• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

2018 SHOT Show Review

Joe and I hit SHOT Show last week. I'm usually there every year unless I'm outside the States for some reason.

I'll relate some of the observations I made over 4 days of beating the floors, talking with vendors, and following up with contacts.

There is a lot of good news for 6.5 Grendel and the future.

I saw so many new and established AR15 companies making Grendels, it was hard to keep track of them.

We had a good talk with AA, LaRue Tactical, CORE15, Odin Works, CMMG, 2A Armament, Precision Firearms, Iosso products, Precision Armament, Grafs and Sons, Ruger, Ascend Armory, Frank at Maxim Firearms, Lehigh Defense, CProducts, and a bunch of others.

Lots of new things are in the works for 6.5 Grendel.

There were some new and interesting 6.5 Grendel AR15s from companies I've never seen before. They were in areas where pictures are not allowed, and no literature was available since they were behind glass cases in many instances.

We're just following up with the companies we need to, helping get some Grendel-specific products to you in the near future.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • bakabone25
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

I'm hoping i speak for many here in saying that we appreciate all you do for the horde. Looking forward to hearing all the goodies coming.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

This guy has some good review videos of SHOT.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

One of the biggest hits at SHOT Show was Brownell's retro line.

I've been tracking Brownell's involvement in retro parts for a while now, being a big retro guy myself, but they had some very surprising products to reveal at SHOT that caught many of us off guard. Watch to the end.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Nifty stuff! Thanks for the review.
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

At 0:02 in the first video I saw the LV hotel which reminded me of another LV hotel from a few months ago. Maybe the same hotel. Psyop?

Would this show even be possible across the border in California?

The retro ARs are really cool. Brownells should make a lot of money from that.

When are they going to make the HK in a Grendel? That has so many neat features.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

ThunderBeast Arms Corp Take-Down Integrally-Suppressed AR15 upper.

Integrally suppressed CZ Scorpion:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CoGT3
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Joe and I hit SHOT Show last week.

I saw so many new and established AR15 companies making Grendels, it was hard to keep track of them.

We had a good talk with AA, [URL="https://www.larue.com"]LaRue Tactical[URL]

We're just following up with the companies we need to, helping get some Grendel-specific products to you in the near future.
                    Since you mentioned Larue I have to ask, did you get a chance to play around the SURG?

I jumped on the preorder for this, and largely due to your posts here and on ARFCOM ordered it in 6.5G. Will be a new caliber for me and all goes well will likely add one of their UU kits with the 18" 6.5 G.

Thanks ahead for any thoughts.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Yes, I played around with the SUURG. It was very well-balanced and has the unique feature with the heat shield cage over the can, so you don't get burnt after high volume shooting. LaRue made a a flow-through suppressor to reduce back-pressure on the system, which was one of the main requirements from the SURG contract solicitation. SURG is on at least SURG 2.0 after SOCOM realized their RFP and requirements were ill-worded or conceived. Every respondent said SURG asked for zero IR signature after multiple mag dumps, for example.......lol!

Here's a great video that covers some interesting things like complete rifles in 6.5 Grendel from Faxon. Can't believe I didn't make it by Faxon's booth.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-05-2018, 03:46 AM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CoGT3
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Yes, I played around with the SUURG. It was very well-balanced and has the unique feature with the heat shield cage over the can, so you don't get burnt after high volume shooting. LaRue made a a flow-through suppressor to reduce back-pressure on the system, which was one of the main requirements from the SURG contract solicitation. SURG is on at least SURG 2.0 after SOCOM realized their RFP and requirements were ill-worded or conceived. Every respondent said SURG asked for zero IR signature after multiple mag dumps, for example.......lol!
                        Delayed thanks for your insight into the SURG! I have 2 complete Larue rifles and have been following this project closely. 7 years ago I played around with 300 BO using a AAC factory upper, was very frustrating to say the least. Hard to get reliable function given the variability even in supersonic ammo much less mixing in suppressors. When I bought rifle cans prior to the Gun Trust law change, I bought Surefire RC2's knowing Larue had developed their switchable gas setting around those cans. The idea of having a complete upper system designed around the suppressor, with in this case a low back pressure design, was very reassuring. When I first heard of the SURG I really thought I might give 300 BO a try again knowing this low back pressure system should be able to deal with switching between super/sub ammo. It was then that I came across your post on ARFCOM and here about the awesome utility of 6.5G in a SBR. Lets be realistic, 300 BO subsonics, even with the new Hornady sub round that will actually open at subsonic speeds is still nothing more than 45 ACP from a rifle with pseudo Hollywood "quietness". As you have eloquently pointed out, 6.5G in a SBR is as effective as 300 BO supers at closer ranges but can still reach out and touch someone out to significant distance for a SBR. Needless to say, will be a long 3 month wait to play.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

From what I saw at SHOT, my perspective is that several main developments or trends that manifest this year will fuel the AR15 economy in the short term.

If you watch the end of the Surefire video, you'll see that they introduced a long-stroke BCG/buffer/recoil spring system that reduces the cyclic rate of the AR and will work nicely with suppressed AR15s. The bolt telescoping length is at least twice what a regular AR is, so the bolt stays locked much longer than with the current cam path.

Integral suppression is a growing wave among many manufacturers, especially those who submitted their contenders for the SURG contract for SOCOM, which then opened all kinds of doors SOCOM didn't realize existed when looking at different aspects each vendor contributed. LMT had some very unique technology, LaRue had the anti-burn cage and good balance, Thunderbeast has a great system that is user-cleanable and well-balanced, etc.

Many more manufacturers are making 6.5 Grendel AR15s and we saw the third major manufacturer, Ruger, introduce an AR15 magazine-fed 6.5 Grendel bolt rifle.

Everyone and their brother is making some type of billet AR15 covered in different Cerakote finishes, with lightweight, streamlined free float handguards, top-end triggers, ergonomic charge handles, muzzle brakes, different ergonomic features on the lowers, side chargers, etc.

Pistol Caliber Carbines

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Some more pistol caliber carbines:

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-01-2018, 02:03 AM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X