• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt @ LSI
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Shot show 2018- howa mini answers

all,

id go through and answer all the questions to all of the posts but im a bit pressed for time. the month of january is rough for industry people so please bare with us.

customer service- yeas 90+% of us were at shot show. we had people manning the phones so weve been hard at work making sure we get back to everyone. social media questions as well
    -howa mini changes---
    -threaded muzzles for heavy barrels, new calibers announced soon
    -standard floor plate is still not availble, that has been pushed back a bit on the timeline due to other projects.
    - a magazine extension for current mags will be available in the next few months, more info on that when i have it
    - new magazine system- this has been initiated and there seems to be a major need in the bolt gun market for a standardized magazine that will accommodate the .223rem length cartridges, so no more adapted mags, it will be its own box design specifically for those cartridges.
    -chassis sytems- we released our mini action chassis rifle and will have the complete chassis systems for sale up on our website. along with all of the other howa stocks we can.

if there is any questions about this year id really appreciated if you can ask them in this thread.

thanks all!
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Matt,
    When that AR-based mag system comes out will there also be a conversion method for existing howa's? Being able to be a drop-in to the existing mag-well slot is a definite plus, since no stock changes would be needed.

The observation that Ruger has come out with this (AR-mag system) should certainly be noteworthy to LSI.

And this LSI system will allow the more square-like AR mags, such as CProd/ ASC etc, not just the rounded (and COAL-limiting) Magpul style, right? We don't want the bolt-action to lose all of its extended case capability...... I have some Nosler AB's at 2.300 and they shoot great. (Ok maybe a little might get lost, 2.295 +/- but don't restrict it to 2.260).
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

This will NOT be an AR based magazine. The receiver will not allow the width of an AR mag. I will not release the details until I have something concrete In hand

Comment

• jason miller
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Any idea what kind of COAL it might allow? Similar to current mags? More? Less?

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

Matt, In another thread...

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
          ALL of the Howa .223's will be moving to a 1-8" twist, also a pet peeve of mine and i have since addressed this. please be patient, unfortunately updating these things takes a bit of time due to production lead times...
          Can you confirm that this will take effect some time through 2018?

I'm looking at doing a project for an Australian forum about a budget PRS type rifle and a Howa Mini in 223 with 1:8 twist is suddenly competitive. Even more so if you did the natural thing and knocked 10mm off the barrel and rechambered it as a 22 PPC (or a 22 on the Grendel case for BR like capacity and 22/250 like velocity).

I look forward to the new cartridges - you have me interested. Have I mentioned the local chap who is going gangbusters rebarreling Howa Mini actions into the BR based cartridges? Hint

Doing the standard BDL style bottom metal (even if out of plastic) will be a big winner for the acceptance of these rifles as hunting rifles. I look forward to hearing more about that.

Oh, and whilst you are putting a 1:8 on the 223, offer it as an option on the 22/250. LR bunnies with a 22/250 launching 75gn match bullets is really good fun.
          Last edited by adamjp; 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jason miller View Post
            Any idea what kind of COAL it might allow? Similar to current mags? More? Less?
            ill release details when i have something concrete in hand

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
              Matt, In another thread...

Can you confirm that this will take effect some time through 2018?

I'm looking at doing a project for an Australian forum about a budget PRS type rifle and a Howa Mini in 223 with 1:8 twist is suddenly competitive. Even more so if you did the natural thing and knocked 10mm off the barrel and rechambered it as a 22 PPC (or a 22 on the Grendel case for BR like capacity and 22/250 like velocity).

I look forward to the new cartridges - you have me interested. Have I mentioned the local chap who is going gangbusters rebarreling Howa Mini actions into the BR based cartridges? Hint

Doing the standard BDL style bottom metal (even if out of plastic) will be a big winner for the acceptance of these rifles as hunting rifles. I look forward to hearing more about that.

Oh, and whilst you are putting a 1:8 on the 223, offer it as an option on the 22/250. LR bunnies with a 22/250 launching 75gn match bullets is really good fun.
              yes, the .223 will be switching to a 1-8". Aus should have them around mid year.
              we do not have the capability to do custom things. anything we do have to be sold in large volume.
              BR cartridges are also very hard to come by so volume is very difficult with those.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Matt, not seeing the barreled actions on the website anymore.

Also saw mention of different contour barrels on the chassis rifles but the specs that are shown show everything as a #6 contour.

Digging the chassis rifles but some of us hunter only types, specifically coyote callers have given up on varmint contour barrels completely in order to have the most mobility possible for swinging onto nearby surprises...read one hand with other on shooting sticks or what have you. So i would like to see some of the 22" #2 contour offered in your chassis for the pure hunters?

Your chassis looks good especially the narrowing at the trigger over say my first mdt lss i'm playing with which could see some grinder work. My only beef with it so far. Having the ability to throw a 20" #1 contour grendel in the mdt lss will make a great calling rig but will also fit whoever i put behind it...so they too can easily re-position on the moving targets but not with 10 lb naked rigs, goal should be 6.5 lbs before optics and bipods etc.(my mdt lss grendel should finish just a few ounce over 7 lb with magpul ctr, talley rings and a 10-13oz leupold) I'll buy barreled action and go mdt lss no problem but maybe not if you offer those light contour barrels in your chassis and the chassis itself isn't too heavy. I realize i'm probably not your normal market however. Fingers crossed.

The next surge in firearms will be hunter focused chassis rigs, get the weight down, barrels and chassis, varmint contours don't give us the versatility we require, do this and the hunters will come i'm sure! You heard it here first.
                Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-02-2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I don't see why you can't put a pencil action in an HCR or LSS chassis. Only difference is the barrel diameter, and that is free floated in both cases.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• flyrod
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
                    yes, the .223 will be switching to a 1-8".
                    Thanks for posting here Matt! Does LSI sell howa parts? I'd be interested in buying a few of the 8 twist 223 barrels.

Also, I noticed that the kiwis get them in stainless. Any chance of that in the usa?

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                      I don't see why you can't put a pencil action in an HCR or LSS chassis. Only difference is the barrel diameter, and that is free floated in both cases.
                      Ya i'm doing that now with a grendel #1 action in an lss. I think i'd like a 22" #2 in the hcr in grendel also. I was having a tough time finding in the 2018 online specs a page that showed any options other than #6 contour in an hcr as why not have it all come from the same place?

I found a specs page from the australian chassis page that seemed to show more options and the barreled actions with specs that i couldn't find after they got rid of the 2017 specs. If you click on barreled actions you will not get to the correct page! LSI will need to fix i guess?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                        Matt, not seeing the barreled actions on the website anymore.

Also saw mention of different contour barrels on the chassis rifles but the specs that are shown show everything as a #6 contour.

Digging the chassis rifles but some of us hunter only types, specifically coyote callers have given up on varmint contour barrels completely in order to have the most mobility possible for swinging onto nearby surprises...read one hand with other on shooting sticks or what have you. So i would like to see some of the 22" #2 contour offered in your chassis for the pure hunters?

Your chassis looks good especially the narrowing at the trigger over say my first mdt lss i'm playing with which could see some grinder work. My only beef with it so far. Having the ability to throw a 20" #1 contour grendel in the mdt lss will make a great calling rig but will also fit whoever i put behind it...so they too can easily re-position on the moving targets but not with 10 lb naked rigs, goal should be 6.5 lbs before optics and bipods etc.(my mdt lss grendel should finish just a few ounce over 7 lb with magpul ctr, talley rings and a 10-13oz leupold) I'll buy barreled action and go mdt lss no problem but maybe not if you offer those light contour barrels in your chassis and the chassis itself isn't too heavy. I realize i'm probably not your normal market however. Fingers crossed.

The next surge in firearms will be hunter focused chassis rigs, get the weight down, barrels and chassis, varmint contours don't give us the versatility we require, do this and the hunters will come i'm sure! You heard it here first.
                        Brownell's has the exclusive on barreled actions, you will have to order BA's from them.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by flyrod View Post
                          Thanks for posting here Matt! Does LSI sell howa parts? I'd be interested in buying a few of the 8 twist 223 barrels.

Also, I noticed that the kiwis get them in stainless. Any chance of that in the usa?

http://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item/...i-action-rifle
                          No, due to low demand we will not be carrying all stainless BA's.
                          you will be able to order the other BA's from Brownells exclusively

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                            Ya i'm doing that now with a grendel #1 action in an lss. I think i'd like a 22" #2 in the hcr in grendel also. I was having a tough time finding in the 2018 online specs a page that showed any options other than #6 contour in an hcr as why not have it all come from the same place?

I found a specs page from the australian chassis page that seemed to show more options and the barreled actions with specs that i couldn't find after they got rid of the 2017 specs. If you click on barreled actions you will not get to the correct page! LSI will need to fix i guess?
                            The reason we dont offer the light weight barrel in the chassis is purely SKU management. the demand is just not there yet for this type of setup as it still weighs quite a bit more compared to a traditional hunting rig.

Comment

• POKERFACE
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2017

Matt, Any word on new calibers or when they will be announced?

Comment

Working...
                              X