Clear All
  • Big Red Ram
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

First Grendel needs optics

• howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

50' FOV is wide enough to see a whole deer at ten yards. 1x would be more for shooting a zombie in your bedroom. You could split the difference with 1.5x. A Vortex Razor 1.5-8x is one to look at. 1.5x is good for swinging through a deer running by at close range.

I would argue that you don't really need 10x for 200 yards. 6x is plenty, but it's not at easy as zooming way in. You have to hold on the animal like you would with iron sights rather than trying to pick a hair like you can with high magnification.

If it were me, I'd wait until after the new stuff comes out for SHOT Show. Then look for a 1.5x or 2x - 10x or 12x with a simpler reticle with a single illuminated dot in the middle.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

I have a Redfield 1.75-5x I bought many years ago for deer hunting in the woods.

I agree that 2x is low enough. I've been considering a 2-8x or 2-10x myself. I'll be using my Grrr for Texas hogs and up-to-800yd targets.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• pajasonc
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

For hunting a 2x or even a 3x min magnification should allow plenty of field of view to quickly find your moving target. If your not shooting over 200 yards anything over 8x is wasted. 200 yards at 8x would mean the deer would look like its at 25 yards. No need for magnification at 25 yards. I was always told for target shooting(ultimate precision) that you need enough magnification to make it look like its at 25 yards, for hunting 50 and for plinking(ring gongs and the like) 75 to 100 yards. If going by those rules 200 yard targets 8x, 200 yard hunting 4x and plinking 2x for your max range.

Comment

• zcostilla
          Warrior
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Big Red Ram View Post
          Looking at the Steiner GS3 in 2-10 or Burris XTR 2-10 possibly Vortex Viper GS.
          If you are Military/LE/Veteran, you get 40% off MSRP for ALL Vortex items through Optics Planet.
          -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• lastlaugh
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

I am going thru the same decision making on my latest build. I have had:
            Leupold VX1 and VX2 3-9x40 and 2-7x33 not bad at all. Lightweight and great glass for the $
            Redfield 4-14x40 currently on the rifle. Dirt cheap and decent quality for $
            NightForce - way too heavy, but great glass
            Vortex Viper - way too heavy, and overpriced for what you get. Subpar glass quality to my eyes
            Aimpoint PRO - great red dot, not so good for hunting
            Holo Sun - great red dor, but again, not greatest at hunting
            ACOG TA11 - This is what Im putting back on the rifle.

I keep trying to tell myself I need high magnification due to the capabilities of the round. HOWEVER, years of hunting in the SouthEast US and TX has proven otherwise. To me, clarity rules above all. A very clear optic can make up for magnification in most circumstances. Almost everything I have ever killed has been early morning or late afternoon (all in low light conditions) and all under 200 yrds. Most have been under 100 yards. The ACOG has been outstanding in low light, and provides a great FOV and more than enough magnification (3.5x) for shots out to, and beyond, 200yrds. To me, its the perfect hunting optic for the Grendel.

Comment

• Big Red Ram
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2017

Zcostilla i am a firefighter does Optics Planet offer that discount to FF?

Comment

• Big Red Ram
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

Also seeing the Leupold VX R Patrol in 3-9 x40 with a lighted reticle at a decent price. Wonder if Leupold offers a FF discount??

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Big Red Ram View Post
                  Also seeing the Leupold VX R Patrol in 3-9 x40 with a lighted reticle at a decent price. Wonder if Leupold offers a FF discount??
                  No need for 1X for hunting. If the intended use doesn't include CQB, there's no need.

I have a VX-R 3-9 with TMR Firedot reticle and like it a lot. For your stated uses, I believe you'd find something in the 2-10 magnification range to work for you.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lastlaugh View Post
                    I am going thru the same decision making on my latest build. I have had:
                    Leupold VX1 and VX2 3-9x40 and 2-7x33 not bad at all. Lightweight and great glass for the $
                    Redfield 4-14x40 currently on the rifle. Dirt cheap and decent quality for $
                    NightForce - way too heavy, but great glass
                    Vortex Viper - way too heavy, and overpriced for what you get. Subpar glass quality to my eyes
                    Aimpoint PRO - great red dot, not so good for hunting
                    Holo Sun - great red dor, but again, not greatest at hunting
                    ACOG TA11 - This is what Im putting back on the rifle.

I keep trying to tell myself I need high magnification due to the capabilities of the round. HOWEVER, years of hunting in the SouthEast US and TX has proven otherwise. To me, clarity rules above all. A very clear optic can make up for magnification in most circumstances. Almost everything I have ever killed has been early morning or late afternoon (all in low light conditions) and all under 200 yrds. Most have been under 100 yards. The ACOG has been outstanding in low light, and provides a great FOV and more than enough magnification (3.5x) for shots out to, and beyond, 200yrds. To me, its the perfect hunting optic for the Grendel.

Have you seen these? It's no ACOG but, for the money, they're a great value.

Shop our catalog of Rifle Scopes. Find AK 47, AR 308, & AR 15 scopes from Primary Arms, Trijicon, Vortex & more. Available in BDC, MOA, MIL, ACSS & more.

2.5X, 3X, 5X........

The 5x I've had for a couple of years is crystal clear, it punches way above its price point in resolution, and what I plan to use with the Grendel. Simple. Compact. Tough.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Harpoon1, I am looking at the PA 5X Prism for my Grendel pistol build. I am going to use it for deer (less than 200yds) and hog hunting. Would you share your thoughts on the 5X application for hunting?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                        Harpoon1, I am looking at the PA 5X Prism for my Grendel pistol build. I am going to use it for deer (less than 200yds) and hog hunting. Would you share your thoughts on the 5X application for hunting?
                        Havent used it for hunting yet, only on the range. Want to check back in a few weeks and I'll probably be able to give you a field report. I intend to use it on a pistol build also.

Having said that, I think it'll be perfect. With 5X I can easily pound the center out of a piece of 12"x12" steel at 300, (our max range). Its stupid easy.

And 5X shouldn't be a problem finding stuff up close or on the move. At least I don't think so.

Under 200 yards, you could make a case for 2.5X-3X I suppose but, they're nearly the same size, not much difference in price either. So, I went with the 5X.
                        Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-28-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• lastlaugh
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2018

I played with one at a gun how a few times. Just wasnt impressed with the glass at all. Seemed clunky for what it was, but I admitedly didn't get to use it on a weapon or outside. Not knocking your choices, just not for me based on my limited xperience with it.

I'd love to try it out tho to give it another chance.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

No, its all good, everybody's eyes are different. I feel the same way about the ACOG'S. Love the concept, and they're built like tanks but, for $1000+, the glass just didn't do it for me. Friends have them and think they're awesome. And I believe them!

Actually I'd be fine with just a red dot out to 200 yds or so, if my eyes were younger and I didnt have an astigmatism.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

I'm partial to Steiner. I've been very happy with the scopes I have. My Grendel currently has a 3-12x50 Military Tactical as does my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been happy enough with them that I just purchased 5-25x56 to go on the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 3-12x50 that's on it gets moved to a 6mm Creedmoor.

Comment

Working...
                              X