• Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What type of shooter are you?

What type of shooter are you?

Poll is multiple choice.

If you don't see something that fits, explain in your post.

I'm a military vet, suburbanite competitive shooter who likes to hunt as well, does a lot of multi-day course shooting events throughout the year.

One of the appealing things to me about 6.5 Grendel is how many bases it can cover in such a lightweight package if I want.

I realize my path in life is different than others.

What's your path?
    Suburbanite who struggles to find local ranges to shoot at
    0%
    New shooter age 18-30 who learned about 6.5 Grendel via social media
    0%
    Competitive shooter
    0%
    Old dog learning new tricks, didn't really like AR15 until I heard it could fire something bigger
    0%
    Rural dweller enjoying the slow life, need practical protection from predators and like to hunt
    0%
    Military vet who is interested in pursuing continued improvements in rifles and marksmanship
    0%
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

An old dog, yes, but I've always enjoyed shooting the AR. Shot High power with one back in the late 80's though being a single parent of a special needs son put a stop to it.

My Son in Law rekindled my interest and I've started building uppers and lowers though I'm having a hard time finding a quality place to shoot.

So you see I could have marked one of several choices in your poll. BTW I love the Grendel and believe it to be the perfect round for the AR.
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

I fit into multiple slots.

Depends on what firearm I have that day.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Suburbanites who wants to shoot allot more and is working towards that goal

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Retired LE, living slow life in rural area. Always been a gun nut and just enjoy shooting. Mostly shot handguns till the mid 90’s then started shooting rifles more. Started using AR’s in LE for CQB and got hooked on the platform. Got bitten by the 6.5 Grendel about 2009 and now enjoy trying my hand at shooting rifles at long range.

Never got into the competition shooting as it always seemed like a game that just used guns. Wife is picky eater and never wanted fresh game so I quit hunting except for varmints.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Former competitive shooter (handguns), own a private gun range, hunter
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

I live in town, on the edge. My heart lives in the woods, and my home looks like it. My range time is hampered by longer travel times to get to a decent one. My friend has a place out to 150- 250 if we push it, but it's not always available.

I want to train, improve, and upgrade all my shooting skills and gear.

The Grendel fits so many of the bills for my shooting interests, but can't kill a bird legally in Ks. I think of it perhaps as my trainer into the PRS world.

I have a son who is a more natural talent with a gun and rest than I, and I am both dismayed and delighted at this.

I want above all to protect liberty; the ability do do what I want when I want, and the people with whom I share those freedoms with.

ETA: I never liked the AR until I shot my first one, then was immediately aware of it's infectious curse. I found Grendel after wanting to make my 5.56 BCM into a longer range plains rifle.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Multiple tour Combat Vet, Retired and now working DOD.
                Moved to Missouri to be out in the woods and able to play with my guns without the idiot Politicians like the West coast where I was born and raised.
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Old guy lifelong gun owner who didn't care to hunt and didn't care about the military-style weapons systems the kids (like my son) drool over.
                  Also 6-year Navy veteran who never got to touch any weapon after leaving boot camp.

Stumbled on some feral hog hunting videos, learned more about the serious hog problem (and what it costs us) and remembered the wild boar stories in the outdoors magazines when I was a kid.
                  Got fired up, learned about ARs, researched and picked 6.5G. Recently completed AR build, currently completing reloading bench and equipment collection. Plan to hit first Texas hog hunt within a few months.

It's funny how well this fits me: Old dog learning new tricks, didn't really like AR15 until I heard it could fire something bigger
                  Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-30-2018, 07:24 PM.
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Old dog, retired from federal and Navy combined, like to fiddle around and build/modify rifles, on the edge of suburbia wanting to go farther out of town (but land is too expensive), looking for critters (but not finding them much lol!)... I like bolt rifles more, I guess but the Grendel is a sweet-shooting and legal deer rifle in AR platform -- what's not to like?
                    I have thought about Texas or maybe SC for hog hunting b/c it would be something to shoot at and good for the land... win-win.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Redomen
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

Suburbanite looking for the perfect rural spot to retire. I am a die hard hunter and always looking to improve my knowledge and shooting skills. Other than bow hunting the Grendel is my “go to” rifle. I like all types of firearms though.

Comment

• 204 AR
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2015

Rural life, not slow however. Have my own range, actually use the bedroom window sill for a benchrest in the winter lol. I don't have a Grendel at the moment, but have 2 of the 6mm variants as they fit my predator hunting better.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

Not a military vet, but thank you to those who are. My main interest has always been hunting. Grew up rural, and packed a .22 every weekend as we played unsupervised in the vineyards, and bought a .30-06 when I was 12. Actually wasn’t drawn to the AR platform until the Grendel. Currently residing in a quiet neighborhood, in a town with a 300 yard public range, surrounded by millions of acres of BLM land. I like smashing steel at the range, and recently took up reloading.

Comment

• jackthemundy
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2018

I'm retired oilfield trash who loves shooting and occasionally fishing. Sorta new to AR's but now have four uppers and two lowers. Still don't have a 308 yet but that's next. I shoot off my back porch from a bench or from box blinds and tree stands on my property. I have no interest in killing paper targets and my longest available shot is 410 yards from the back porch so I prefer lethality over precision.
                            My only fear is that DNS will kill every hog in the State of Texas before I can get my Grendel barrel broken in!!

Comment

• BCHunter
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2018

I'm a procrastinating perfectionist, grew up in the country and everything that entailed with 200 acres of private river bottoms for a playground. Now am a suburanite that drives way too much to shoot. I enjoy everything outdoors and wish october was 90 days long. I always enjoyed firearms from how they function to history of there development to tinkering with them to work better.
                              Never thought I had a need for an AR, but built my first one after Obama scare and got hooked, looking for something more reliable terminal ballistics on deer lead me here.

Comment

Working...
                              X