• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

More Federal Fusion 120 gr. Pig Action

Okay, it was a small pig, but right now I am not getting my choice of sizes of pigs on which to test Federal's MSR Fusion 120 gr. ammo. It seems to perform as advertised based on what I have seen so far. I have yet to recover a bullet, however.

Got do do a thermal retest of looking at blood trails. Previously, I had caught the spray from a shot on the side of an old Suburban. Some folks scoffed at the validity of noting that blood cools rapidly when it is on a metal surface. While I can't disagree with the critique regarding the appropriateness of the surface (metal), I thought this video shows a realistic cooling of a blood trail on the ground, particularly from a blood dump via a heart shot. Inside of a minute the blood trail has almost completely cooled. I would have been hard pressed to get to the shot location that quickly to find the blood trail had I needed to track the hog, LOL. Fortunately, she did not go far.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Rugerfan.64
    Warrior
    • May 2014

These Fusions look promising DNS. Always thought they would do well on game. Tried some Deep Curls a few years back out of a 25-06, they grouped well but never had the chance to try them on game. I think this is a reiteration on the Deep Curl? Great shot and great video.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I don't honestly know. I have read some of the debate online about this. Some people claim they are the same. Others say they perform differently.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Another excellent video. Thank you for sharing.

I'm using Fusion's in my 338 Federal, but I've only shot targets with them so far.
        Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

DNS,
          Another great vid and commentary.

Question, do the Fusions have the same point of impact as the SST's you normally use? Just a question.

SY

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Very nice, I realize it's a fairly small sample size but it would appear they seem to be less destructive than the 123 SST. That would be good for meat.
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

That was a great clearing you found to make the shot. Nicely done.

You're at the forefront of 21st Century Hunting.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Such great testing hard to duplicate anywhere else. Really appreciate all your efforts. I'd, honestly, be a little disappointed if you DID actually manage to eradicate all those vermin.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
                  DNS,
                  Question, do the Fusions have the same point of impact as the SST's you normally use? Just a question.

SY
                  No, not quite, but it wasn't far off. It was a bit over 1" low and left from where my SST was zeroed from my rifle. Note that the Fusion has a much lower BC as well along with a bit more velocity. So things will continue to deviate more with distance.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  You're at the forefront of 21st Century Hunting.
                  We are doomed.

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  Such great testing hard to duplicate anywhere else. Really appreciate all your efforts. I'd, honestly, be a little disappointed if you DID actually manage to eradicate all those vermin.
                  Thanks, but there are plenty more outside of the fence! We drove around the property for 6 hours (800 acres inside the fence) in a UTV, looking for live hogs and/or some evidence of rooting damage and only found a couple small area. The idea was to get into some of the more remote areas than I normally go and we did, but it didn't prove fruitful.

Comment

• sierracharlie338
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2018

Nicely done. Ive killed several animals with the fusion rounds (other calibers) and it always performs well for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X