• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

scope options

Currently running a 2x7 redfield revolution on my 18" grendel. Main use is plinking with some target shooting and a little hunting of whitetails at ranges out to 300 yards. Have been bitten by the bug and really would like to upgrade the scope to something thats a little quicker to get on target but still allows good accuracy to shoot targets to 300 and hit 6" plates to 500 yards.

Currently that thinking has me looking at 1x6 scopes thinking that they would suffice for all the intended purposes. But maybe I am asking to much of one optic/gun combo and will end up with something that does nothing great. I have a budget of 500 max and that budget is making it hard to find exactly what I am looking for. So far these are the scopes I have looked at.

Primary arms 1x6 acss- reviews look good, scopes a bit on the heavy side 16 Oz but looks like it would work for everything I am looking for, new warranty is lifetime but if PA goes belly up then its worthless and while PA is a decent company they aren't vortex or leupold.
    vortex strike eagle 1x6 similar to PA(many say its the same scope) good warranty heavy at 17Oz
    leupold 1x4's- can find a few different models in my price range. Probably the best scopes but 4x might be a little lacking for some of my purposes. Nice thing is for hunting these scopes are all much lighter than the competition.
    burris mtac 1.5x6x42 - most reviews say the glass and eye box are on par with the leupold and its warranty is as well. Actually lighter than all options except the leupolds but I don't know if the 1.5 would be near as good as the other 1x's as far as shooting both eyes open. Also the field of view isn't good at all
    New burris 1x6 looks promising but its new so not many reviews and its heavy at 17.4 Oz.

Any input on these scopes or others I am missing? thanks
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I like to decide on the min magnification first.
    Have you hunted these areas before? What are the chances you will jump a deer close enough that 1x is appropriate?
    Is there any chance that a 2x minimum would work for you?
    I've been looking at 1-6x scopes myself but there are some really good ones with 2-8x and 2-10x that would be better at longer ranges.
    Natchez has a great price on a Weaver: https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-...cle-matte.html
    Or this Nikon: https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-mona...cle-matte.html
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

That Weaver is a good match and a steal at that price.

Comment

• bakabone25
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I have a sightron PTAC o on e of my grendels. It is a 2.5 x 17 power, so it works great close and long range. Its a really good glass too. I also have a viper pts, and the PTAC is pretty close to it. I'd sure buy another if i had the need.

Comment

• pajasonc
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          I like to decide on the min magnification first.
          Have you hunted these areas before? What are the chances you will jump a deer close enough that 1x is appropriate?
          Is there any chance that a 2x minimum would work for you?
          I've been looking at 1-6x scopes myself but there are some really good ones with 2-8x and 2-10x that would be better at longer ranges.
          Natchez has a great price on a Weaver: https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-...cle-matte.html
          Or this Nikon: https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-mona...cle-matte.html
          The 2x7 redfield I have on it now is fine for hunting but its just so so for longer range shooting and not great for close quarters either. Was thinking the 1x6 would work well for hunting and close quarters.

Comment

• Crusty
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I've been hearing good things about Athlon scopes (like Vortex but half the cost without a lifetime warranty).
            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
              I've been hearing good things about Athlon scopes (like Vortex but half the cost without a lifetime warranty).
              I acquired one on a package deal, 6x24 FFP mil/mil Horus type reticle. Basically the same as the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x.

The focus and IIRC parallax is opposite rotation than the Vortex.

The Athlon is brighter at full magnification. Might have a bit more clarity as well. Longevity on an AR however is the question.

ARs are much harsher on optics than bolt actions. We already know that Vortex will hold up, especially the Gen II, and if it does fail, it has the lifetime warranty.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• gmaxx
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Have you looked at the 1-8 Strike Eagle? Its lighter than the 1-6 and is well within your price range. I haven't used one, but I have the 1-6 version on a 11.5 in grendel and it has worked very well out to 300, haven't had the opportunity to take it farther yet.

Comment

• Brett
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
                  Actually, Athlon has a lifetime warranty too.

Comment

• pajasonc
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by gmaxx View Post
                    Have you looked at the 1-8 Strike Eagle? Its lighter than the 1-6 and is well within your price range. I haven't used one, but I have the 1-6 version on a 11.5 in grendel and it has worked very well out to 300, haven't had the opportunity to take it farther yet.
                    Yes have considered the strike eagle but its basically the same scope as the primary arms. Think I am leaning towards the new burris rt-6. Made in phillipines instead of china and most people say they have significantly better glass. Burris is 1 OZ heavier than the lightest vortex. I still wish someone made a 1x6 that weighed similar to the leupold scopes but in the 500 dollar range.

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                      But maybe I am asking to much of one optic/gun combo and will end up with something that does nothing great.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• lastlaugh
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2018

I think the scope you have on it is perfect for what you are asking.

The PA and Vortex are both the same scope, and heavy for what they are. I also dont think either of those are as good as the redfield/leupold glass to my eyes.

The burris is a step up in quality, but also heavier and less magnification range than you currently have on the Redfield. (will affect the target shooting)

The Redfield has as good of quality glass as any you mentioned, with more magnification, but lighter than all you mentioned.

i would save up for a true step up in quality if thats what you are looking for. However, dont let anyone tell you the scope you have wont do the job just fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X