• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tigerfan07
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Coyote calling question

I have a handheld electronic coyote call (no remote) that I plan to use this season. I also have a stand that I plan on hunting from. Will it be a mistake to call from an elevated stand? Will they realize that the call is up in the trees and know somethings up?

Thanks
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

Only thing you can do is try it. My feeling is they will definitely know it's up there but only when they get close enough for a shot.

Comment

• Djgrendel
      Warrior
      • Feb 2016

How long will your calling device sound without human interaction? If it will keep running until you shut it off I would leave it on the ground 20 yards or so away. They will key in the caller and give you some minor freedom to move to take a shot
      Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Tigerfan07
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Djgrendel View Post
        How long will your calling device sound without human interaction? If it will keep running until you shut it off I would leave it on the ground 20 yards or so away. They will key in the caller and give you some minor freedom to move to take a shot

Comment

• AZBackcountry
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

Can you put a wired speaker on the ground that is plugged or wired into to the handheld. For my old Johnny Stewart, I made up a 60 foot of speaker wire from a hard wired bent up metal cone truck radio speaker and a RC plug on the base end. The base speaker turns off when the other speaker is plugged in. I rattle canned camo'd the speaker and wire.
          Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Just use bird and squirrel calls if you're stuck with the sound in the tree. Then put a coaxer on the ground. Movement of your silhouette in the sky will be your biggest challenge. Predators have an unbelievable easy time seeing the slightest flicker.

My son and I both have FoxPro remote calls, we will put one on the ground at 20-40 yards in front of us with a coaxer and another in a tree above it on a hill with a raven call not downwind.
            Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• hbp
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2014

I call from a stand quite a bit and they don’t seem to notice. If anything ithelps because they have a harder time locating the source of the call. They don’t look for a dieing rabbit up in a tree and spend time walking around it. I normally start with short quiet calls and get longer and louder until something shows up.

Comment

Working...
              X