• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Hello fellow fans, from Alberta

A hunter only from Alberta here who hasn't built up a rifle in a number of years but now with all the support for the Grendel i'm back!

I am going to do a head to head on a cz527 and howa mini in an mdt lss soon, old school vs new school, same cartridge, from brand new, so figured i'd say hi first.

Status currently is the cz527 is pillar/glass bedded, action cycled a couple hundred times with jb bore compound, polish magazine feed lips, got the trigger down to 2.25 lbs crisp with a little locktite on the creep adjustment screw which would just loosen adding creep to max with a bit of dry fire. Has 7 rounds on it, 2nd 3 shot group did moa with eld-m so things are looking up as am happy with a little under moa for a hunting rig. What a gem of a rifle, my 2nd 527 and if the effort is put into them, yes it's a pain in the ass to bring them to their best with smithing and fiddling but when they are slicked up and bedded they just make me happy. Lot's of pride of ownership in a rig like that! It's being developed with a different scope on initial set up but will wear a leupold fxII 6x36(10oz) with wide duplex and standard 7/8" target knob for elevation and eventually a speed dial turret to match after drop data collected.

The howa barrelled action in 20" #1 contour is on it's way. The chassis is all ready to go, may be a month before i see that action though.

Will compare the works, specs, weights, feel, steps required to get them where happy with accuracy/function etc., chrony results, accuracy results at same round counts, and the overall opinions. I know i'll love and appreciate both for various reasons. Both with be set up to dial out to at least 600 and drop data collected for speed dial turrents etc. Both will hunt combined big game/predators. One is likely going to be dad's gun(mine) and the other the boys (now 9 and soon to be 11) will likely run, you can guess which, and if the howa turns out to be what i think then i'll have to build a duplicate so each boy can run one while dad handles the calling duties and the cz. It will be a grendel family. And yup...other guns collecting dust are going up for sale, some sweet stuff too but i'm obsessed with this cartridge...Way to go Bill!

I remember drooling about this cartridge in a cz527 a long time ago and guys were starting to barrel them etc. but saw a recent hunt mag with gear best of etc. and the cz was shown and that was it...back in the firearms gear junky scene. Wasn't long till i saw the howa and this new chassis phenomenon...excellent time to get back in!

See you guys soon with this and thanks for all the good info posted!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum Stinky Coyote! I’m eagerly awaiting to see your comparisons between the CZ & Howa. It appears the velocities on hammer forged barrels go up as the barrels wear in. Kind of curious to see the difference in velocities between Howa and Cz’s 24” barrel.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Thanks, ya i'm foggy on the velocity increase, i'll google it a bit to see what rules of thumb are for round count to get to it's typical life velocity? Isn't it roughly 200 rounds?

I'll be back when i can. Should get a few more rounds on the cz this weekend. All cleaned up and ready to go after first 7, will get it up to 20 rounds, maybe have some sub moa action going on? Won't start the main comparison thread until it's all over, likely late spring.

Cheers,

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Stinky from North Texas. The Grendel has really long legs. Missed a shot at 430 yards last evening, and I am upset with me for the miss.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Welcome Stinky, I too am looking forward to reading your reports. I'm getting ready to venture into the bolt Grendel, and am interested especially in your impressions of the Howa #1. What chassis have you chosen?
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            Welcome Stinky, I too am looking forward to reading your reports. I'm getting ready to venture into the bolt Grendel, and am interested especially in your impressions of the Howa #1. What chassis have you chosen?
            MDT LSS chassis, with magpul commercial spec ctr stock so far put together waiting on the Howa.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Very nice. Our aims align. Very interested indeed. The more I read the more I am convinced I want an action/chassis vs. a complete rifle to disassemble. I really like the MBT systems. Wish XLR made one for Howa mini actions.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Welcome in Stinky, C- That rifle build sounds cool.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Stinky, from the Great Nation of Texas! Would be great to see how the new Ruger stacks up with the other two.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                    Welcome to the Clan, Stinky, from the Great Nation of Texas! Would be great to see how the new Ruger stacks up with the other two.
                    Lol if anyone wants to send me one I'll gladly give it the equal treatment!��

Thanks guys. I hope the popularity and options increase! And ya it looks to me like the chassis set ups may be the way of the future? I think the chassis makers, or unseen opportunity, is chassis for the hunting guys...bring on lighter, sleeker, less tactical chassis please!

I've done preliminary weights on my two projects. The will be nearly identical before scope. I think the mdt lss could be Swiss cheesed and slabbed a bit more to get weight down. Throw a titanium stock folder and could be another great sheep hunters option...we are an obsessed lot.��

Comment

Working...
                    X