• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfm1851
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

putting my first 6.5 grendel together

I searched the internet for this information but all I could find were places wanting to sell me something. Maybe I need to buy something but don't know what yet. So I swapped out an AR15 upper in .223 to a 6.5 Grendel. Pretty straight deal really all I needed to do was swap out bolt from .223 to 6.5. Then I wanted to change stock from fixed to adjustable. That's where I started questioning myself. All I did was take off fixed stock, buffer, tube and spring and replace with one that came with adjustable stock. I don't know the brand of the stock as I had it from some other build I had. Now I start reading the I need to change weight on buffer? Need flat coils spring and should get a heavier bolt carrier? I'm reading about buffers and bolt carriers wearing out. Bolts breaking, all sorts of nightmares. I can not seem to get answers on the net just ads to buy stuff. So I am here looking for advice. Oh upper is 20" and I believe has rifle length gas block?

What must I do? What should I do? And what if any adverse effects will I encounter? My shooting is for target only and I do shoot a lot.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

You should be GTG if you replaced the tube, buffer and spring with the one that came with your new stock.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bfm1851 View Post
      I searched the internet for this information but all I could find were places wanting to sell me something. Maybe I need to buy something but don't know what yet. So I swapped out an AR15 upper in .223 to a 6.5 Grendel. Pretty straight deal really all I needed to do was swap out bolt from .223 to 6.5. Then I wanted to change stock from fixed to adjustable. That's where I started questioning myself. All I did was take off fixed stock, buffer, tube and spring and replace with one that came with adjustable stock. I don't know the brand of the stock as I had it from some other build I had. Now I start reading the I need to change weight on buffer? Need flat coils spring and should get a heavier bolt carrier? I'm reading about buffers and bolt carriers wearing out. Bolts breaking, all sorts of nightmares. I can not seem to get answers on the net just ads to buy stuff. So I am here looking for advice. Oh upper is 20" and I believe has rifle length gas block?

What must I do? What should I do? And what if any adverse effects will I encounter? My shooting is for target only and I do shoot a lot.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
      Rifle stocks require rifle tube (long and thin), rifle buffer (long), rifle spring (long).
      Adjustable (carbine) stocks require carbine tube, carbine buffer, carbine spring.
      Don't mix these up and everything will be fine.

Parts wear on all firearms over time and they will eventually need replacement. Just a fact of all things mechanical. Your experience shooting Grendel box ammo thru paper should differ very little from shooting .223 other than felt recoil and accuracy at distance.

A stock carbine buffer should work fine for you in your new carbine tube. If you start having actual cycling issues, you can ask questions and the folks here will help you thru it.

If you haven't already, you need to purchase Grendel-specific magazines to shoot the 65Grendel. They are metal and are basically the same as a 6.8 SPC magazines with a slightly different follower.

After you get the mags and ammo, stick to the basics, shoot your rifle, and enjoy it.
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• bfm1851
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2018

Thank you for all the help. I went out the other day to teat it out. I did have two failure to eject. not sure if it was related to anything I did or that it was only about 40 degrees out and the lube may have been a little thick. Have to get out again once it warms up here. It's 12 degrees this morning and that just ain't right for Texas

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Some Grendel barrels are port-sized for using carbine buffers and springs. A carbine set (buffer, spring) can be used in a rifle stock if you insert a rifle-carbine adapter plug into the rifle tube first - I have done this on two of my Grrr's in order to use the fixed length rifle stock yet stay "carbine" underneath. The rifle stock reduces the # of motion-points during the shot. For my other ones I'm using carbine adjustable stock but one that has a lock on it (Magpul CTR style).

Your 2 FTEj's could be lube (I tend to run pretty dry but that's just me) or also be due to breakin, until the bolt, gas rings, BC chamber etc get settled in together. If you're still having trouble it would be time to do some troubleshooting, which the pros on here will help you.
          In my case I improved my gun and smoothed everything out by using a Spike's T2 buffer and the JP centerless spring (again, carbine length) (not the SCS thingy altho others like that one a lot)... they weren't actually necessary but helped slow things down/smooth out the shot just a bit and helps me stay on target somewhat better... I can use all the help I can get!!
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

As grayfox said, new barrel and bolt probably need a little break in before you change anything.
            I would lube a little more than necessary with new parts.

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bfm1851 View Post
              Pretty straight deal really all I needed to do was swap out bolt from .223 to 6.5.
              ... I'm reading about buffers and bolt carriers wearing out. Bolts breaking, all sorts of nightmares. I can not seem to get answers on the net...
              First off verify the bolt type matches your barrel ( type 1 = .125" / Type 2 = .136" ). You didn't mention the type of chamber in the barrel.
              To keep the rifle from self destruction, an adjustable gas block would be nice but not necessary! Once adjusted correctly, the AGB will keep the buffer from slamming into the end of the buffer tube and make shooting the rifle a lot nicer - but parts will still wear because it is a machine!
              Bolts may break, buffers will come apart, etc., etc., etc. don't let the fear of this happening keep you away from this caliber - those problems can/will happen with any caliber if you don't do your due diligence - inspect rifle, clean rifle, use CORRECT parts, inspect ammo, reload correctly, etc., etc., etc.

Comment

• bfm1851
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

guys I did not use new barrel and bolt. Got on a trade and bolt and barrel are suppose to be a matched pair. From the condition when I received, it was not shot much but was dirty. I cleaned everything up, put that bolt into my carrier and figured all would be good. Then I started researched on this round and got started to get worried. This is not my first build, changed over savage .308 to 6.5 Creedmore but I guess I got some bad information when I first started reading about the 6.5 Grendel. I want to make sure I have the right parts for this caliber and I read a lot of "opinions" on what should be done and started second guessing what I was doing.
                Glad to hear that what I have is good to go. I can up grade parts later as I try to dial in accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                X