Poll: Best hunting bullet for the Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sierracharlie338
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Poll: Best hunting bullet for the Grendel?

Ok I am about to start loading for my G. Ive been shooting ELD-M factory ammo to this point but want to see what the board says based on their experience. Obviously looking from something that performs well from about 75-200 yards.

I looked for previous posts outlining hunting specific bullets but didn't see anything. I should also add this disclaimer, I am looking for the most accurate hunting bullet, because who isn't? I know that can be considered an oxymoron by some people but thats what I am after. Minute of barn isn't gonna cut it for me. Id prefer sub MOA up to plain old MOA will work i suppose

So what says the board? ELD-M, Nosler, Berger, Spire Points, GMX orrrrrrrrr. . . . .

Thanks,

SC
  • ClutchAutomatic
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

I kind of hope the 123gr eld-m projectile is all i'll ever need. Bought 1000 of them for reloading.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

For the Grendel HordeÂ’s convenience, I have compiled my results for a sampling of .264 caliber lead-free projectiles (LFPs). Also included are results from testing an experimental LFP, the 90g Cereberus, developed by our very own BluntForceTrama et. al. The main goal of this work was to give the Grendel reloader a single

Pick a few and try in your rifle.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

With zero practical experience but much research I'm going to try the Lehigh 95g Controlled Chaos for thin-skinned critters. https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/264
        Or the 110g Copper version: https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...64-6-5-grendel

And the Barnes 100g TTSX for hogs: http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/ttsx/

For varmints the Speer 90g TNTs are only 19 cents each. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/33...int-box-of-100
        Last edited by Randy99CL; 02-04-2018, 11:55 PM.
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

There are plenty to choose from... I like 3 or 4 myself.
          A big part of your decision will be, what does your rifle like?
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• sierracharlie338
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            Tons of good info there but I don't want to limit myself with the LFPs. I have shot tons of deer with the good ole Interlock bullet from Hornady in 30 cal so needless to say Im open to suggestions.

Comment

• sierracharlie338
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              There are plenty to choose from... I like 3 or 4 myself.
              A big part of your decision will be, what does your rifle like?

Such as? I do know it will depend on what the rifle dictates but looking for suggestions at this point. Im curious what you have had success with.

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Here's a resource you can browse through.

Could we try and gather some data from our Grendel performance in game? Please keep it short for ease of orientation. BULLET WHAT ANIMAL SHOT APPR DISTANCE SHOT WHERE IN THE BODY IT WAS SHOT DISTANCE TRAVELLED AFTER SHOT M/YDS Here's a summary from post #35

The Hornady 123gr SST is the most commonly used hunting bullet. Not to say it's the best, just the most popular.

Comment

• 6.5_fanatic
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

I am loading the 100 grain nosler ballistic tip and the 120 grain Sierra prohunter for my 50 to 200 yard hunting. They are real accurate in my rifle.

Comment

• 6.5_fanatic
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

I am hoping the 120 grain prohunter will be a good pig bullet. I am loading 27.6 grains of 8208 at 2480 fps.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 6.5_fanatic View Post
                      I am hoping the 120 grain prohunter will be a good pig bullet. I am loading 27.6 grains of 8208 at 2480 fps.
                      27.6 gr of 8208 was my sweet spot on 123 gr eld-m!

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        Such as? I do know it will depend on what the rifle dictates but looking for suggestions at this point. Im curious what you have had success with.
                        Hdy 123 sst, Hdy 100 ELDm, Lehigh 110 controlled chaos, 129 ABLR (Nosler), 130 Nosler AB, 90 TNT-Speer... these are probably my favorites. Have you bought the 2-volume Grendel Handbook? That's THE place for good info on the Grendel - a must-buy IMO.

My success has been targets so far, but hunting is my ultimate goal. As always work up slowly and be observant, as ymmv.

Comment

• sierracharlie338
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2018

Thanks again for all the replies guys

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          Hdy 123 sst, Hdy 100 ELDm, Lehigh 110 controlled chaos, 129 ABLR (Nosler), 130 Nosler AB, 90 TNT-Speer... these are probably my favorites. Have you bought the 2-volume Grendel Handbook? That's THE place for good info on the Grendel - a must-buy IMO.

My success has been targets so far, but hunting is my ultimate goal. As always work up slowly and be observant, as ymmv.
                          I actually just found it in the past couple of days. I will be ordering this week. Thanks for the reply bud. Looks like I have some decision making to do. And probably alot of shooting and test. Shucks!

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

Lots of shooting........ o darn. I have a to go to the range..... tuff life!!!!!!

Comment

• tpepper70
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip. Very accurate and very deadly.

Comment

Working...
                              X