• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longbow62
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2018

Honest opinions please

I am acquiring parts for a Grendel build, but I am hung up on what brand barrel. It's going to be 20" for sure. I have a JP barrel on my main AR. I am extremely happy with the JP, but this time I am leaning towards a 20" Lilja. Faxon Match 20" looks great, and Ballistic Advantage 20" DMR is a possibility, but I worry there is no way either can shoot as good as a Lilja. I don't want a barrel that will shoot three tight then start walking the rest around. I reload and never buy ammo. I shoot out to 600 with my current AR and expect this Grendel build to be as accurate or better. I just don't think a Faxon or BA barrels can give the accuracy I am looking for. I have watched some youtube videos just to get an idea of what the lower priced barrels can do and I am not impressed with what I have seen on there. I hate paying close to $500.00 for a barrel but in my opinion that is the only way for it not to be crap shoot on the accuracy potential.

If anybody has a Faxon, BA, Odin, etc. 6.5 Grendel barrel and can point me to a video or a tread with actual pics of groups to spare me from paying big bucks for a barrel I would appreciate it.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I’ve said it many times.

Buy once cry once.

I have two 20” guns. One Bartlien one Lilja. The b shoots everything very well. The L is a bit more picky. Last summer I found they both liked 30.8 gr of 8208 under a 100 Nosler bt.

Up to that point the Lilja usually favored a bit lower charge than the Bartlien.

Also, higher end barrels a supposed to hold their accuracy after they heat up better than lower end barrels.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• longbow62
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2018

Yeah I agree probably go Lilja.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Go big or go home

Proof Research CF.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end barrels as long as the person cutting the rifling and chamber knows what they are doing and cares about their product.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

I would consider a t-box barrel. Lots of people are reporting half moa or better out of it.

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            Go big or go home

Proof Research CF.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end barrels as long as the person cutting the rifling and chamber knows what they are doing and cares about their product.
            If you're looking for a high end custom barrel like a Krieger or Bartlien the price is pretty close to the Proof. Even a heavy fluted Lilja is within $200 depending on who you buy the Proof from.

Comment

• longbow62
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

Thanks, I never heard of T-Box. I took a look at them.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by longbow62 View Post
                Thanks, I never heard of T-Box. I took a look at them.
                7-8 week lead time on them right now according to sgt of arms.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Better than the 7-8 month from PF
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

I bought a JP barrel 22" SS Supermatch with a 1:8 twist that very accurate. It likes every American made ammo I've tried. I really think the 1:8 twist is an absolute must. The chamber is tight and doesn't stretch yours brass which saves you $.
                    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

The most accurate 20" Grendels I've personally experienced have been:

Older AA GDMR with Satern fluted barrel
                      Precision Firearms Bartlein
                      Specialized Dynamics
                      Lilja AR740

The Lilja AR740 ships the fastest, the AA/Satern is no longer available, but was replaced with Shilen and still available as complete GDMR rifles for $2890.

The PF Bartlein option lead time is 10-12 weeks.

You're rolling the dice with the $300 barrels in my experience. They'll all general shoot around MOA or better, but the high-end barrels are high-end for a reason so you don't have to worry about the accuracy part.

From the older AA/Satern GDMR and PF Bartlein pipes, I've seen or have shot 7 and 8rd groups into the .2s and .3s.

I've shot into the .3s with Lilja bull barrels, but not the AR740.

The AR740 is more of a medium contour barrel with .750" diameter under the handguard, which makes it nice for being able to carry around and still have an accurate barrel.

For shooting in at 600yds, pretty much any Grendel barrel from a decent source will have no problem ringing 12" steel plates.

Once you start getting down to 8" and smaller is where the higher end barrels come into their own.

If you are just cutting paper and want tighter groups at 600, buy as much barrel as you can and look forward.

If you are currently happy with JP, I wouldn't rule them out just because of 18" RLGS or 22" RLGS options.

You're not going to see any practical results that are different between an 18" and 20" barrel, as they will have maybe 100fps at the most difference in mv spread, but more often within 50fps.

18" barrels will normally push a 123gr from 2470-2510, and 20" will usually do 2490-2560. Since the BCs are pretty high, you just won't see much difference in wind drift.

You're looking at a difference of 5.3 mils drop / 1.5 mils drift with the 18" using 123gr Scenar, and 5 mils drop / 1.4 mils drift with the 20", same load.

Stepping up to the 22", you get 4.7 mils drop and still 1.4 mils drift with the 123gr Scenar or 123gr SMK.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdram
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        The most accurate 20" Grendels I've personally experienced have been:

Older AA GDMR with Satern fluted barrel
                        Precision Firearms Bartlein
                        Specialized Dynamics
                        Lilja AR740

The Lilja AR740 ships the fastest, the AA/Satern is no longer available, but was replaced with Shilen and still available as complete GDMR rifles for $2890.

The PF Bartlein option lead time is 10-12 weeks.

You're rolling the dice with the $300 barrels in my experience. They'll all general shoot around MOA or better, but the high-end barrels are high-end for a reason so you don't have to worry about the accuracy part.

From the older AA/Satern GDMR and PF Bartlein pipes, I've seen or have shot 7 and 8rd groups into the .2s and .3s.

I've shot into the .3s with Lilja bull barrels, but not the AR740.

The AR740 is more of a medium contour barrel with .750" diameter under the handguard, which makes it nice for being able to carry around and still have an accurate barrel.

For shooting in at 600yds, pretty much any Grendel barrel from a decent source will have no problem ringing 12" steel plates.

Once you start getting down to 8" and smaller is where the higher end barrels come into their own.

If you are just cutting paper and want tighter groups at 600, buy as much barrel as you can and look forward.

If you are currently happy with JP, I wouldn't rule them out just because of 18" RLGS or 22" RLGS options.

You're not going to see any practical results that are different between an 18" and 20" barrel, as they will have maybe 100fps at the most difference in mv spread, but more often within 50fps.

18" barrels will normally push a 123gr from 2470-2510, and 20" will usually do 2490-2560. Since the BCs are pretty high, you just won't see much difference in wind drift.

You're looking at a difference of 5.3 mils drop / 1.5 mils drift with the 18" using 123gr Scenar, and 5 mils drop / 1.4 mils drift with the 20", same load.

Stepping up to the 22", you get 4.7 mils drop and still 1.4 mils drift with the 123gr Scenar or 123gr SMK.
                        we need to start a fund to buy barrels for you to review
                        just some targets for printing
                        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                          we need to start a fund to buy barrels for you to review
                          You know, I was just thinking that last night.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdram
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            You know, I was just thinking that last night.
                            barrel could even be sold on forum after to help fund next one.
                            just some targets for printing
                            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• longbow62
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2018

I still have not pulled the trigger on a barrel yet, but I am leaning towards the Lilja 740. I am wanting something that is not a real pain to carry.

Comment

Working...
                              X