Give me the lowdown on this company, do they hold up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaska_guy
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Give me the lowdown on this company, do they hold up?

Well, I am in the market for a new optic in the standard 3x9 BDC reticle. Vortex scopes are mainly what sit on my rifles, after a few bad experiences with eye relief and dusk hunting i am sad to say I am giving up on them. Leupold VX3 in the dusk plain destroys my vortex scopes. I hate to say that as I have been a Vortex owner/fan since before they became the household name they are. Their glass quality isn't bad, but until you step up to the Viper HS series they just aren't all that impressive for the price point.

With that being said I looked at 5 different brand scopes today including Vortex because deep down I really want to stay loyal.

The brand names were Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, and Styrka. (That's all my local shop carried down the road when I was getting groceries)

I was blown away by the Styrka in their S3 3x9 with their duplex reticle. Their claimed 4" of eye relief was true, unlike some other companies claimed eye relief. Their glass is super sharp and crisp to the edges with ZERO black lines on the outside. You can move your head quiet a bit before you start seeing the shading effect by not being properly aligned. I couldn't believe the quality of the glass and the eye relief. I have ZERO experience with how they hold up, but I grabbed their pamphlet and they will return your scope ZERO questions asked without filing out registration paperwork. This means the warranty transfers!

I compared the Styrka S3 3x9-40 to a couple different Leupolds (VX2,VX3,VX3i and Mark4) because that's what I was planning on purchasing when I walked in the store due to my last hunting experience when I couldn't make out a caribou at 100 yards and my father in laws Leopold VX3 was able to see it super clear in the dusk.

I kept going back and forth between the VX3i 3x9 CDS and the styrka and I will be damned if they styrka was better all around. I honestly thought my brain was playing tricks on me. I walked out of the store without the Styrka because I have never heard of them and I don't like taking a gamble on no name stuff. I have done that in the past and its almost always burned me when it comes to optics. I did have a chance to look at the Styrka s5 in the 4.5-14x and it was about on par with the VX3. The eye relief on the S5 4.5-14x was no where near as good as the S3 series in the 3x9, glass wise they seemed identical. I also looked through their styrka s5 series in the 1.75-5 AR type optic and I would say it was on par with the leupold glass.

To give you an idea, I own Swaro Binos, my old man has Nightforce scopes, my brother in law only wears ziess, my father in law only owns VX3's, so I am very familiar with good glass properties and what I want in a scope. I personally only own Vortex, Previously I only owned Burris high end scopes and after having to send them back multiple times I finally made the switch to Vortex.

Sorry for the long winded post.... What I came here to ask, does anyone have first hand experience with this glass/company? Their 3x9 series is only $220 at my local store, I was comparing $400+ glass and I swear my eyes chose the Styrka every time. What am I missing?!?!
  • 762n40
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

I dont have any experience with the styrka brand, but I go through this same seneriao many times through the years looking for the right scope. I seem to always go back to the same brand Leupold, and one of the reasons is weight. Allot of scopes weight in the 20 oz range, Leupolds can be found in the 12 to 16 oz area, and that appeals to me very much. Take a look at the leupold VX-R 2-7x33 its in the 12 oz weight range, comes in a few different reticles, and you can even get P5 turrets on them through the custom shop, if desired. Theres some lightweight scope mounts out there to be had also. leupold has a decent warrenty too, and there very fast at turn around time. Just my take on scopes...

Comment

• 6.5_fanatic
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2017

You can find very good deals on vx1 and vx2 closeouts right now. I just ordered a vx1 3-9x40 with the lr duplex for $199 free shipping from north40 outfitters.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

from what i have read styrka's parent company has been around for a while, but mainly does other otpics thing.
        when is searched for who the parent company is no hits come up with an actual name

but celestron was in the results, so maybe its them? or thier parent?
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

There is also a discussion at Savage Shooters that has additional comments: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...o-they-hold-up

I noticed that the thread titles are identical? Same for the OP? Same poster — different handles?
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Same Stryka employee.

But seriously (for anyone who wants an answer), a $220 scope equaling a $400 scope in glass means the rest of the package is lacking:

Turrets (feel and repeatability)
            Tube (durability, finish)
            Reticle (features)
            Focus
            Parallax
            Erector (durability).
            Last edited by PVBoom; 02-07-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I made 3 consecutive hits on this 12" popper at around 560yds well after the sun went down, witnessed. You can tell the flash auto-triggered in the photo because it was dark.

The sun was long-gone below the mountains behind us in the West.

Here's what it looked like in the morning, when we repeated the same cold turkey shot challenge.

Optic was my Vortex Viper PST FFP MRAD 2.5-10x32 1st Gen. Spotting scope is Vortex Nomad.

If you want low light performance, reliability, repeatability, and semi-auto durability, you are going to pay.

For a more affordable hunting scope with low light performance, look at the Vortex Viper HS with XD glass or Leupold Mark AR Mod 1, or VX-2. Plan to spend at least $350-$400.

After all I've seen with cheap scopes, I have a very hard time trusting anything below that price point, especially an unheard of name, when looking at mounting on a gas gun.

Gas guns beat the snot out of optics.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Lifetime Warranty and free annual cleanings = even more evidence they probably suck.
                What's with all these new punk upstart companies making new stuff, anyway?

Read some reviews. The downside seems to be weight. I say buy it and review it for us.
                "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I read where the manufacturers of camera lenses have had to branch out into other markets since the camera industry is dying out. With advent of better cameras in smart phones and tablets the sales of lenses to the camera industry has declined. The lense manufacturers are now selling lenses for the firearms industry, range finders, spotting scopes and rifle scopes.

Many of the lense manufacturers were in Asia/Pacific rim and to stay in business they had to diversify.

Comment

• alaska_guy
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2018

Ok guys, I took the plunge and bought one for reviewing sake. I am not an employee, I live in Alaska.... I am just tired of my Vortex scopes. The eye relief sucks, if you move left to right or up and down and are not 100% centered there is a huge black ring around the outside edge. I have been a vortex fanboy for quiet some time. I have multiple kills with my ruger precision and vortex scope.

I looked at burris scopes, leupold, nikon, vortex (again) and none seemed to give me what I needed... Clarity/eye relief. I need to get my battery to charge before I can do a proper review. But for the price point, if this scope tracks it blows away the competition diamondback series in every aspect.

I did post on a few forums because I have never heard of this brand before and wanted to do my diligence to see if they were crap. So far from my research I haven't found a negative review and their facebook and all the other reviews seemed positive. For $223 I figured I could gamble. I will tell you, they ARE heavy. Especially compared to leupold. But im a big guy and weight is a non issue for me. I prefer it for stability.
                    Last edited by alaska_guy; 02-08-2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• mdram
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2016

chuckhawks did a review in 2016

if you are worried about eye relief then this is the part you should read
                      The eye box is relatively small. Keep your eye centered behind the scope or it will "wink" at you. The eye relief, specified as 3.0-3.46 inches, is also tight, especially for eyeglass wearers. I would suggest using this scope on rifles chambered for calibers with light to medium recoil (not exceeding about 20 ft. lbs.). The bottom line is that eye position is fairly critical when you use this scope.
                      just some targets for printing
                      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Good man! Way to lean into the strike zone, take one for the team! (And get it before the price balloons.)

I sourced my favorite AR scope, an HL 1-8x HL CMR8, on a whim at a gun show for just less than $300 2 years ago when everyone was running 1-4x scopes. It was so new, there were no reviews out yet. Great scope for that price. They're going for 2.5x my price now. It's also heavy for its size, but it's FFP and those often do come with a weight penalty.
                        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by alaska_guy View Post
                          Ok guys, I took the plunge and bought one for reviewing sake. I am not an employee, I live in Alaska.... I am just tired of my Vortex scopes. The eye relief sucks, if you move left to right or up and down and are not 100% centered there is a huge black ring around the outside edge. I have been a vortex fanboy for quiet some time. I have multiple kills with my ruger precision and vortex scope.

I looked at burris scopes, leupold, nikon, vortex (again) and none seemed to give me what I needed... Clarity/eye relief. I need to get my battery to charge before I can do a proper review. But for the price point, if this scope tracks it blows away the competition diamondback series in every aspect.

I did post on a few forums because I have never heard of this brand before and wanted to do my diligence to see if they were crap. So far from my research I haven't found a negative review and their facebook and all the other reviews seemed positive. For $223 I figured I could gamble. I will tell you, they ARE heavy. Especially compared to leupold. But im a big guy and weight is a non issue for me. I prefer it for stability.
                          That may be true on the Crossfire and Diamondback entry-level scopes, but not Viper and up.

Vipers and Viper PSTs have very forgiving eye relief and exit pupils with clear enough glass for me to be able to shoot in almost no-light conditions and still get 1st-round hits on 12" plates at 3x the distance most people would ever take a shot on an animal.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• alaska_guy
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                            Same Stryka employee.

But seriously (for anyone who wants an answer), a $220 scope equaling a $400 scope in glass means the rest of the package is lacking:

Turrets (feel and repeatability)
                            Tube (durability, finish)
                            Reticle (features)
                            Focus
                            Parallax
                            Erector (durability).
                            I am not an employee... I created a video and it is uploading to youtube now. If you doubt my credibility as a human being that's up to you. I have been active on the 1911addicts.com forum for quite some time and have had a gun of mine that I did some gun smithing on display over there for a while on their main feed. https://www.1911addicts.com/?page=3 Scroll down and you will see my screen name and the black Ruger 1911 I modified. I have zero interest in providing false information about products. I just figured if this new company has something to offer, why not share it? It could be total crap if the mechanics don't function properly, I can't comment personally on the function as I have zero experience and I was reaching out to other gun communities that I am apart of to see if anyone had experience with them first hand.

Originally posted by JASmith

There is also a discussion at Savage Shooters that has additional comments: [url
                            http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...o-they-hold-up[/url]
                            I am also a member on weatherby.dk and savage shooters as 1983weatherby. I use tappatalk and certian forums use that name. Check my credibility there. You will see in both places I have been active for a while and built a few rifles.

Hopefully that clears things up, here is my review, take it for what you will. My main concern is the mechanics in this scope wont last.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Nice review. Thanks for that. Look forward to the shooting review.

Comment

Working...
                              X