X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kansas
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

... I guess I'm not the first person to have thought about this.

Didn't you post that you have a $12,000 optic?

But no spare bolt ($58) ...
    Not sure about the $12,000 optic, but I hear you on getting the priorities straight !!!

==
    ... .136 or .125 bolt? ...
    Don't have a perfect way to measure it, but I'm 90% sure it is .125
    (1/8th inch)
    Last edited by kansas; 01-24-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• kansas
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

BTW, I LOVE this forum! You guys are an EXTREMELY helpful bunch!!!

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by kansas View Post

(1/8th inch)
        If you got the group buy bolt from BFT it is .136" depth.

You can measure it with the rod that sticks out of the end of a dial caliper.

If you don't have a caliper you can compare the new bolt face depth to the old one with a toothpick marking it with a knife blade.
        Last edited by bj139; 01-24-2018, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

At SHOT Show, one of the main sources for Grendel bolts said that a lot of customers who have ordered the cheap or new-entrant 6.5 Grendel barrel/bolt combos, uppers, or rifles have been coming to them for quality bolts to replace their broken bolts.

There is enough technical data on this forum for a good engineering staff experienced with AR15 critical component manufacture to ensure that they have long-lasting bolts made for the AR15.

Even Bill Alexander has chimed in multiple times as to critical dimensions, radii increases around the bolt body to support the lugs, alloy selection, bolt OAL, extractor nuances, and heat treating.

I had good conversations with some of the engineering heads of several different AR15 manufacturers who make or are getting ready to introduce 6.5 Grendel rifles.

I was very impressed with one of the new entrants to the 6.5 Grendel market and their chief engineer's knowledge about parts design, machining, and heat treating variables WRT to dimensional shift, as well as their QC program for testing bolts.

Everyone would recognize their name if I mentioned it, and they are well-known for some of the latest upgrades in AR15 lightweight receiver sets, parts, and rifles with some of the best machined receivers on the market.

One thing I will say is that 18" MLGS suppressed seems to be one of the main culprits in broken bolts, including 5.56 rifles, which was one of the reasons Crane went with RLGS for the SPR.

The 7.62 NATO M110 SASS also breaks bolts suppressed, which is something not seen before with the SR25, and why units that can choose SR25s over units that can't. M110 bolts are HPT'd, which causes microscopic fractures in the bolt, leading to early failure.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by kansas View Post
            Uh . . . yeah . . . WHOA! My bolts have a boltface depth of 0.136, not 0.125. DO NOT use a 0.136 bolt in a barrel headspaced for 0.125. Headspacing will be wrong.

Please check this carefully.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Jmccracken
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

How common is it for these things to break?

Are there better ones than others? (im sure)

Are the odin works bolts good quality?

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Unless changed in the last 9 months the Odin bolts are the standard AR size 2.80 of my sampling of one. Been meaning to reach out to them as they coupled it with a std length firing pin. Haven't had any issue with it and the primers don't seem overly indented when fired but .010 isn't much but could be enough if combined with the wrong primers or depth of primers when seated.
                Last edited by Lastrites; 01-30-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X