• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • realtreehunter
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

Coyotes with Hornady Black

Has anyone killed any yotes with the Hornady black, 123grn ELD-M yet? if so how did it do? Did it exit? Did it make a big hole? I have trail cam pics of a solid black yote carrying turkeys in its mouth so not only would i like to kill him but I would like to do something with his hide besides throw it away. Experience shared would be appreciated, pics would be awesome!!!
    Last edited by realtreehunter; 01-15-2018, 04:19 AM. Reason: changed Amax to ELD-M
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

I am not aware of any Hornady Black Amax, only ELD-M. I have shot 2 with ELD-M 123 gr. The first was a nasty mange coyote with a facing/lengthwise neck shot and the bullet did not exit...

The second coyote was shot at an odd quartering away angle and the bullet hit the spine before exiting with a large exit wound and then reconnecting with the head.

Given the frangible nature of these rounds, I would not say that they are particularly fur-friendly.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• realtreehunter
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

Thanks DNS, great videos as always. Is there a factory loaded fur friendly round for the Grendel? Without going to PF and buying
      $100 a box barnes loads?

Comment

• Wafavre2
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Fur friendly= FMJ

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

There have been several threads over the years discussing pelt damage on coyotes, foxes and bobcats. If you use the google custom search feature on the 6.5 Grendel forum you’ll find several pertinent threads. One forum member toolsofthetrade has used the 6.5 Grendel with 95 grain V-Max for coyotes and has made videos. In a couple of the threads there is discussion about using Norma 120 grain FMJ and having minimal pelt damage.

Here is a link to one such thread.

i would love to use my light 16 inch grendel for some bobcat dispatch but with as little pelt damage as possible. maybe lower loaded velocity 95 grain bullets? of course i understand that shot placement is most important but what about it? maybe just a bad idea. i have a rather heavy 22 magnum bolt action but it is heavy and

Here is a link to the google custom search.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-15-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Forrest
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2017

I had a tanned red fox hide up on the wall for years. The bullet hole in it made it better. Its a 5-6 inch compound rip on exit side and everybody always commented on that feature. In all the varmints i've shot over the years I really cant say if fmj helped or not.

Comment

• realtreehunter
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2016

Thanks guys, I will probably try the 90grain tnt from night ops or just pull out the 223.

Comment

• Djgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2016

If saving the dark dogs hide for display is your secondary goal, I suggest a heavy weight slug for caliber moving at a relatively slow speed. It won't expand much if any. Clean hole in and out. No experience doing such with the grendel, but I have had good luck with .223/5.56 in a bolt gun with 60 grain soft points at 1400 fps.
                  Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

Working...
                  X