X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

My 16" Odin seems to be getting better with age and it's still a young pup, I feel it will shoot better than moa but I've been a tad off of late. It still is hovering right around moa really being limited by myself and the scope that is riding on top and possible being harnessed by shooting only hornady factory offerings of which I wish they didn't discontinue their Amax line as that was showing great promise consistently.

I'd tread wearily with the Core offering as I seem to recall a host of issues within the past year with their 5.56 line up as I was viewing arf.

Comment

• jonny rotton
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

i picked up a mcgowan 20" barrel today. its a heavy looking one. when i get out to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
        i picked up a mcgowan 20" barrel today. its a heavy looking one. when i get out to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots.
        Will you follow an accuracy build checklist so we can eliminate other variables like barrel-to-receiver fit, upper face out of square, scope base and ring balanced torque, higher-end trigger, rear bag, front rest, quality ammo, etc.?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Will you follow an accuracy build checklist so we can eliminate other variables like barrel-to-receiver fit, upper face out of square, scope base and ring balanced torque, higher-end trigger, rear bag, front rest, quality ammo, etc.?
          i will do what i know how to do. i have built more than a few and i have not had a accuracy problem yet. i am a skilled shooter that can shoot very tight groups. i have never seem a checklist but would follow one if i had one. i want this to shoot lights out. the barrel weighs in at 2 15.8. its not light.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Upper receiver face needs to be square.

Barrel should fit very tightly in the upper, preferably bedded with one of several methods.

Gas block needs to be very tight on the journal or bedded, with the port aligned correctly.

Gas tube should not clip the key.

Use an inch-pound torque wrench with recommended torque specs on base and rings when installing the optic.

Grendel can be harder to shoot than .223 in the same weight gun due to the projectile mass and more recoil.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

ok will do the best i can. i did learn to shoot with a .308. i shot high power in a southern calif winter league for about four years in the 80's. i continue to learn newer or better techniques in shooting. i have taken multiply classes in the last few years and i privately teach fundamentals to numerous people. i am just saying that i am a experienced shooter but fairly new to building. this new barrel is supposed to put them in an extremely tight group. i am looking forward to shooting it asap. i need a few parts and some warmer weather. we are expecting sub zero temperatures. just discovered that my buddy has a way to check/square the uppers. i will do that for sure.
              Last edited by jonny rotton; 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM. Reason: added, i can get it square

Comment

• brian y
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

This is my 20" Odin Works build. I will post a full review a little later but have to say i am happy with it.
                Attached Files
                NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

'52, great list by the way...
                  Could you maybe post it up so all the new grendel builders have a reference list - they all will have the same questions...!!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
                    I saw they had a couple in stock yesterday. Did you buy 2 barrels and get 25% off?

My Odin 22 Nosler barrel was a laser beam (I guess it still is since its sitting in a tube in my closet). Unfortunately, this load literally bent the rims of super craptastic Nosler brass:

image.jpeg

The key to shooting this group was to have the backstop in the shade while using a 2.5-10x, thereby rendering StoneHendge the inability to see how he was grouping
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• jonny rotton
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2015

i bought the barrel from a friend that had bought a bunch of barrels. so my price was good.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by stonehendge View Post
                        ...the key to shooting this group was to have the backstop in the shade while using a 2.5-10x, thereby rendering stonehendge the inability to see how he was grouping
                        ​rotflmao
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• golfer
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2018

Anyone have any experience with the complete uppers made by GrendelHunter? Leaning towards the 18" fluted option. Should be a good shoot with the Satern barrel.

Comment

• Bevo
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Comment

• Drillboss
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by golfer View Post
                              Anyone have any experience with the complete uppers made by GrendelHunter? Leaning towards the 18" fluted option. Should be a good shoot with the Satern barrel.
                              Just be sure you're aware, the barrels are Liberty button rifled with Grendel II chambers, rather than Saturn, cut rifled SAAMI chambers. I'm not making a judgement on the difference, you can find those opinions on other threads.

Seems like I've seen a few threads here on the Grendelhunter uppers.

Comment

• ToeheadAR
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2018

I almost pulled the trigger on the 18" fluted Grendel Hunter upper but ended up with a 18" Faxon Group Buy barrel. I've seen nothing but good reviews from people that bought their uppers. However, I've never shot any type of Grendel so I can't really say anything about SAAMI vs Grendel II. FYI I didn't see adjustable gas blocks as an option to their upper on the Grendel Hunter site so I emailed them. They responded almost immediately to confirm adjustable gas blocks are included at no extra cost. Maybe email them to make sure before you order if you go that route.

Comment

Working...
                                X