• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Parts shifting

I recently came into a PSA 6.8 complete upper, some brass, bullets and dies. I shot it as a 6.8 and was pleased with it's accuracy but I wanted 2 Grendels not one of each. So I had the BCA barrel and the group buy bolt head installed on the PSA upper and kept the Mlok handgaurd. Well accuracy has been so so but shooting conditions have been rough with cold temps and high winds so that may not really be the rifles fault. What I don't like is the Mlok handguard's weight, it is 15 inches long and certainly weighs more than the barrel itself. I hope to replace the front handguard with a M4 military style version simply for the weight reduction. Maybe in the end this upper will shoot as well as the Complete upper from BCA I bought a while back.
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

rickt300, there are numerous handguard alternatives in M-Lok and keymod that are significantly lighter than what you have. And, these are still freefloating as opposed to maintaining barrel contact with the M4 ( not desirable ). If you are going to change handguards, be sure to verify that the barrel is solidly installed ( thermo-fit or glued or ... ).
    What part of the world are you in, there may be some of us who can help you thru this process.

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I live near Burleson. Seems the wind is easing up so I might get to shoot without being moved around as I shoot. However I just checked the barrel for play and it easily wiggles around! Taking it back monday. I only have this work done because I don't want to buy the tools and the guy works cheap. Hmmmm

Comment

• Tex Nomex
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Play in a barrel is BAD. VERY BAD. I respectfully suggest you borrow/buy the tools or go to a real gunsmith who at least owns a torque wrench.
        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
        -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Randy99CL
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
          and the guy works cheap. Hmmmm
          There are a few things any gunsmith should consider a priority. No matter what else happens, the barrel shouldn't be loose. What else has he forgotten/not checked?
          A real gunsmith would know that if your gun blew up and killed you your relatives would sue him for millions. I bet you had the work done by a buddy who's "put a few of these together and nothing bad has happened."

The tools don't cost that much and pay for themselves quickly.
          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• rickt300
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

No I took it to a nearby shop that does build Ar's regularly. Not going to say who they are until I see if they are going to make it right. All I want is a reliable accurate rifle not a spat with the closest place that does work I need done.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

An outside chance it's the barrel extension. Remove the upper receiver from the lower and see if the barrel extension turns with the barrel. Hmmmm... Or maybe not?
              Last edited by Tex Nomex; 02-04-2018, 05:56 PM.
              "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
                An outside chance it's the barrel extension. Remove the upper receiver from the lower and see if the barrel extension turns with the barrel. Hmmmm... Or maybe not?
                Tex - he's likely to be at the mercy of the gun shop for that determination, as he's already mentioned his lack of the tools needed to install or remove the barrel.

OP - please keep us updated on how the shop treats you in this matter. As some have mentioned, there's a world of difference between a gun shop and a gun smith.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

Ive got a vice, torque wrench, aeroshell, punch, Allen keys, bev block, and magpul armors tool. Located in north Benbrook if you need to come by and tear it apart. I don't do the lapping or locktite in the barrel though.
                  Last edited by ClutchAutomatic; 02-04-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Kinda torn on this.
                    Do you give the guy who screwed it up a do-over and probably get a BS-infused excuse or do you have someone else give you a diagnosis first? I think I'd go with a non-invasive second opinion and then take it back to gunsmith 1 to see what he says...

Comment

• v1911
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

Rick, when you say you’re near Burleson, are you referring to Burleson, TX?

If so, make the drive up to Winchester Gun Gallery. They’re still under repair from a fire that occurred last year but their Smith is still working. He does good work. I’ve had him assemble and work on 3 different AR with zero issues and a quick turnaround. In March or April I’ll be having him assemble my newest upper.

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

Rick, ( presuming you mean Burleson, TX ) if you don't mind a drive to central Collin County - up 75 - then we can fix it. Got all the tools and some time.

Comment

Working...
                        X