Clear All
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Vortex Gen2 PST

• Brett
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

I would have done the same thing as you. Interesting that they would gone though the refurbished ones to check everything and not the new ones before they send them out for us to test. I have a Gen2 3-15 that the holdover portion of the reticle stopped illuminating. The main horiz. and vert. lines still light up. I have been debating whether or not I want to send it in. If I do, I will want it repaired, or a new one to replace it with.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I see no difference between a repaired scope and a refurbished one.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• SDet
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
        I see no difference between a repaired scope and a refurbished one.
        I was thinking about posting this.

I guess it could be "my scope had illumination issues, the refurbished one could have been run over by a truck". Like why people still love they're ugly annoying children, because they're their ugly annoying children.

I was thinking about a gen 2, surprised to already be seeing failures, not just here.

Comment

• maxxmojo
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

I'd personally would have went with the refurbished one. With a repair/refurb a tech can concentrate on the one unit and fine tune everything pretty well, whereas new production are typically done in batches. While there's obviously quality control procedures in place usually the emphasis is on quantity by a due date, and if it passes the minimum specs then they ship it out the door. Though, as mentioned, usually the refurbs are offered at a discount. I still would have felt ok getting a refurb replacement in this instance, though I'm a "function over form" kind of guy.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Refurbs are typically better than new, for one, they don't want it coming back. I bought two refurbs and can not tell they are used. Keeping my out for another one.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

You will have a new, unmolested scope on your gun either way. It could be refurbished and certified perfect or it could be new and untested.

FWI understand if a scope is badly damaged it won't be refurbished. Only those like yours, new and undamaged but faulty, will be refurbed.

I'd take the refurb. It's likely not much older than brand new and a tech has gone over it and certified it perfect.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

In my experience this is just the gamble you take when buying Vortex. I have had 9 vortex scopes on various rifles and overall I have really enjoyed using them. I have had failures that required me to send in to Vortex on three of them and one had to be repaired twice. I also had one that worked great for me for years that I sold to a board member here and he had to send it in after me. To me that is not a very good percentage of scopes that need repaired but considering you get so much scope for your money its worth the risk. Now, if I had the scope on a rifle that my life depended on I would probably not trust a Vortex scope other than maybe Razor HD which I have on my PRS gun. I have Leupold Mark 4s on the 2 rifles I have designated for defense. That scope does not have all the bells and whistles of say a PST but I know I can drop it off a 2 story building and it will still work.

Comment

• Redomen
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

Thanks for all of your input. Now I’m wondering if I should have gone the refurbished route. Guess if I have to send the second one back I will go refurbished.

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

I have a refurbished PST 6-24X and it is indistinguishable from new.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

If you have to wait 4 weeks for a new one can't you just tell them send the refurb now?

Comment

• lastlaugh
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2018

Agreed. With all the QC problems that Vortex has, its a gamble either way. It comes down to where the refurb happens I guess. Are they refurbished where they are made (China and the Philippines) or here in America?

Comment

• Redomen
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

I’m not sure where the refurb happens. I would guess here since I sent it to a U.S. address. I have a cruise coming up so I’ll be out of pocket for a few weeks anyhow. I don’t mind waiting. I was looking at the new strike eagle for my 18” Faxon build but I may go another route after this issue. I prefer a 50mm objective lens anyway.

Comment

• beastep
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2018

But they have a new strike eagle with a 50mm objective now.

Comment

• Redomen
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2016

Good news! I received my new scope from Vortex today! Man that was a fast four weeks must have told me four weeks just to try to clear some room on the refurb shelf. Ha Ha. I was not aware they have a 50mm strike eagle beastep. I was looking at the 4-18x44. That would be perfect if they had it in 50.

Comment

Working...
                              X