• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Johnny's Reloading Bench had a recent video where his 6.5G AR went full-auto and emptied the mag (4-5 rounds) with each trigger pull. He's had the gun for over a year and fired it hundreds of times; it's not likely a sudden buffer or bolt problem.
    It's got an aftermarket trigger (I don't remember the brand) that he's returning for replacement.
    Two times that happened to him, same brand of trigger, on his third out of another lower.

Legality aside (depending on who, what, where, why, when and the current mood of an ATF agent if they get involved) continued use is in very poor judgement if it is verified as the trigger, strictly from a safety standpoint.

I would occasionally get doubles and triples on my PSL, but that was shooter induced (free recoil, milking the trigger, other improper shooting techniques = bump fire).
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

A few years ago, a friend brought me his MSR that went full auto while out pig hunting. Turned out that the sear spring was soft and not reseting properly. Changed that out and all was well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by just_john View Post
        A few years ago, a friend brought me his MSR that went full auto while out pig hunting. Turned out that the sear spring was soft and not reseting properly. Changed that out and all was well.
        This is the first I've heard of a sear spring in the AR15. What spring are you referring to?

There are a few springs in the fire control group:
        Hammer spring
        Trigger return spring
        Disconnector spring
        Selector/Safety detent spring
        (Hammer J-pin for retaining the hammer pin)
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Forrest
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2017

Well I feel like a dink now. Everything is working fine. I put 40 or so down range trying everything I could to get it to trigger double. I think it must of been a combination of -15, gloves, heavy coat, awkward shooting table.

Now with the heat on and a hole cut through my shop door everyone is happy, happy, happy.

In my defence I had just put in new bolt carrier and it was the first test fire.

Thanks again to everyone that spoke up. It's worth a million to get quick advice.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I think what was going on is that you weren't letting the trigger go back fully forward so the sear was very near releasing the hammer and when the BCG slammed forward that gave just enough forward impulse to the rifle with you holding trigger pressure to trip the sear and bam. Different BCG weights would of course have different impulses and one might fire it and the other not. Don't feel like the lone ranger - you didn't discover this effect and many have already gone there before you.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Forrest
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

Good idea Crusty,

I think I had been using a SP1 style (Ruger 556 MPR) and replaced it with Brownell m16 type. It looked heavier, not sure how much more it would weigh. And I knew I was also guilty of bad follow through.

Comment

Working...
                X