X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tex Nomex
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Remains to be seen how I like the piston kit on this build. Was cool on a 6.8 SPC, but loud on the left-side charger BCG.

This CMR8 was great on the 6.8. I have the older model with a green combat-style reticle, so ranging works best if there's a human standing next to the target. Holdovers work, but ya gotta dope sheet your ammo. I had to do a refresher every trip out. Overall, I like the scope.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Andrew74
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

Nice rifle, what bolt catch is that?

Comment

• Tex Nomex
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Andrew74 View Post
        Nice rifle, what bolt catch is that?
        Thanks.
        LAR.
        That part came on the left side or dual side-chargers because a release pad would hit a left side charging handle.
        Side chargers need no side release pad.
        It looks like it's just a standard release mechanism with the pad machined off.
        Last edited by Tex Nomex; 02-14-2018, 01:39 AM. Reason: clarity
        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• xtultegra
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2018

Very sleek looking rifle! Nicely thought out build!

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
            Not a problem with the 65?
            What sort of eye protection were you wearing? I wear normal eyeglasses to shoot. My eyes felt like a gravel pit after 20 rounds last time I was out with that upper DI.
            My carrier has no bolt exhaust holes on the left and only one on the right... Maybe better gas relief on the right would help. What's your bolt carrier look like?
            I just wear normal eyeglasses sometimes no glasses and I don't notice anything hitting me in the eyes.
            I never tried to figure out where the gas goes.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

So... I completely forgot to follow up on this thread.

The first time I took her out, I was not impressed with the piston action. Even when adjusted to minimal gas, cycling was a jolt, making follow up shots difficult. Probably a combination of heavier bullet than the .223 and the heavy side charger carrier. I swapped in an adjustable Master of Arms titanium gas block.
              Next, I had some issues seeing through the FFP scope. My eyes are aging and the new reticle on the CMR-8 is cluttered compared to the old, simple one. I swapped that out for a 2-7x Leupold.
              Also, while I love the original rifle stock, it wouldn't fit in my favorite 2-gun carry bag. That stock got swapped out for a FAB Defense GL-Shock stock I had lying around which put the balance point exactly at the sidecharger charging handle - the point of balance of a full or empty mag. Perfect. In the beauty shot, the rifle is balancing on the charging handle.
              I've been out to the range a number of times and it's a tack driver with Hornady 123gr BTHP. I've included a shot of what it does with 100gr Wolf at 50 (3 shots on target) and 100 yds (7 shots on target) a couple of days ago. I had planned to spend more time with the Grendel, but spent all afternoon trying to sight in a troublesome .22 rifle which under closer inspection had a stripped screw on one of its scope rings. AAAAARRRRRRRGH!

I love this Grendel. It's set to shoot ~3.3" high at 100yds for an 8" MPBR of ~290yds.

If I remember, I'll update soon with some better groups with better bullets.

Grendel3smaller.jpg
              Grendel65Wolfsmall.jpg
              GrendelWt1small.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X