• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge0272
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Barrel Choice

Hi guys. New here and looking for some information and help.
    I need a barrel for my new and first 6.5 Grendel. I am building an SBR. Was thinking of the group buy 12.5" barrel , but I am impatient and can't wait that long.
    PA has a Bear Creek 16" barrel for sale. Was going to get that and send it to ADCO and get it cut down to the 11.7" to fit just past the rail and give almost a seamless transition to the suppressor. (Cheapest Option)
    Or should I go ahead and just spend the money and get a Faxon or BA barrel?
    Rifle will be mainly a fun range toy and maybe one day go Hog Hunting.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

If you're just looking for a blaster, that sounds like a plan.

I have no hands-on experience with Bear Creek yet.

I only have shot:

AA Shaw
    AA Satern
    AA new Lightweight Fluted series (several 16" and 18")
    PF Bartlein
    PF Criterion
    PF Lilja
    PF Krieger
    Lilja group buy (many)
    Shilen
    Templar Bartlein
    Liberty
    Midway AR Stoner (Liberty)
    Underground Tactical
    Specialized Dynamics
    LaRue

I have a Faxon 12" Group Buy barrel that is getting ready to get its paces worked out, and there have been some in the EE that sell quickly. What I have seen, as with all barrels in the past, that if you don't have high accuracy expectations, an entry level barrel can be fine, as long as they are chambered and ported correctly.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-22-2018, 08:46 PM. Reason: Forgot PF Criterion
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

I always remind myself that even though you can have barrels cheap, they are the absolute heart of your build. If there is any place to lower costs, I would look elsewhere first. I have a 12 inch Faxon GB barrel, and I have found that so far, for what I got, at the cost, I don't believe it can be beaten for value.

I got lucky and was able to stumble onto an extra GB from the last round, and didn't have to wait. If I was doing it again though, I would wait. I have other toys I can use until the new one gets finished.

My two cents; The BCA barrel is probably fine, but you're taking a big chance on the ADCO cut job. If the barrel (for the price, QC is going to be lower - economic laws and all) is a less than worthy piece, it's now a wasted investment. If you buy it, build it, break it in, and find it worthy to cut down, well now you've spent time and money getting to the same basic place you would have been if you'd have bought the GB barrel and waited. There are no guarantees anywhere though, you could plan for the moon and have the fuel pump croak at the end of the driveway...

There are other benefits to the GB barrels that can't be had at Faxon's retail page. The chamber portion of the barrel is full mass for more of the barrel than the typical profile, providing strength where it counts, and giving a more rigid barrel design. It's light profiled, I think correctly, also for the right balance of weight/longevity. It's 4150 QPQ, meaning it's going to last longer than the typical 416 barrel. It's got the EE rifling, with more aggressive rifling edges allowing it to grip even the steel bullets slightly better than typical 5R which we have been discussing lately that even Bill Alexander himself said was a disadvantage for 5R when using the cheap Wolf. Also, being 5R it may (likely?) have better overall accuracy profiles than non 5R barrels when using standard or solid bullet designs. And probably most impressive is the availability of the Bolt/barrel combo if you buy both from BFT and the group buys. The bolt and barrel are both real works of craftsmanship, and for the cost together what you're saving over retail would probably buy two BCA barrels anyway. Both are commissioned to embody the design intentions of the cartridge as Bill intended, BFT being a stickler about getting the Grendel right. You know this setup is going to work, without the issue of incorrect dimensions and the possible lack of quality components.

Actually, I wish I had a 12.5 barrel, it would work absolutely perfect under my Larue 11 inch rail when I get the suppressor on it. Hmmm.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• kcb38
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        I only have shot...
        "Only"
        - Kirk -

Comment

• Jorge0272
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

Kswhitetails, I did jump on the group buy for the bolt. I do know the Faxon barrel is going to be very nice. I have used one on a 5.56 and actually still have a brand new 16" 5.56 sitting in the package at home. Probably sell it since I don't need it. I know ADCO will do a fine job on the cutting and threading. Its just the waiting 10 weeks for the group buy barrel!
          Everything tells me to wait for the group buy.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Ha. Understood, Jorge. We've become a society of instant gratification, for better or worse. My only point on the ADCO work is that if you draw a barrel that isn't up to snuff, and have it cut, then find out about it, your stuck with it. Unless you are willing to work it in first, ensure it's performance and then send it in for cutting. Then you've probably gotten several weeks at least unless you're able to shoot a much higher schedule than I am (which being honest isn't really hard to do). And then, you'll be waiting to get it to and from them for cutting, so you'd be right were you would be just waiting on the GB barrel.

There have just been too many minor reasons to send the BCA barrels back lately to put my mind at ease having one cut before I know it's going to perform...

Any interest in trading my assembled but unfired 12 inch for the new 12.7? I'm in no real hurry to shoot mine, and the extra length would allow me to use my 11" handguards with the suppressor better. I could ship potentially Friday. Win/win? Hit me up if you wanna throw it around...

Really though, If it were me, I'd wait. It'll just make it that much sweeter when it finally does arrive.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Keef
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

I did the cut and havent even crowned it yet and it appears to still shoot great. But it is hard to compare because it now wears a 2moa red dot and a pistol tube instead of the 3_18x leupould and a stock like when it was a 16"er. When I have time I will put the Leupold back on and shoot off a bench for a better comparison. I don't understand paying someone to cut a cheap barrel....

Comment

• Jorge0272
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2018

-Kswhitetails, I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                X