X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Precision Firearms Bartlein 20” shoots every thing great, is a little heavy to carry a lot unless on a sling, The scope doesn’t help with the weight. When I first got it I shot a grouping of mixed factory to adjust the gas block at 100 yards.61AABDF9-16E9-4D3F-9500-0EAD0166DC84.jpeg53F99C14-6B4D-413F-A6F1-9CE13AA85E29.jpeg

Comment

• longbow62
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2018

I went ahead and ordered a Lilja 740 20" barrel. So presently I have:
      VLTOR MUR FDE
      Aero Precision M4 enhanced lower FDE
      Larue A.P.E.G grip FDE
      Geissele SSA-E
      Magpul MOE Rifle stock
      Palmetto State lower parts kit
      Elander mags 3-17's 2-10's
      KAW Valley 7.62 Linear Comp FDE
      Hornady 6.5 Grendel Dies
      200 Hornady 123 SST
      250 pieces Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass
      1 pound CFE223

I still have to order:
      SLR .750 adjustable gas block
      Rifle length gas tube
      Midwest Industries SP 18" handguard FDE
      JP FMOS with Grendel bolt
      JP Silent capture heavy buffer
      Still a long way to go and that does not include a scope and mount. Whew!!!

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Go with the standard buffer SCS since you will have the Superlative AGB. You're just going to end up needing to give a heavy buffer more gas to offset the weight. Could mess up dwell time and result in ejector marks from timing that could be misread as pressure and maybe slow down your follow ups. If you really want to tune, get the alternative spring pack. I run a JP FMOS with standard buffer and the lightest spring of the 3 in the large frame SCS spring pack in my 6.5 CM (which is a notorious caliber for dwell time issues).

Somehow I ended up misordering a heavy buffer SCS to go with the LMOS carrier on my 22" JP barreled Grendel. It works fine, but one of these days I'm going to get around to getting standard weights for it. I need to take off the handguard to adjust the gas block, so it never seems to get near the top of my to do list.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• longbow62
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2018

You are probably right about the SCS buffer. The standard weight will probably work fine.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

You are gonna like the Lilja.

This past weekend I was at a friends ranch in south Texas carrying my Lilja 740. There was a group of black birds on the bank of a pond that I lazed at 258 yards. As I selected my target another bird walked behind it. I squeezed the trigger and watched them both tumble.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• longbow62
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

I have never heard anyone badmouth a Lilja barrel. I own one Lilja .22 rimfire barrel and it's a shooter. I can't order everything I need at once. Hopefully I can finish this build without dragging it out to long.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Lilja makes barrels used in the Olympics. Smaller lesser-known companies and start-ups don't. While I am all for competition there's no upside for being the guinea pigs of a company's reputation, except maybe a lower price. That said, if your main focus is to save money then you will never own an Olympic barrel. Olympic barrels cost twice as much as mainstream barrels but we're only talking a couple of hundred dollars. As most of the accuracy is in the barrel this is one part of a build that you should never compromise.

I am also careful of social media being used by owners and advocates of various products. Their advice will be managed and biased. You may never know who is hiding behind a third-party avatar to push particular products. I would be careful when someone advises the purchase of a no-name barrel.

I have used two Liljas; one in 223 and one in Grendel. Both have been outstanding and better than all other AR barrels I have ever used. You won't be disappointed.

There's also an interesting read where Dan Lilja shares his knowledge of barrel making here;
                Gary Sandlin, the NBRSA Gulf Coast regional director, asked me recently to write an article for NBRSA NEWS describing in general terms how a rifle barrel is manufactured. I will attempt to do so without getting too technical. Hopefully I won’t reveal anyone’s “secrets”, either. For the smaller custom barrel makers, there are two basic... View Article

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Looking forward to your build and a range report!

Lilja barrels seem to shoot the lights out based on all account found here.

My recent build with a 22" JP has stolen my heart... shoots everything so damn well... Hell it's the first barrel in any caliber I own that shoots teeny tiny groups with CFE223.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Kilco, I'm glad you like that rifle. It needs a place on the wall behind your counter with a sign that says "If you're asking how much, you can't afford me". It just makes me smile, and Wampa Slayer? LOL!
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Back on topic: OP, Good choice. Enjoy the quality. As these guys can attest, quality is rarely measured in dollars and sense...
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                        Go with the standard buffer SCS since you will have the Superlative AGB. You're just going to end up needing to give a heavy buffer more gas to offset the weight. Could mess up dwell time and result in ejector marks from timing that could be misread as pressure and maybe slow down your follow ups.....
                        Ha! I'll bet that is where I am getting messed up with my loads. Getting flat primers on below max charges, and factory ammo. I got the SCS with the spring variety pack and put in a heavier spring.

That SOB is getting changed before this weekend for the SRM.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          Ha! I'll bet that is where I am getting messed up with my loads. Getting flat primers on below max charges, and factory ammo. I got the SCS with the spring variety pack and put in a heavier spring.

That SOB is getting changed before this weekend for the SRM.
                          Dwell time shouldn't affect primers. Even when I was bending case heads on 22 Nosler brass, the primers were fine.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• longbow62
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2018

I sold a set of bow limbs today so I ordered a FMOS BCG in Grendel. Since I have a SCS in my .223 AR I may try it out in the Grendel before ordering one to see how the standard SCS runs with my setup.

Comment

• longbow62
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2018

My Lilja AR740 came in today. Expecting other items this week or maybe early next. I think I have everything I need in hand or ordered now. I'm going to post a photo of the pile before I start putting it all together. I might add the AR740 will definitely be a press fit into the VLTOR MUR receiver. I will have to put the barrel in the freezer. Will heating the receiver help any in getting the barrel in the receiver? My first build unfortunately had slop and Loctite 243 was used on the extension as a gap filling measure. This one is 100% opposite. Any suggestions will be appreciated on best way to get the barrel and receiver mated together.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                                Chieftain
                                • Oct 2016

Anticipation was the impetus that drove the cat to commit curiosity suicide. Said so on the news, HAS to be true!

Comment

Working...
                                X