• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by zcostilla View Post
    If you are Military/LE/Veteran, you get 40% off MSRP for ALL Vortex items through Optics Planet.
    Or get an account at GovX..... they list everything at 40% and then have sales up to 60% or 65% sometimes.
    I can buy from them cheaper than Vortex direct with shipping sometimes.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
      Or get an account at GovX..... they list everything at 40% and then have sales up to 60% or 65% sometimes.
      I can buy from them cheaper than Vortex direct with shipping sometimes.
      Have you had any personal experience with GovX?
      I'd not heard of them until your post yesterday so found their site and signed up.

They do have a great price on the Vortex SE 1-8x at $329. Site says that's 42% off. I'm tempted because they gave me a 15% off code as a new user and that makes it really cheap.
      Amazon, OP and Midway all want $399.
      Searched for reviews and there aren't many out there. Nothing very negative but I'm wondering about their service and support.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Try Experticity.com

It appears to have better selection of scopes and browsing compared to GovX

I've bought Vortex scopes and spotting scope from them. Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner, Bushnell, Aimpoint, Weaver and Trijicon scopes are on there as well.
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          Have you had any personal experience with GovX?
          I'd not heard of them until your post yesterday so found their site and signed up.

They do have a great price on the Vortex SE 1-8x at $329. Site says that's 42% off. I'm tempted because they gave me a 15% off code as a new user and that makes it really cheap.
          Amazon, OP and Midway all want $399.
          Searched for reviews and there aren't many out there. Nothing very negative but I'm wondering about their service and support.
          I have made over 3 dozen orders from them over the years..... I like them much better than ProMotive/ Eperticity for Vortex stuff.
          GovX really shines when it has sales on the Vortex stuff. Any MIL/LEO can get 40% off, but, when GovX has 50 or 60% off sales, that is when to grab em.... the others only sell at the 40% of rate.
          GovX has been cheaper shipping than the others too.....
          I have made a few Promotive/ Eperticity orders as well; bigger selection yes but, shipping can get expensive....
          Seems when I do a google search on stuff I can find it cheaper than Eperticity prices with shipping included sometimes.

If it is warranty isseu you will not deal with GovX, it will go straight to manufacturer.
          Last edited by mdewitt71; 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

...for Midwest whitetails, coyote and some bench shooting
            That rules out 5x fixed prism scopes in my mind. It's fine for whitetails, restricted to close range for coyotes (they don't normally come in close), and inadequate at best for bench.

I would do something 3-9x, 3-15x, or 2-10x from a reputable company that doesn't have cheap scopes that break on larger caliber semi autos.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

If you were just Midwest hunting I'd say 1-6 or 1-8 Is fine. My experience in Midwest hunting is most times I'm on 3-6 power on my 3-9's most shots are within 100 yards. Stand hunting you can utilize the magnication to verify a clear path to target. If I'm driving the thick stuff I'm pulling out the .44 revolver anyways.
              For load development and informal target shooting I find myself upgrading to 4-12 or 4-16's. I have old weak eyes and I find the magnification beneficial.

Comment

• Big Red Ram
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

I appreciate all the help, a lot of knowledge shared here THank You!
                Ended up finding what I think was a decent deal on a Minox 2 - 10 x50 that I am waiting anxiously to arrive.
                German glass made in the US, now I need to find a mount!

Comment

• RobertFL
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

I am putting a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10 on my 6.5 Grendel upper when it arrives. I am going to use a Nikon one piece M223 scope mount. I have the same combo on my APF 450 bushmaster upper, so far no problems.

Comment

• Big Red Ram
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2017

What about the Aero Precision ultralight mount, seems to rate decent and isn't too expensive?

Any other suggestions for a one piece mount with a 30mm tube?
                    Don't need QD since this is a hunting and bench rig.

Comment

• ToeheadAR
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

I have the Aero mount and love it. Bought it mainly for the weight. I see Primary Arms makes affordable mounts to that are $60.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Big Red Ram View Post
                        Also seeing the Leupold VX R Patrol in 3-9 x40 with a lighted reticle at a decent price. Wonder if Leupold offers a FF discount??
                        Not many do I don't usually even ask anymore now if I was LEO no problem. Just my experience.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

An hour ago UPS dropped off my new Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36mm.

I'm on a tight budget and the wallet always dictates what I can buy. I love swordfish but can only afford canned tuna. Love BMW but could only afford used Acura, etc.

This unit retails for $590 and everyone sells it for $350 and up.
                          I've been watching it for a few months as it circled around $190 at Natchez. A few days ago they had a "$20 off" code and I couldn't resist any longer so it was less than $185 shipped.
                          I got the SH/MZ EB-X reticle.
                          The price varies and today is $199. https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-...cle-matte.html

It looks great! Very bright, sharp and clear glass, the best I've ever owned. Solid construction, perfect finish and precision feel. I like the reticle; it is a variation of BDC and finer than I expected.
                          I built my Grrr for texas hogs, varmints and targets (out to 500yds) and this scope should be prefect. I couldn't be happier.
                          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 98Z
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by RobertFL View Post
                            I am putting a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10 on my 6.5 Grendel upper when it arrives. I am going to use a Nikon one piece M223 scope mount. I have the same combo on my APF 450 bushmaster upper, so far no problems.
                            If you haven't done this already, check into the M223XR,with the additional 20 MOA built into the mount. Helps on this 65G gun.

Comment

• RobertFL
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
                              If you haven't done this already, check into the M223XR,with the additional 20 MOA built into the mount. Helps on this 65G gun.
                              I got the Elite scope and M223 mount back in Feb. I was thinking about trying the XR mount on my 450 Bushmaster upper but went with the standard M223 mount. . I have only shot my 6.5 Grendel one afternoon and only 12 rounds. It shot 123gr SST
                              very well. Once the logging crew is done at my hunt club I can get back out to our gun range..then I will know more about my current set up. I plan on taking a few hogs with the 6.5G this summer
                              Last edited by RobertFL; 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X