Clear All
  • Chornet44
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Need to choose short barrel

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I’d look at this group buy barrel. I think it is the best buy and the reviews I’ve seen they are gtg.

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Trust Vascar2, that's a good one...

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

I would have jumped on that one if I hadn't just put money down on the next group buy that is going on.

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ClutchAutomatic View Post
          I would have jumped on that one if I hadn't just put money down on the next group buy that is going on.
          Pick your poison. I suspect BFT would probably let you back out and give you a refund on the group buy barrel. Might save you a few weeks. I know a little about Les and he's a straight up guy.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

The 5R rifling is not the best for shooting bimetal bullets because the rifling doen’t engrave/grip the bullet the same as traditional land and groove rifling. Primary Arms has a 16” BCA 416R barrel 1:8 twist on sale, for the price you could send the barrel to ADCO to have it cut.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Out of curiosity Vascar, why would 5r not be as much, if not even more so - effective on the bi-metal projos? Wouldn't the addition of another land be a net increase on the gripping strength of the rifling? I've been reading this opinion a lot lately and am wondering if there are any real reasons for this or if it is more of a guess? I have had three 5r barrels, and they have all been respectable 2 MOA or better performers with wolf steel at 100 yards.

Just wondering what the rationale is behind this.

Thanks,
              KS
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Let me post a quote from Bill Alexander where there was a discussion on the then new Wolf steel cased bimetal bullets.

“03-20-2016, 05:49 PM
                The ammunition is designed to function in a 7 1/2" twist barrel of 16" length but will work well down to 10.5" barrels.”

“On accuracy the bullet jacket is bimetal construction. It is intended to work in conventional type rifling. Canted transition rifling typified by 5R types do not engrave aggressively enough and despite generally being match barrels will not shoot this ammunition as well.”

My only experience firing the wolf has been in Brownell’s 18” 5R 6.5 Grendel and my 16” Faxon Group buy barrel. Comparing accuracy to my 16” 1:9 twist Shaw CMV barrel, 20” Shilen 1:9 twist 416R and 24” AA 1:9 twist CMV. The Wolf shot better in the traditional land and groove barrels. The 5R barrels seemed to produce more fliers but I think the longer 5R barrels might stabilize the bimetal bullets better than the shorter 5R barrels.

The 5R rifling with bimetal bullets mimicks the behavior of shooting rimfire 22 LR ammo in 223/5.56 barrels IMHO. I just don’t think the polygonal or 5R grip the bimetal bullet as effectively as traditional rifling. I’m sure there are some 5R barrels which will prove more accurate with bimetal bullets which is probably due to tighter bore or tolerances. My opinion again but accuracy with steel cased bimetal bullets might be luck of the draw, you might get a good shooter, you might get a poor shooter with 5R.

If I knew I was going to shoot mostly bimetal bullets I would not buy a 5R or polygonal barrel or barrel with .295 neck.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-30-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Chornet44
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2017

Comment

• dl126
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

Comment

Working...
                    X