• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vipereaper30
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

First Grendel Builds - BCA & PSA?

I just purchased 6 80% lowers and would like to build them all fairly stock with decent but inexpensive parts. To keep things easy (I'm pretty lazy) I'm looking at Bear Creek for complete uppers and Palmetto State for the lower build kit with an upgraded trigger. My plan is to later upgrade parts for each build as I have time and figure out more what I'd like/need. Overall budget right now is probably $3,500 for all 6.

I'm curious to know what others think about BCA and PSA from a quality/price perspective.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The last PSA lpk I got was short a bolt catch spring and the detents seemed really cheap compared to the CMMG and RRA lower parts kits I've used. Another option to consider is buying a RRA National Match lower parts kit. You can get these kits for $109 from right to bear. I like the Larue MBT 2S trigger a little better than the RRA NM but I like to look at all the options, prices and features.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from PSA but if you decide to buy from PSA look everything over really good. I hate to start working on things and find out I was shorted a part or got a defective part.

For the number of uppers your wanting to buy at least BCA has many options and give a good military discount. BCA customer service seems to resolve issue pretty quickly.

If your willing to use A-2 grip and mil type 6 position collapsable stock you can save a good bit of money but still get very serviceable AR-15's. I've bought a couple of DS Arms butt stock kits from Primary Arms and they seem to be good quality and reasonably priced.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-19-2018, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I bought a LPK from Strike Industries for spare parts mostly due to the price and I was surprised at the good quality of the parts in it. I even changed out my selector for the Strike because it was better than the perfectly functional one in my rifle. I also bought an older CMMG LPK that was top notch. The PSA LPK I bought was nothing to write home about but it all worked.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• zcostilla
        Warrior
        • Aug 2017

If you’re going to use a trigger upgrade (especially a drop-in) and want anything other than an A2 pistol grip, you can get a LPK without those two components as cheap as $25 from Brownells.
        -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Depends what they're intended use will be?

Home/personal defense, I'd build them with real "mil-spec" quality parts. I prefer BCM but there are others. Buy once, cry once. The quality will be appreciated long after the price has been forgotten! And it's often cheaper in the long run, not having to replace parts as often. Just saying.........

Range hammers and/or hunting rigs, I use a ton of PSA stuff and to date am satisfied. Their "Premium" BCG and EPT Trigger kits when on sale are great values. Sure a part here or there turns up missing but I kind of expect that for the cost. I just carry more spares, works for me.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

I tend to use Anderson LPKs. I don't care for the triggers too much, but they are serviceable until I can afford upgrades. The Anderson LPKs tend to be good quality and consistent. I've tried some cheaper ones and have had troubles. The springs and detents in Guntech LPKs are horrid for example. PSA has pretty decent LPKs. About like Anderson, but maybe not as consistent.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
              I tend to use Anderson LPKs. I don't care for the triggers too much, but they are serviceable until I can afford upgrades. The Anderson LPKs tend to be good quality and consistent. I've tried some cheaper ones and have had troubles. The springs and detents in Guntech LPKs are horrid for example. PSA has pretty decent LPKs. About like Anderson, but maybe not as consistent.

Thats where, IMO , the PSA kits have an edge, but only if you'll shop the LPK with the EPT trigger. Enhanced Polished Trigger, nickle plated, and super smooth, slick, slippery......very nice!

On sale the trigger alone can be had for as low as $29.99 delivered. And is a huge improvement over a bargain basement "stock" trigger.

Shop the PSA daily deals and you can score them included in a LPK. Here's one with an ambi safety as well!

Then get a "purple" ALG Defense (Geissele) reduced weight mainspring for $6, and you have a super smooth, light, single stage trigger for hunting or shooting groups. All in for less than $40!

Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-27-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

I've beem burned by PSA LPKs twice. Neither set of pins will break in, neither will push at all without a punch. I'm in the process of decided when to buy two BCM LPKs and re-build these. I wil have two free LPKs at that point looking for homes...
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                  I've beem burned by PSA LPKs twice. Neither set of pins will break in, neither will push at all without a punch. I'm in the process of decided when to buy two BCM LPKs and re-build these. I wil have two free LPKs at that point looking for homes...
                  Interesting, I have them in 6 or 7 guns and they work fine. They are snug, no doubt about that but, I can pop them out of detent with my finger.

Wonder if it depends on which lower you're using? I've got them in PSA and Spike's lowers, with PSA, Aero Precision and BCM uppers.

I do hit the tip of the safety detent with a file, then stone, to round it off, soften them up some. Other than that, no other mods.
                  Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-27-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Cross Machine and Tool ambi billet lower, DPMS Slick side thick wall upper. PSA set. Neither will push. It gets rediculous. I can't even push it with the tip of a 5.56. It takes a hammer. I've tried grinding the detents, no avail. The holes drilled in the pins to accept the detents appear too deep. And too steep for the detents to climb back out of. I bought the kits two years apart, and was willing to give the second another try, but not any more. It's not worth saving 50 bucks to cuss myself every time I start to break down my rifles to clean them...
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                      Cross Machine and Tool ambi billet lower, DPMS Slick side thick wall upper. PSA set. Neither will push. It gets rediculous. I can't even push it with the tip of a 5.56. It takes a hammer. I've tried grinding the detents, no avail. The holes drilled in the pins to accept the detents appear too deep. And too steep for the detents to climb back out of. I bought the kits two years apart, and was willing to give the second another try, but not any more. It's not worth saving 50 bucks to cuss myself every time I start to break down my rifles to clean them...
                      Well, there is your problem. Your cleaning your rifles too much!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Huzzah! The wife will be happy to hear this. She'll get her dining room table back.

Comment

Working...
                        X