• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golfer
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Suggestions for 20" Barrel

I have started my first Grendel build to use primarily for deer hunting. Any suggestions on a 20" barrel for less than $400 would be appreciated. I would like to stay away from the heavy barrels to keep the weight down if possible.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My idea for a 20” barrel is more of fixed position rifle where I would be shooting from a bench, blind or stand. There aren’t many 20” light profile 6.5 Grendel barrels. The best hunting profile 20” 6.5 Grendel I know of was the group buy 20” Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel. There is an upper with this barrel in the buy sell 6.5 Grendel section of the forum.

SOLD! Here's the specs and performance data as assembled; Group Buy 20" Faxon barrel and bolt with Forum logos with about 40 rounds fired ALG 15 inch black Mlok rail- new Rainier Arms Ultramatch Billet Upper Mod1- couple hundred round in another barrel configuration in good condition, perfect snug barrel fit and

I bought an 18” 6.5 Grendel group buy Faxon which really makes a sweet hunting rifle. The 18” barrel will be within 20-50 FPS of a 20” barrel depending on the load. A typical 18” 6.5 Grendel will give 2470-2500 FPS with 123 grain bullets. A 20” 6.5 Grendel will give 2500 to 2540 FPS with 123 grain bullets.

Bear Creek Arsenal has the largest variety of barrels for the 6.5 Grendel of any manufacture. J&T distributing sell a chrome moly 4140 20” barrel and a chrome lined phosphate 20” barrel but last I checked they were 1:9 twist. I prefer 1:8 or faster twist today with the current trend for longer heavier bullets.

Of the current 20” barrels on the market in 6.5 Grendel I’d probably look at the Ballistic Advantage SPR 20” or a Fluted Match 20” Faxon. JP are very respected but I think JP or Proof Research would be over your budget.

Here is a link to a Faxon fluted 20” 6.5 Grendel and this sight also sell carbon fiber barrels.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-23-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Buy this and let me know how it shoots!

Comment

• blackholegun
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2017

I will second the suggestion on the 18" Faxon gunner barrel for a hunting rifle.
        Good price, great fit and they shoot very good.
        Do not think you will be disapointed
        Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

Unwashed
          • Jun 2017

Either McGowen or X-Caliber will make just about any profile or length you want for around $300. I've been happy with barrels from both.

Comment

• koden
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

18" barrel from Alexander Arms is hard to beat for hunting

second choice would be Faxon for a budget barrel. If you want a target and hunting barrel check out Lilja. I think there a bit over the $400 price though.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

https://www.sgtofarms.com/product-pa...grendel-barrel $290 with bolt reporting average 3/4 moa.

Comment

• cb4017
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

I'm really liking my Proof Research stainless barrel. It shoots almost everything sub MOA or better and has been functioning perfectly. I used a Maxim bolt.

Cliff
                USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Faxon group buys are great. Their gunner profile is too.

depending on how far you need to shoot either 16" or 18" should work, take your pick... the 6.5 loses comparatively little MV due to good BCs as compared to "standard" calibers; I have 16" and 18" both and actually am leaning towards the 16" for my go-to. My expected range is up to 250 but I could go 300 yds (deer/predators) if I felt good about the shot.
                  18" will do it also of course.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

This is the deal to beat right now I think:

CORE Rifle Systems is a manufacturer of quality AR-15 Rifles and Pistols built in Ocala, FL. Established in 2010 as a subsidiary to Good Time Outdoors, Inc.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      This is the deal to beat right now I think:

CORE Rifle Systems is a manufacturer of quality AR-15 Rifles and Pistols built in Ocala, FL. Established in 2010 as a subsidiary to Good Time Outdoors, Inc.

Their kit lists a generic 5.56 bolt description. I assume they provide the correct 9310 alloyed and specified bolt and extractor? The description on their Hardcore rifle indicates they understand the Grendel goodness. Looks good! I also notice they have their own version of the Grendel monster logo. Cool.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

After looking over a lot of the barrel options out there, I'm interested to see how the McGowan, Odin, and Core barrels all perform.

I've shot and own so many different 6.5 Grendel barrels now from AA, BHW, Bartlein-PF, Criterion-PF, Faxon, LaRue, Liberty, Lilja, Satern, Shilen, Underground Tactical, etc., but not a lot of the newer entrants.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          After looking over a lot of the barrel options out there, I'm interested to see how the McGowan, Odin, and Core barrels all perform....
                          The first few months of my being a member here (early 2017), it seemed like there was another new Odin owner every week, making excellent range reports with it. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

^^agree. We always seem to have a new flavor of the month.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

This month goes toooo.......?!
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X