• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackholegun
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

buffer weight issue

What weight buffers are you guys finding to work well with the 6.5 grendel.
    Only reason I am asking as I built one that I gave to a friend of mine that was very easy to set up.
    My current build was not so easy, I took the buffer out and it only comes in at a little under 3 ozs, seems a little light.
    Do not know the weight on the one in the first build, both were purchased from AP though.
    I might have balled something up in the ordering, dont know.
    Both guns running SLR blocks.

Thanks, Greg
    Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive
  • ClutchAutomatic
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Got the standard jp silent captured spring and odin works adjustable tuned to my loads on a 24", it was really aggressive with the hornady black even at the lowest bolt hold open setting denting the case necks pretty bad.

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I'm using an Armaspec Stealth Captured Spring (H2 weight) with my 18" MLGS barrel and my action cycles well and I don't even notice the recoil. You can buy a kit of tungsten weights and experiment without buying a new buffer. There are however some barrels out there with gas ports which are larger than Alexander's spec and they may still need an adjustable gas block or gas key to tame them.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
        Both guns running SLR blocks.
        Greg,

If your SLR blocks are adjustable then that's all the tuning you need. You can have any weight buffer and spring in there. Dial back the gas until it just locks back on last round for that weight of buffer and spring, then one more click to be sure. A heavier buffer and BCG carries with it more momentum to load the next round so a H2 is a good compromise.

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ClutchAutomatic View Post
          Got the standard jp silent captured spring and odin works adjustable tuned to my loads on a 24", it was really aggressive with the hornady black even at the lowest bolt hold open setting denting the case necks pretty bad.
          Clutch, the length of the Grendel case results in the case mouth impacting the shell deflector and denting the mouth. 300 blackout rounds do the same thing. .223/5.56 cases are longer, so they get a dent in the side of the case. I don't think you can adjust that out with tuning buffers, recoil springs, or gas blocks. Trim a coil or two off of your ejector spring or just put a piece of fuzzy velcro on the shell deflector to stop the case mouth dents.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

+1, although what I am referring to is the 'aggressive' ejection which implies too much gas.

Drillboss is right about the case denting. I trimmed the length of coil that protrudes past the hole when uncompressed and this solved the denting problem.

Clutch, on the clock-face with 12 O'Clock being the where the barrel is pointing where do your cases eject?

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              +1, although what I am referring to is the 'aggressive' ejection which implies too much gas.

Drillboss is right about the case denting. I trimmed the length of coil that protrudes past the hole when uncompressed and this solved the denting problem.

Clutch, on the clock-face with 12 O'Clock being the where the barrel is pointing where do your cases eject?
              Yeah I might put some fuzzy velcro on the deflector, hard to tell which way it is ejecting because I am currently only shooting indoors where its smacking off the wall. With my handloads I have them dialed down to where the case mouth isn't getting dented and still shooting sub half moa 5 shot groups.

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

The dented case mouth really isn't that big of an issue, resizing opens it right back up. I just don't like the brass marks that it leave on my shell deflector. Trimming the spring will eliminate it.

Comment

• blackholegun
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

The first build I did was with an 18" Faxon gunner barrel and a gas system described as "mid".
                  I know that one had a standard mil spec buffer.
                  The current build has an 18 " BA fluted barrel with a rifle length gas system, finding out they are all unique.
                  Both were built on a carebine length buffer system.
                  I have a 223 wylde upper I am planning on running with this lower.
                  So I think I will keep the light buffer for that combo and purchase a heavier one for the 6.5.
                  H or H2, any suggestions would be appreciated
                  Thanks. Greg

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

The first build I did was with an 18" Faxon gunner barrel and a gas system described as "mid".
                    The current build has an 18 " BA fluted barrel with a rifle length gas system, finding out they are all unique.
                    So I think I will keep the light buffer for that combo and purchase a heavier one for the 6.5.
                    Thanks. Greg
                    Spikes T2 or Kaw valley, along with the JP centerless spring (carbine length). Smooths it out nicely, not a lot of money...
                    my $0.02.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Thanks. Greg
                      It all depends on port diameter and the load you're shooting, as well as the condition of the BCG, chamber, and recoil spring.

The Grendel was engineered to be a drop-in solution for existing AR15 lowers, but many barrels in the after-market have used different gas port diameters.

The Grendel gas ports actually seem to correspond with 5.56 gas port diameters at the different locations.

Buffer weights are primarily for countering carrier bounce on automatic-capable rifles, with a secondary function as rate reducers.

The buffer style we currently use was actually meant as a rate reducer when the Army switched to ball powders in the AR15 in the early 1960s, even though the rifle was engineered around tiny extruded powders like 8208M.

Depending on what load you shoot, your port pressure will be quite different, so it really helps to nail down what load range you primarily want to feed the system.

The extremes of that with 6.5 Grendel are 85gr on the low end for hand loads, followed by 90gr TNT factory ammo from Federal, with 130gr on the high end of factory ammo, and even heavier for hand loads.

Some ways to deal with this are adjustable gas. The easiest adjustable gas system I've seen so far is the Bootleg Adjustable Gas Carrier, which I have.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blackholegun
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        It all depends on port diameter and the load you're shooting, as well as the condition of the BCG, chamber, and recoil spring.

The Grendel was engineered to be a drop-in solution for existing AR15 lowers, but many barrels in the after-market have used different gas port diameters.

The Grendel gas ports actually seem to correspond with 5.56 gas port diameters at the different locations.

Buffer weights are primarily for countering carrier bounce on automatic-capable rifles, with a secondary function as rate reducers.

The buffer style we currently use was actually meant as a rate reducer when the Army switched to ball powders in the AR15 in the early 1960s, even though the rifle was engineered around tiny extruded powders like 8208M.

Depending on what load you shoot, your port pressure will be quite different, so it really helps to nail down what load range you primarily want to feed the system.

The extremes of that with 6.5 Grendel are 85gr on the low end for hand loads, followed by 90gr TNT factory ammo from Federal, with 130gr on the high end of factory ammo, and even heavier for hand loads.

Some ways to deal with this are adjustable gas. The easiest adjustable gas system I've seen so far is the Bootleg Adjustable Gas Carrier, which I have.
                        I am running SLR adjustable gas blocks on all of my builds, 2 6.5 grendel's and one 6.5 Creedmoor.
                        My current build is a little finicky it seems, all of the parts are new.
                        AP BCG
                        AP UPPER AND LOOWER
                        BA 18" FLUTED BARREL Rifle length gas
                        ELANDER 10 ROUND MAGS
                        Just a fussy combo I guess.
                        Tried shooting it again last and had a couple FTF.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

If your getting failure to feed try putting a radius on the ejector. On larger case heads like the 6.5 Grendel the square edge on the ejector can impede the case head from seating in the face of the bolt and causing a failure to feed. The bullet nose may fail to go from the mag and up the feed ramps stopping prior to completely seating in the chamber. Putting a radius on the edge of the ejector can’t hurt and is worth trying if your having failure to feed.

TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

Here is a thread where a 6.5 Grendel shooter was experiencing failure to feed which might be worth reading.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.
                          Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-08-2018, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I am running SLR adjustable gas blocks on all of my builds, 2 6.5 grendel's and one 6.5 Creedmoor.
                            My current build is a little finicky it seems, all of the parts are new.
                            AP BCG
                            AP UPPER AND LOOWER
                            BA 18" FLUTED BARREL Rifle length gas
                            ELANDER 10 ROUND MAGS
                            Just a fussy combo I guess.
                            Tried shooting it again last and had a couple FTF.
                            What ammo?

18" RLGS runs best with slow-burning powders and heavier bullets, at least 120gr or more.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blackholegun
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2017

American Eagle 120 grain open tip match, it is the only round I can purchase locally.
                              I do not have the equipment to do handloads.
                              I did order a Spikes T2 buffer, will have to see if that helps

Comment

Working...
                              X