• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdblastingbrad
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Indiana Deer Hunting Pistol

I live in Indiana, where the 6.5 Grendel, nor any other suitable whitetail caliber are not legal for deer hunting on public land. 2017 I used a .300 blackout pistol, but my ears have demanded that I order a suppressor (which is legal for use on said pistol). I have killed deer out to 200 yards with it, and was pretty impressed with the performance of the supersonic 110g barnes bullet. That got me thinking, would a 6.5 grendel in a 12.5" pistol configuration be a viable alternative? I already have and reload for my 20" Grendel, so that would make for a common caliber.

My question is this: Will I see any advantage with the Grendel over the blackout in terms of knockdown power? Increased effective range? Sound suppression? What would be a decent scope (power) to mount on it? I'm running a 1.5-5 power on the blackout. I typically have a open shooting range of 50 yards out to over 350 yards, depending on where I'm hunting.

Feedback is appreciated in advance.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Lots of 12.5 pistol shooters on here... and from what I've read, yes on knockdown, yes on range, you'd still want to do the suppression thing I'll bet, I personally would go for a 3-9 scope but scopes are very much personal choices depending on eyes and other factors...
    I'll let the 12.5 users chime in but I think you'll be real happy with what it can do in such a pistol.
    Also if you haven't yet ordered the Grendel handbooks from AR15buildbox.com you really ought to get them, they are a BIG help.

I grew up in Marion - welcome to the horde!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Jakal
      Warrior
      • May 2014

What's the shortest grendel SBR you've experienced? I already have a 12.5" but wondered if there was any logic to building something shorter for a PDW.
      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

I'd say a 12.5" Grendel pistol would definitely be more than a viable option. The 6.5 grendel will shoot much flatter over similar distance. Using the right bullet and load you could use an even shorter 6.5 grendel and still achieve terminal velocity past 200 yards. I used a 300 Blackout for hunting before I switched to SBR Grendels. No way I'd go back.

Comment

Working...
        X