• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edog537
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Question about Boyds stock for Howa Mini

Hi Gang,
    I just picked up my Howa Mini and the stock is clunky. It has the grace of a 2x4. Can anyone tell me which Boyd's stock has the best handling characteristics? My Mini is 20" LW model. I bought it specifically for Whitetail, Hog, and varmit hunting. I hunt from tree stands, ground blinds, and still hunting.
  • pinetreebbs
    Warrior
    • Nov 2013

I've got my Howa action mounted in the AT-ONE and it works quite well. The adjustability is great, but it does add a little weight if you have to carry the rifle very far.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

If you go with Boyds (which I do like very much) you will have to do some inletting for the barrel, bolt, and bedding. The angle of the wood for the bottom plate is opposite of what it needs to be as well and that will take quite a bit of work to correct.

I have done 2 AT-one stocks. Did them for my GF and her Eldest Daughter. LOP is too short for me, unless I were to buy the extended butt pad. With a Vortex PST 6-24, Badger steel rings, Atlas knockoff bipod, and sling, the weight came in at 12# unloaded.

The Varmit stock is nice from what I have heard, but you don't have all the adjustability of the AT-One. Howa was supposed to release their HCR stock (aluminum) and there is also the MDT LSS.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Shop hardwood gunstocks for any make, model, and action with the Boyds Gunstock Configurator. Choose from several wood and finish options.

I think with the LW barrel and your intended use, the platinum would be best. Very slim and sleek lines like a traditional model 70 stock. This stock has a traditional cheek piece, not raised like a weatherby. Take a look and let us know what u think.
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Doc78
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

Get an LSS and be done with it. Skip the Boyd's stock.

Comment

• Tombstone
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

I have one of the platinum that should deliver this week. I will try and post some pics when I get it fitted.

Comment

• Edog537
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2018

So the Boyds is not a drop in? I can do some sanding and minor hand fitting. If it will require going at it with a dremel I may pass.

Comment

• Tombstone
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

they should be drop in but I will bed it when I install. Personal preference.

Comment

• Edog537
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2018

Looking forward to your report.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Edog537 View Post
                    So the Boyds is not a drop in? I can do some sanding and minor hand fitting. If it will require going at it with a dremel I may pass.
                    It will drop in but there was very minor sanding/dremel use. It seems like on every ones stock the rubbing was in the same places. I like the at-1 but would like to try the chassis. Boyds should at least pillar bed them before they send stock out even if it increases the cost.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Tombstone View Post
                      I have one of the platinum that should deliver this week. I will try and post some pics when I get it fitted.
                      They are a drop in. If you want a totally free floated barrel you will more than likely need to do some scraping/sanding of the barrel channel.

The milling for the bottom plate may milled at the wrong angle, and the bolt may contact the stock on the forward side of the slot when you close it, at least on the two AT-One stocks that I had.

There are three different tools like this; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...agon-1-x-11-16 I used the green one shown mostly.

Myself and another member covered some of this in this thread; http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15570-Fitting-Howa-Mini-1500-barreled-actions-into-after-market-stocks

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Exactly the same areas as Sticks said on my AT-1. Still, for the minimal amount of work you have to do, it's a great price for what you get. Still wish the would pillar bed them from the factory though.

Comment

• ricsmall
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I’ve had several McMillan and manners stocks that need minor inletting around bolt handle area and barrel channel. The only ones that haven’t were shipped to them for inletting. This is completely normal.

Richard
                          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• just_john
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2012

ED537, put an AT-1 on my Howa mini. I did not have the fitting issues that others have had, it dropped right in and fit. My main issue with the AT-1 is in the wrist area ( the smaller area behind the trigger ). The way they cut it, basically a square cross section, leaves a bit of a ridge right under a thumb joint. These 70+ yr old hands have a bit of arthritis in that joint and that makes for a painful shooting session. Some time with a grinder fixes that. Otherwise, as so many have previously stated, only other issue is the plastic lower plate ( cheesy!! )

Comment

Working...
                            X