• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kcb38 View Post
    I finally got some decent glass mounted and I'm hoping to put some rounds downrange this weekend. I'm not addressing any concerns in particular with the break in but I'm of the mindset that if there's any benefit, then it's worth my time. If not, it can't hurt. I want to get as much accuracy as I can out of the parts I have so I've really tried to pay attention to the details on this build. I figure a proper break in is the final step in that process.
    kcb:

If you bought a quality barrel and it needs such a 'break in' to shoot well, it isn't a quality barrel.

If you bought a cheap barrel and expect it to shoot like a quality barrel if you use some sort of break in process, you are wasting your time and will end up with a cheap barrel that shoots no better than before you 'broke in the barrel'.

I don't think the Wolf ammo will do any damage to your barrel. I also don't think it will improve anything. You go cheap on a barrel and your chances increase that it won't do well past about 200 yards.

If you want to save some money, buy a tub of JB bore paste and use it in the barrel as written in their directions. Will take ten minutes and you are done.

LR55

Comment

• kcb38
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

It's a Ballistics Advantage barrel. Not junk but not a high end hand lapped barrel either. I don't expect a break in procedure to increase the accuracy potential of the barrel, but I don't want to give up any accuracy unnecessarily either. Some folks swear by the break in, some folks say it's a waste of time. The way I figure, it can't hurt as long as I don't get crazy with abrasives or solvents. I'll clean the barrel at home, head to the range, shoot 10 rounds or so, cleaning in between, then a few groups of 3, cleaning in between, and then see what the patches look like and proceed from there. If nothing else I'll get some trigger time with the new rifle and get the scope roughed in.
      - Kirk -

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

...And get proficient at cleaning.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

It's a Ballistics Advantage barrel. Not junk but not a high end hand lapped barrel either. I don't expect a break in procedure to increase the accuracy potential of the barrel, but I don't want to give up any accuracy unnecessarily either. Some folks swear by the break in, some folks say it's a waste of time. The way I figure, it can't hurt as long as I don't get crazy with abrasives or solvents. I'll clean the barrel at home, head to the range, shoot 10 rounds or so, cleaning in between, then a few groups of 3, cleaning in between, and then see what the patches look like and proceed from there. If nothing else I'll get some trigger time with the new rifle and get the scope roughed in.
          kcb:

Roger.

May want to get a tub of JB anyway. It is pretty good stuff and you will use it periodically. I would JB a barrel every thousand rounds or so and I do believe it worked very well with performance.

One of the various 'break in' procedures used JB after the five and ten shot strings.

LR55

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

There's no break in, just shoot it. If accuracy starts to change, clean it. Enjoy the extra time you have.

Comment

Working...
            X