• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forrest
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Trigger Doubling

Hey Guys, Is it a common thing, or a possible thing to have a 6.5 Grendel with a 4 lb trigger "two shoot". What is it actually called when the gun shoots two off on it's own?

At first I thought it was from recoil and having a light finger on the trigger. It happened twice in a row, with only two rounds in the Mag. each time.

Then I started to wonder if it might be a combination of a Ruger lower with a 452 trigger and a different Brownells Nitride bolt carrier. Its a little different than the Ruger bolt carrier I had just switched out. The 'two shoot" happened right after the switch.

I finally tried it a third time pulling the trigger back with a little more gusto and it cycled fine for three shots.

This is my first semi auto rifle and first upper assembly so I am a little out of my wheel house. Any thoughts?
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I had a Timney (3.5# I think) that doubled on me a few times, and I'm talking maybe 3 instances over several hundred rounds. I think it is due to the rifle recoiling and bouncing back into your trigger finger. When I would focus on keeping the trigger held after the shot broke and then allowing it to reset, it ran fine.

Comment

• Forrest
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2017

Thanks Drillboss, That's what I meant by light finger but having it happen twice right after changing that carrier got my imagination wound up.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

My first Geissele SSA-E randomly double tapped on me a few times. I called them about it and I had a tracking number for the replacement in about 2 hours.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

If that trigger has a short overtravel then it's possible those were finger induced double taps. When you pull the trigger make a conscious effort to come all the back, hold and then release after the bcg has fully cycled. If the doubles go away then it's likely they were finger induced. If they don't then it's possible that your disconnector is occasionally late and you're getting hammer follow strikes.
          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• howl
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Continuing to use a trigger that is known to fire more than one shot per pull is a legal offense last time I heard. If that is in fact the case here, and I'm not saying it is, disassemble that ASAP and let the manufacturer have it back. Most likely it is user error, but if it is mechanical you don't want that around.

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

That's called a bumpfire. You've got a sloppy trigger finger. I did the same thing first time I shot my Grendel which was also my first AR. Until you get use to the trigger make sure you hold the trigger all the way back after firing and then slowly let off the trigger until it resets. Take your time with it until you get the feel of it. It's different from a bolt gun, were you can use a super light touch and not have to worry about the reset.
              Last edited by 65Whelen; 01-15-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• Forrest
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                That's called a bumpfire. You've got a sloppy trigger finger. I did the same thing first time I shot my Grendel which was also my first AR. Until you get use to the trigger make sure you hold the trigger all the way back after firing and then slowly let off the trigger until it resets. Take your time with it until you get the feel of it. It's different from a bolt gun, were you can use a super light touch and not have to worry about the reset.
                What is odd is that it started doing it after I changed out the carrier. I have 80-100 rounds with Ruger carrier that went with original complete rifle

Comment

• Forrest
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

And normally I get alot of compliments about my trigger finger.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2017

This happened to a buddy of mine with a Stag Arms. Didn't do it until he'd shot it quite a bit, and then only randomly. After some measuring, we found some parts in the fcg were on the edge of being in spec which caused tolerance stacking. Swapping the sear with one from another gun solved the issue. These were mil spec triggers, not the 452, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Comment

• Forrest
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2017

Thanks for all the tips Guys,

Im going to try another lower I have with a different trigger, swap the carrier back and forth, and stiffen up my finger and see what happens. I must admit I almost needed a paints change when it happened.

Comment

• sschefer
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2018

I'm with the other person that said it's bolt bounce. Change to the next heavier buffer and it may cure the problem.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                          And normally I get alot of compliments about my trigger finger.
                          Sorry I didn't mean to offend your finger, I'm sure it's a fine finger you can be proud of.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by howl View Post
                            Continuing to use a trigger that is known to fire more than one shot per pull is a legal offense last time I heard. If that is in fact the case here, and I'm not saying it is, disassemble that ASAP and let the manufacturer have it back. Most likely it is user error, but if it is mechanical you don't want that around.
                            Not necessarily. The ATF has stated that binary triggers are not illegal as they fire one shot per trigger pull, then one shot on trigger release. Franklin Armory went to a lot of trouble to get that right.

The pull and release are separate actions and the gun will not continue to fire as long as the trigger is held down so the gun isn't fully "automatic."

If the OP's gun is firing in a binary manner (one on pull, one on release) then it may not be illegal, though it would not be functioning as designed and would have some real safety issues.
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Randy99CL
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Johnny's Reloading Bench had a recent video where his 6.5G AR went full-auto and emptied the mag (4-5 rounds) with each trigger pull. He's had the gun for over a year and fired it hundreds of times; it's not likely a sudden buffer or bolt problem.
                              It's got an aftermarket trigger (I don't remember the brand) that he's returning for replacement.
                              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                              X