Is it worth upgrading to a longer barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmccracken
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Is it worth upgrading to a longer barrel?

I currently have a 18" stainless odin works barrel/bcg/adjustable gas block.

Im really wanting a 24" but would be happy with a 20" just for looks.

The only 24" ive found is a bear creek, not sure how its quality would stack up against my odin works.

is it worth it on velocity to upgrade?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

IIRC the average is 20 fps per inch for velocity gains/losses at 18" and above. More loss the shorter you go. Barrel MFG will have a part to play in the velocity.

An example that I am trying to sort out. I have a 18" Barlitien barrel done up by Precision Firearms that shoots average velocity for factory ammo (2475 @70* Hornady 123 ELD). My recent acquisition has a 24" Lilja Heavy Bull (known as a top quality barrel, and typically fast) shooting the same ammo...at the same speed. On paper it should be running near 2600, yet it's not. I am hoping against hope that it is a break in issue and will speed up over time.

What is your budget?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Jmccracken
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
      IIRC the average is 20 fps per inch for velocity gains/losses at 18" and above. More loss the shorter you go. Barrel MFG will have a part to play in the velocity.

An example that I am trying to sort out. I have a 18" Barlitien barrel done up by Precision Firearms that shoots average velocity for factory ammo (2475 @70* Hornady 123 ELD). My recent acquisition has a 24" Lilja Heavy Bull (known as a top quality barrel, and typically fast) shooting the same ammo...at the same speed. On paper it should be running near 2600, yet it's not. I am hoping against hope that it is a break in issue and will speed up over time.

What is your budget?
      I would like to stay around or under $300 if possible. Doesn't seem like I'll benefit much from upgrading. My Odin barrel is very nice, but I like the looks of a longer barrel.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Get another Odin, or Faxon barrel at 20" if it is solely for looks.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

If you have access to longer ranges in NC for target shooting, then you will benefit from a longer barrel since the air is thick there.

AA and PF 123gr Scenar ammunition will generally run faster than the Hornady in my experience.

Since I am at such high altitude, I really don't need long barrels for most of what I do.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X