• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Brass bouncer

Attached Files
    Last edited by Crusty; 01-24-2018, 11:24 PM.
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Great idea. I’ve toyed with this idea for the past 3-4 yrs but u know how that back burner piles up!! Keep us posted on how it works. You could probably sell those like hotcakes!!
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

... and then spend the money on hotcakes. Seems like some sort of delicious circle to me.

I haven't played with Kydex before and I have to say that I'm surprised what a useful material it is. When it's hot it's easy to form and when it cools it gets surprisingly strong, and you can also just heat up areas you aren't happy with using a heat gun and form them the way you want then. Next on my list is a custom cheek riser now that I've got a side charger and there's no grab handle in the way, but I could go with thick leather glued on for that too and that might be the best option.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

That is a great idea.

I have the velcro attached brass catcher from Caldwell and it mostly works OK although brass sometimes escapes.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Very well done
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Tcrocker
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

I'm in the market for a brass catcher myself tired of hunting my brass as well never seem to leave the range with as much as I came with unless I'm policing up other peoples brass win win on that one

Comment

• Clarence
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

I'm using the Caldwell model that attaches to the Pic rail. Works well off the bench or prone, but not particularly heavy duty.

I suspect you could take the Kydex idea further and attach a catch bag to it if you wanted.

Clarence

Comment

• Crusty
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

I've considered that and I may make one after it's on the rifle it's going on and finally fitted, but if I do the "bag" will be made of hardware cloth so that it doesn't melt like the nylon bags, and I may find that I prefer my cases just falling into a cardboard box and then I won't have the "bag" in my way. I looked at the Caldwell model you mentioned and I would have bought one if the bag was more durable.

We've got fire ants here so I try to keep my prone shooting to a minimum.
                I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I'd be looking at a way to make the deflector hinged so you can have rapid access to the chamber in case of malfunction.

I use the Picatinny attachment as well, but I only shoot 5-6 rounds at a time. I've just been leaving the zipper open on the bag.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Crusty
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Post some pictures so we can see how you implemented that into your version.
                    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• 6.5Dan
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                      That is a great idea.

I have the velcro attached brass catcher from Caldwell and it mostly works OK although brass sometimes escapes.
                      BJ I have the same brass catcher and it has worked very well for me. I like that I can pretty much put it anywhere so I catch the brass before it gets beat up against the side of the rifle. I will say that I've never used it off of a bench though.

Comment

• kcb38
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2017

That's really slick! I was shocked at the price of some brass catchers and saw some pretty bad reviews of the cheaper ones. I wasn't looking for another project but this one looks like it's definitely worth the time and investment.
                        - Kirk -

Comment

• Crusty
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Last edited by Crusty; 01-31-2018, 12:12 AM.
                          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

The nice thing about Kydex, is you can constantly modify it, shape it, tweak it, flatten it out make a template and form it back again.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Crusty
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Agree Sticks. I'd never worked with Kydex before this project and I like it a lot. When hot it's easy to form as long as you're not trying to form compound curves (think sheet goods) and if it doesn't look right you can spot heat the problem areas and reform them to your satisfaction. What surprised me the most was how rigid it becomes when it cools down.
                              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                              X