• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    LRR,
    Is that a dissipator with a 20" barrel cut down to 16"?
    Where is a good place to get the triangular handguards?
    It's a clone of the first limited production Colt carbine ever made, the Colt 605A. The originals had a 15" barrel with RLGS that didn't have enough dwell time in cold weather.

It was part of the Colt CAR-15 family of weapons designated as an Infantry Leader's carbine.

Service Rifle, Infantry Leader Carbine, USAF Survival Carbine, Commando, LMG
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blazerb
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

We were issued the service rifle in the TACP in the early 80s. Everyone wished for a GAU-5.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I preferred the original triangle A1 handguard to the A2 ribbed circular. The Lone Star was superior in feel to the A2 ribbed circular since it still had a bit of a forward taper and didn't feel like I was holding onto an irrigation pipe.

I still like the feel of the Midwest industries free float slim handguards as well as the SLR line. My favorite today is the free float Faxon Arms carbon fiber. Fingers will not freeze to it in winter and stays very cool in summer during high volume shooting. It is very solid when mounted and easy to remove if needed. The octagon shape feels good in my hand and is much stronger than aluminum. The only down side is the astronomical price. For realistic use, price and need, the Magpul moe is hard to beat. Not an attention getter, but they get the job done very well.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

When shooting with barricade support don't flat bottom and flat side handguards have an advantage?

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Still thinking about a different type of build. It will be fairly unique if I ever do it. Does anyone know if there is a wood free float tube out there?

LR - what is the wood furniture in your first post. On that pistol

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              When shooting with barricade support don't flat bottom and flat side handguards have an advantage?
              Depends on how you hold with your support hand, but more symmetrical handguard shapes help with side barricade.

PRS uses barricade stops on the handguards for this.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                Still thinking about a different type of build. It will be fairly unique if I ever do it. Does anyone know if there is a wood free float tube out there?

LR - what is the wood furniture in your first post. On that pistol

You can put wood triangle hanguards over a DCM free float tube with mods, but it will be heavy.

The little carbine is from Battle Arms Development. They sell the wood panel accessories for their handguards.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Djgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2016

Give me a round or octagonal free float with a continuous top rail and capability to attach smaller sections when and where I want them. I despise quad rails. I like the triangular handguard for retro rifles. Just feels good.
                  Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

UPDATE:
                    Breaking the handguard down into its different components and intended use, I'd like to hear people's feedback on the various design points.

I. Handguard attachment method to the upper receiver
                    • Standard Mil Spec barrel nut and handguard cap attachment, non free-floated, nut requires armorer's wrench with teeth
                    • Threaded free-float nut with holes for gas tube with external threads for featureless straight tube
                    • Handguard clamps to upper receiver 1913 rail, free float
                    • Cylinder free float nut with flats for common wrenches, handguard clamps to nut
                    • Cylinder free float nut with wrench flats, handguard screws to nut with set screws
                    • Non Mil Spec upper with independent handguard attachment with set screws, with wrench flat barrel nut underneath that doesn't contact
                    • Non Mil Spec upper with independent barrel nut and pipe fitting style screw attachment of face to face
                    • Monolithic welded handguard to upper
                    • Monolithic billet

II. Handguard shape and human interface
                    • Conical bakelite prototypes
                    • Triangular 2-piece with handguard cap
                    • Ribbed A2
                    • Ribbed carbine
                    • Cylinder aluminum tube
                    • Ribbed dual heat shield M4
                    • KAC RIS/RAS 4x1913 rails
                    • SIR
                    • 1913 12 o'clock, streamlined tube with vent holes
                    • 1913 12 o'clock, streamlined, with 3,6,9 shortchanged rail sections up front
                    • 1913 12 o'clock, octagonal cross section

III. Handguard adaptability to sling attachment, aiming and illumination device interface
                    • Sling attachment via QD sockets, how many QD socket options
                    • White Light attachment and activation options (pressure switch vs tailcap)
                    • IR Laser Aiming Module and activation with or without White Light/IR filtered white light
                    • Bipod attachment ease of mounting, stud vs 1913 clamp-on, swivel post

IV. Handguard resistance to deviation from alignment with the barrel

V. Handguard Material
                    • Wood
                    • Bakelite
                    • Glass nylon with aluminum heat shields
                    • 6061 Tubular aluminum
                    • 6061 aluminum extrusions
                    • Al/Mg alloy
                    • Al/Li alloy
                    • Billet 7075T6
                    • Billet 6061
                    • Carbon fiber

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      UPDATE:
                      Breaking the handguard down into its different components and intended use, I'd like to hear people's feedback on the various design points.

• Standard Mil Spec barrel nut and handguard cap attachment, non free-floated, nut requires armorer's wrench with teeth
                      • Threaded free-float nut with holes for gas tube with external threads for featureless straight tube
                      • Cylinder free float nut with flats for common wrenches, handguard clamps to nut
                      • Cylinder free float nut with wrench flats, handguard screws to nut with set screws
                      • Non Mil Spec upper with independent handguard attachment with set screws, with wrench flat barrel nut underneath that doesn't contact
                      • Non Mil Spec upper with independent barrel nut and pipe fitting style screw attachment of face to face
                      • Monolithic billet

• Ribbed A2
                      • Ribbed carbine
                      • Cylinder aluminum tube
                      • SIR
                      • 1913 12 o'clock, octagonal cross section

III. Handguard adaptability to sling attachment, aiming and illumination device interface
                      • Sling attachment via QD sockets, how many QD socket options
                      • IR Laser Aiming Module and activation with or without White Light/IR filtered white light

V. Handguard Material
                      • Wood
                      • Bakelite
                      • 6061 Tubular aluminum
                      • Al/Mg alloy
                      • Al/Li alloy
                      • Billet 7075T6
                      • Billet 6061
                      • Carbon fiber
                      Sniff sniff sniff, I smell something cooking in the lab.

LRRPF52, What you working on now?

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

I: Cylinder free float nut with wrench flats, handguard screws to nut with set screws

II: Cylinder aluminum tube
                        1913 12 o'clock, streamlined tube with vent holes

III: Sling attachment via QD sockets, how many QD socket options - 1 each side
                        Bipod attachment ease of mounting, stud vs 1913 clamp-on, swivel post

V: Carbon fiber
                        Any of the others.

Comment

• SDW
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          For feel, I really like the Magpul MOE hand guard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10949[/ATTACH]

While not a free float affair, they are very comfortable, transfer little heat and are affordable. I think what I most like about it is how it reminds me of how comfortable the original A1 hand guard was. The wider bottom lays naturally in the palm, and also provides what I consider to be a more stable contact point, when laying it on sand bags or other rests.
                          Had to chime in on this old thread --- as I also have a positive opinion of the Magpul MOE handguards. Very comfortable to hold and lock in very solid. I wouldn't say they remind me of an A1 HG though, which IMHO is too fat at the rear and tapers to too small at the front. I acquired an old surplus A1 upper many years ago and couldn't change its HG fast enough to an A2 type. I just couldn't stand the feel of that taper.

No, the MOE, to me, feels much more like a FAL HG, which has that interesting and comfortable triangular x-section but thankfully does not taper:

l_274000031_7.jpg

EDIT: And in case it hasn't been mentioned, here is PRI's CF triangle handguard. I like this design also. Don't know if one/style has been mentioned in this thread yet:

07-IMG_20170918_185030-1.jpg
                          Last edited by SDW; 12-28-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• HKGuns
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2021

Don't overlook Midwest Industries hand guards. They have a very nice selection of well made MLOK guards from ultra light wight to ultra slim. I think my favorite is the slim MLOK as it feels really good in the hand.

- Made in the US
                            - Anti-Rotation tabs
                            - Barrel nut that doesn't require timing for gas tube install
                            - All kits come with barrel wrench and plastic MLOK rail section
                            - QD sling sockets
                            - Nice selection of weights and lengths

I have no affiliation with MI, I just think they're stuff is solid.

I also like "some" of the Strike Industries rails and have one of their rails on my Grendel and another 20" 556 rifle.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              UPDATE:

• Monolithic billet

• Ribbed A2
                              • Ribbed carbine
                              • Cylinder aluminum tube
                              • SIR
                                [*]1913 12 o'clock, octagonal cross section

• [*]Sling attachment via QD sockets, how many QD socket options

V. Handguard Material
                              • Wood
                              • Bakelite
                              • 6061 Tubular aluminum
                              • Al/Mg alloy
                              • Al/Li alloy
                              • Billet 7075T6
                              • Billet 6061
                              • Carbon fiber
                              When it comes to handguards, I have favorites for different settings and configurations. All of this is of course IMHO, and we all have our preferences.

For 20" National match, I quite like the classic A2 plastic handguards, over a free float tube.

For 20" AR Tactical, where I will run a bipod (and where Grendel really shines in that 600 yard course), I like a more typical modern aluminum handguard, free floated of course.

For M4 style level high speed rapid fire, at a sustained high rate of fire, I've learned the hard way that the nifty bare aluminum handguards become too hot to hold onto after about the 3rd magazine. And for anything select fire or othewise intended to be able to do 90 rounds of fire in one or 2 minutes, a heat shield and plastic is the way to go. The Magpul line is excellent, for the reasons already stated.

For general purpose patrol-rifle M4, my own bias these days is for a very light weight comfortable build, that's easy to maintain. For me, running something like a skinny FAXON Gunner Profile, or Pencil profile. When made here in modern times with our modern high QC metalurgy, machining, finish, and stress relieving, , I've personally found skinny barrels can deliver excellent accuracy and excellent sustained accuracy even when hot. Which was something not to be expected, even 10 years go. So to that end, with a more KISS but with features (ha, no contradictions there), on a patrol rifle general purpose build, I've grown to really like this particuar handguard, from PSA of all places.

I particularly like this unit because:
                              -Extremely light weight.
                              -Middy length is plenty long for the longest I typically hold my rifle (I've never been one to reach out past the gas block on how I use my gear, personally). But longer than the 7" carbine length, which really is too small and short.
                              -Yet it stops just short of the gas-block, which allows access to maintenance of the block. With the more common adjustable blocks these days, they tend to sieze up adjustability, unless stroked or accessed. And sometimes one wants to pull off the gas-block, which now can be done without screwing with removing the handguard. And just a personal preference, but I actually like my gas block exposed.
                              -Has machined in QD points on both sides, with ratchet components even. Meaning closer to KISS, since I don't have to add an addition mass of a sling addition point, the holes are already there. I like this.
                              -Diameter. I like the smooth and skinny surface and diameter, and find it very comfortable and prefered for my particular hands.
                              -Free float. It comes with a barrel nut, and attaches only to the barrel nut.
                              -Stable generation. PSA went through seveal steps of generation with securing systems, with earlier ones rotating when hot, etc. This one has little ears that revent rotation, and a lock point to prevent sliding back and forth. Simple, yet secure.
                              -Expandable, if I want more rail, it's very easy to M-Lock add particularly what I want, and only add that. I don't care for the look, weight, or feel of unutilized rail-space, personally.
                              -Value - this is actually a high quality well machined and well finished handguard, that is sold at PSA prices.

Here is what it looks like on my current patrol rifle configuration, which is my favorite overall general 16" M4 .223. On this one, I run a low-blast but still effective BCM break, that I also just love. I run the same handguard on my 14.5" pin and weld Grendel.

(gun in background is an MDRx. I like bullpups, I like 6.5, that's the only 6.5 bullpup ya can get)
                              4x P100

Comment

Working...
                              X