• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CastAway
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Hey From TN

Hey! First post!

Been lurking for a bit. Researching my first AR/Build. Tons of questions. Looking forward to digging in here.

Started by researching 5.56/.223 and learned of the 6.5 as a harder hitting alternative. Then, learned of the long range ballistic advantages of the round. Now, considering an 18" Odin Works barrel, trying to straddle the line between a battle rifle and target. Overwhelming really.

Cheers to everyone.

jlb
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Welcome CastAway.
    There is a lot of useful information on this forum.
    I have searched past threads and found most questions have been asked and answered.
    I am not trying to discourage you from asking questions but I have found some different opinions in past threads.

Comment

• CastAway
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

Yup. Thanks @bj139

Using the search heavily.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum CastAway. The 18" 6.5 Grendel will produce about 2470-2480 FPS with 123 grain bullets. A 20" 6.5 Grendel will usually average 2500-2525 FPS with 123 grain ammo. Depending on your elevation above sea level you can target shoot from 800 to 1000 yards. Not the best cartridge for 1000 yards but it can be done. 6.5 Grendel is inherently accurate cartridge.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-19-2018, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Welcome to the Horde House CA.

Here's what I know about 6.5 Grendel : It's a hard hitting precision round - you'll know it too the first time you hit steel at 300 yards and it goes WHANG! when you couldn't even hear 5.56 on the same target. And all the OdinWorks parts I've seen have been really good.

I chose 18" because I wanted a paper puncher and a deer/hog puncher in the same rifle. I also keep a 16" 5.56 configured for defense around the house ready to go.
          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Randy99CL
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Yes, Welcome CA! I love TN, was stationed in Millington for a year many moons ago.

There is a Faxon group buy 18" barrel available here, I can't say from personal experience but it may be the best 18" out there for the money. What say the horde; is the Faxon (less than $200) better than the OW?

Funny Tennessee story: Some of the guys I was in Navy school with lived in a house trailer. One afternoon we were hanging out and a tornado went right over the trailer (we were incredibly lucky!) and touched down a mile away on the Navy base. There was a shack and a dozen 12-foot aluminum rowboats (that we could rent out for fishing) and the tornado just snatched them right up off the ground. Never saw any of them ever again.

I laugh as I imagine some hillbilly sitting on his front porch when a fishing boat falls from the sky. Praise the Lord!
            Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-19-2018, 01:25 AM.
            "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Castaway from North Texas. Unless you are shooting past 1000 yards, you might want to consider a 16 inch barrel.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Welcome CastAway, sit down, read up, cast away and get lost!
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• CastAway
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2018

Comment

• CastAway
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

Last edited by CastAway; 06-17-2018, 03:18 AM. Reason: Oops

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Congratulations on your new Odin build. Happy Father’s Day to you and pictures and range reports are always welcome!

Comment

• 1Shot
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

I have a 18" Oden works barrel rifle that I built and it is a shooter. I am a 7th generation 10-E-C-N. I am up in East TN a rocks throw from VA and NC. If you hand load IMR 8208, CCI 450 primers, Hornady cases and 120 Sierra Pro hunter bullets really shoot in mine. My rifle did not really shoot the factory Hornady 123 SST ammo really well, 1 1/2" at best. joeboboutfitters.com is a good place to get parts for ARs. I put a straight trigger POF 3.5 lb trigger in my rifle I got from them and it was much cheaper than anyplace else. I liked it so much that I bought three more for my other ARs. Welcome to the madness. Warning Grendel's tend to multiply, I have two.
                        Last edited by 1Shot; 06-18-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum castaways. An 18 inch barrel is a good compromise

Comment

• CastAway
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2018

Last edited by CastAway; 07-06-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X