• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

2017 Appalachain Whitetail

I was not able to get out and hunt as much as usual this past year, but I was fortunate enough to put two good eaters in the freezer thanks to some new builds based on Faxon barrels from group buys.

The first doe was shot at 95 paces on the second day of rifle season with my second mini-recce, this one built around a 12" Faxon barrel. I came out of my stand just before dusk and checked one of the two fields on the property before heading to camp. I saw a cluster of does on the far end and this one a little closer. I steadied my gun on the barbwire fence and waited for a buck that never came. I ended up pulling the trigger on this one right before the end of shooting time. The factory SST entered just back of the shoulder in the boiler room, the doe took about 4 steps and went down.
    Faxon12.jpg

The second doe was shot around noon on Thanksgiving day out of my climbing stand at about 187 paces with a rifle I built around a 16" Faxon barrel. I had been in the stand since before light and hadn't seen nor heard much activity at all. I was close to getting out of my stand but heard three shot from across the river. I stayed in my stand to see if something would come my way and sure enough about 10 minutes later this doe trotted out into the field, I whistled, it stopped and I shot. The factory SST entered just back of the shoulder in the vitals, the doe bounded about 30 yards and went down.
    Faxon16.jpg

I really enjoy hunting with SBR Grendels they seem to be the perfect rifle for the areas of Appalachia I hunt. There are few opportunities to shoot over 250 yards. (I rarely shoot at game out to 200.) The SSTs are awesome, they go in the size of a dime and come out the size of a fist! They always do their job when I do mine.
    Last edited by jim_bob; 01-17-2018, 01:20 AM.
  • Djgrendel
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Good work. The grendel is a sweet cartridge.
    Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

I can smell the venison sausage cooking! Awesome!

Comment

• HowaGrendel
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

Good deal....Short barrel ( Pistol ) AR's in many calibers with a smooth rifle length buffer tube/arm brace combo are becoming more popular as light hunting rifles in area's where you won't get long shots....

Comment

• sierracharlie338
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

That sounds like a good season. I got to hunt once and luckily was able to get some meat for the freezer. Hopefully Ill be able to break in my new grendel will record some kills this upcoming year.

Comment

Working...
          X