X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Now that I think about it, I had an 18" rlg once upon a time... 264/6.5 "whatevah" - barrel was decent but it just didn't suit me.
    Wound up selling it and going with a couple of faxon's.
    Much more at peace now.
    Everyone has 1 or 2 "lessons learned" in their closet, not to worry.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
      I appreciate your suggestions, but in the end, they are not as cost effective or guaranteed to work.
      The Faxon barrel build I did worked as good as I could expect as far as function and reliability.
      I am not bashing BA as my Creedmoor is shooting fine with one of their barrels.
      I completely understand. Had a car do me like that once...
      I purchased one of the group-buy 18" Faxons and it's a beauty for the money.
      Have yet to get to the range, though, so I can't offer you a range report.
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Open the port.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Open the port.
          This. Why spend money for another barrel, ($150+) - when you could strip things down, find a local machine shop, and pay much less to have a competent drill press user to step up the port a little? You've already got an adjustable gas block.

I don't want to push you, but it seems to me that you're giving up right before the finish line. If you're dead set on going with another barrel anyway, and a shop is too inconvenient, why not try to do it yourself before you do? Could pay off, might not, but even if it doesn't you're not any worse off than your current plan?

My advice - here, it comes with a free grain of salt.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

I didn't want to chime in because I also don't want to push you, but I have to say I agree with LRRPF and Ksw. After the effort and $ you've already put into this, why not spend a half hour opening the gas port. Even if you don't have a drill press you could easily do it with a hand drill. Just determine the maximum drill depth you can go without marring the bore opposite the gas port and put a stop on the drill bit or some electrical tape to tell you when to stop.

To each his own brother -- I'd just hate to see you abandon the barrel prematurely when an easy fix is in reach.

Comment

• blackholegun
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2017

I appreciate both of your guys advise, that is what is great about this sight.
              You will have to forgive me, but I already ordered the Faxon barrel for the sake of knowing in the end, I will have a reliable gun.
              Like I said, this only my third build, still learning.
              Someone will benefit from this as I am going to be selling the BA barrel.
              I do thank you guys and appreciate your input though.
              Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

I have an 18" grendel mid length gas system and it's awesome. I'm sure you'll love your faxon. Just be sure to let me know if you're down to selling that ba barrel at a "defective" price. I have an 18" .223 wylde Hanson profile barrel from ba and it's an outstanding barrel.

Comment

• blackholegun
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

I put an upper together in 223 wylde with the same barrel and it is a shooter no doubt.
                  My Faxon barrel will be here today, going to switch them out and then put the BA barrel up for sale

Comment

• Greyling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2018

for whatver it's worth, I had a blackout that was short stroking with my low powered 150grn cast lead bullets, even with a .125 gas port and carbine length gas system. I pulled 1 of the 3 weights out of the buffer. better, but still not good enough. So I cut 2 coils off the buffer spring and it has worked great ever since. Maybe the gas block was leaking, maybe my ammo was just too low powered, but remember, the AR was designed around the 223 round generating some 50K+ pressures. other calibers may need tweaking.

Comment

• blackholegun
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2017

I tweaked it by putting the Faxon barrel on it, all is good now.

Comment

• Greyling
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2018

whichever works for you.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Good to hear! Glad your expectations are being met, hows the Faxon shoot?
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• blackholegun
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            Good to hear! Glad your expectations are being met, hows the Faxon shoot?
                            I have only done cycling/ breakin sessions so far.
                            Still on the fence for what scope to purchase, oh and waiting for some decent weather

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2014

Have you sold the BA barrel yet? I might be interested.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

There is no reason to install adjustable gas on a RLGS 18" 6.5 Grendel, because there is hardly any plug dwell time, and port pressure is much lower than MLGS.

They run suppressed even without adjustable gas.

In Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks on pages 19-21, there is a basic discussion with diagrams about this.

18" RLGS is specifically called out for being prone to short-stroking malfunctions.

Another way to deal with it is lower carrier mass if you have that combo.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X