Rifle length Gas system on a carbine buffer/spring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calfed
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Rifle length Gas system on a carbine buffer/spring.

I just put a 20" Aero upper on a Aero lower with a carbine stock. Is this going to function properly?
  • 98Z
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

For the most part, the recoil system is independent of the gas system. It'll function. After shooting, you might find that you want to tune the recoil system a little, but that's when the heavier carbine buffers would come in to play (H1, H2, H3).

Comment

• Calfed
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
      For the most part, the recoil system is independent of the gas system. It'll function. After shooting, you might find that you want to tune the recoil system a little, but that's when the heavier carbine buffers would come in to play (H1, H2, H3).
      Thanks, 98. Once I get it running, I'll post a range report.

Comment

• wilecoyote
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

I used standard and heavy carbine buffers when my Grendel has ACS, ACS-L, STR and UBR. Both worked with a rifle length gas system just fine. I switched to a rifle buffer with a PRS, but have switched to a JP Silent Capture Spring in an XLR stock. It is standard weight on the buffer and is smooth and quiet. Difference in recoil was minimal because there's not much to begin with.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

All my builds use CAR buffers/springs and they function 100%. From CLGS 12.5" Grendel and 10.3" 5.56 to MLGS 14.75" and 16" 5.56 to RLGS 20" Wyldes and 20"/24" Grendels. Most with fixed gas blocks, some with AGBs, never have had an issue, they all go bang when I jerk the trigger. Lowers have been everthing from PSA completes, to stripped Anderson or AP with a dog's breakfast of LPKs and stocks... Probably due to amazing ignorance, physics makes my brain hurt, pretty sure I still don't know what I don't know, IMHO.
          Last edited by AZHTfreak; 02-11-2018, 09:15 AM.
          DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• wilecoyote
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

Some go with adjustable gas blocks, mines always had a fixed with no issue. Only rifle that's needed adjustability thus far has been the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

• Calfed
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2018

Thanks, guys. Got to the range last weekend and sent 20 rounds down range...no malfunctions.

Comment

• 98Z
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Right on.

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

It will probably function just fine, but anytime I put a RLGS on a carbine length buffer system, I prefer an H2 or H3 buffer
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 98Z
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2018

Yep ^^^, I just went through this on mine. 18" RLGS, so I went with the VLTOR A5 setup, their H1 buffer. It's almost the weight of a carbine H2 buffer. Functions great.

Comment

Working...
                    X