• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
    American Eagle 120 grain open tip match, it is the only round I can purchase locally.
    I do not have the equipment to do handloads.
    I did order a Spikes T2 buffer, will have to see if that helps
    If you're stateside, ammoseek.com is your friend.....
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• blackholegun
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2017

Yeah, I just ordered 10 boxes of Hornady black.
      Also received my T2 buffer, Primary Arms shipping is amazingly fast.
      Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Cool. After trying that combo, get the centerless spring, gets rid of most all of the sproing!
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

American Eagle 120 grain open tip match, it is the only round I can purchase locally.
          I do not have the equipment to do handloads.
          I did order a Spikes T2 buffer, will have to see if that helps
          What's your gas port diameter?

You might need the port opened since you have 18" RLGS.

Most 18" Grendels are MLGS, which is gassed pretty hard, but some have a more ideal Intermediate Length Gas System.

Precision Firearms introduced ILGS many years ago, and I think Odin Works uses it as well.

If your port is too small, with that reduced plug dwell time, it can cause short-stroking malfunctions.

Does the bolt ride over the base of the next cartridge when you see the malfunctions?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blackholegun
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

Well, shit, the heavier buffer and the JP spring did not help as I would hoped it would.
            I did the one round in the mag and adjust the gas block until the bolt holds open, then one more turn open.
            It works fine as a single shot.
            Can not even get to the second or sometimes the third round without it not ejecting completely and jamming with more than one round in the mag.
            Even tried another ELANDER same shit.
            This was with the American Eagle 120 grain rounds again as that is all I have currently.
            I do not know the gas port diameter on the barrel, will have to take it apart and measure it I guess.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

For 18" RLGS, I wouldn't use anything more than a carbine 2.9oz buffer, if the port is .094" or smaller, shooting 120gr.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blackholegun
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2017

After the first grendel build I did with the Faxon barrel mid length gas and with the little time invested in getting it running correctly.
                I think I am going to cut my losses and order another Faxon barrel.
                Either it works or it does not, and this combination does not work.

Comment

• blackholegun
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  For 18" RLGS, I wouldn't use anything more than a carbine 2.9oz buffer, if the port is .094" or smaller, shooting 120gr.
                  The issues are the same as running the 2.9 oz buffer
                  Again, I am not sure of the port on the barrel as I did not measure it.
                  I would hope I would not have to though.
                  All AP and BA parts, should work, right
                  Last edited by blackholegun; 02-14-2018, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Is the bolt locking all the way back on the bolt catch on single shot, or does it let go when you drop a mag? If it lets go, it's not enough gas.
                    Running a rifle length gas system on an 18" barrel means both gas pressure and dwell are diminished. I'd try a very wide open non-adjustable block on that rifle. And standard carbine buffer or, at max, a +1. Maybe even a lightened buffer spring.

Added:
                    Just a Q to clear up one possibility:
                    How much free space do you have between the bolt lugs and the bolt catch when you pull your charging handle all the way back?
                    Last edited by Tex Nomex; 02-14-2018, 02:45 AM. Reason: sp / Question
                    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• blackholegun
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2017

There is about 1/4-3/8" free space from all the way pulled back to locking on the bolt catch when releasing forward.
                      With the adjustable gas block wide open, it would also not feed reliably.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

There is about 1/4-3/8" free space from all the way pulled back to locking on the bolt catch when releasing forward.
                        With the adjustable gas block wide open, it would also not feed reliably.
                        So we know it's not a tube issue, at least.

With a marginal gas system:
                        Any kind or resistance is bad - rough chamber, dry BCG, new/dry rings, mag spring too stiff (new mags)...
                        Any kind of gas leak is bad - rough chamber, worn gas rings, loose gas block, misaligned gas block, worn gas tube, bad key seal...

You might have a weak extractor not keeping its grip on the case head when pressured by the compressed mag spring, especially with new mags.

I'd brush the chamber, check my gas key and tube end and shoot it with a non-adjustable gas block with a HUGE hole and some not-new magazines next. Sometimes these issues work themselves out after some shooting.
                        Last edited by Tex Nomex; 02-14-2018, 02:21 PM.
                        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

Maybe this is implied in your post, but have you tried running it with the gas block opened more? If not, I'd try opening it all the way to help eliminate undergassing as the culprit (or at least mostly eliminate, as I'm currently dealing with undergassing on a fully open block but that's on a 12" barrel). And if your still restricting gas flow through the gas block, you don't need to worry about your gas port diameter just yet.

Comment

• blackholegun
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2017

I am going to chalk this one up as a "Lesson learned" thing.
                            It is only my third build, so I am by no means fully experienced with the AR platform.
                            I was kind of leary about the rifle length gas barrel and the carbine buffer system.
                            I am now to the point of how can I fix this correctly and have a reliable gun.
                            At this point, I think the only logical answer is to purchase a Faxon 18" barrel with mid length gas system as I have a 223 Wylde upper to run on the lower also.
                            Will just have to sell the BA barrel to adjust some costs I guess

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Remember this for future builds: It's got nothing to do with the carbine buffer tube or carbine buffer. It is the long rifle gas system in a shorter-than-rifle barrel. It seems to need a larger gas port.

Try a different non-adjustable gas block.
                              -or-
                              Drill out the gas port. Easy with a drill press or for a shop to do.
                              -or-
                              Run a suppressor.
                              -or-
                              Try a Krink-style muzzle device.

You give up too easily. I truly believe this rig would be buttery smooth and accurate with a little more gas. Have you contacted BA and asked them how to make their barrel work? Could be out of spec.

Comment

• blackholegun
                                Bloodstained
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
                                Remember this for future builds: It's got nothing to do with the carbine buffer tube or carbine buffer. It is the long rifle gas system in a shorter-than-rifle barrel. It seems to need a larger gas port.

Try a different non-adjustable gas block.
                                -or-
                                Drill out the gas port. Easy with a drill press or for a shop to do.
                                -or-
                                Run a suppressor.
                                -or-
                                Try a Krink-style muzzle device.

You give up too easily. I truly believe this rig would be buttery smooth and accurate with a little more gas. Have you contacted BA and asked them how to make their barrel work? Could be out of spec.
                                I appreciate your suggestions, but in the end, they are not as cost effective or guaranteed to work.
                                The Faxon barrel build I did worked as good as I could expect as far as function and reliability.
                                I am not bashing BA as my Creedmoor is shooting fine with one of their barrels.

Comment

Working...
                                X