• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fat_46
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Another new guy from MN

Howdy all! Looks like I'll be getting an unknown maker 6.5G upper tomorrow. I'm hoping it will end up as my daughter's deer rig, but we'll need to see what kind of accuracy I can wring out of it. Now to find brass and dies...
  • IescapedCali
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Welcome, from Nevada. What’s the story behind the unknown upper? Tell us about yourself.

Comment

• Fat_46
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2018

So I traded a well used Czech VZ24 Mauser for this upper and 500 rounds of Wolf military classic ammo. It has a keymod rail that will be going in the parts bin. The receiver is an ATI, which may or may not be a bad thing. It does mate up to my DPMS lower receiver nearly perfectly. Barrel is a Bear Creek I believe, medium profile and 18" in length. Function testing at the range will happen this weekend. Hoping this will act as a deer rifle/suppressor host for my daughter.

As for me I'm a lifelong outdoorsman. I was bitten by the prairie dog bug a few decades ago and built up my collection centered around really heavy, long barreled bolt actions. I reload dang near every round I fire for handgun and rifle. My nasty weather deer rifle is an Armalite AR-10, and on fair weather days I use either a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede or a Rem 700 BDL in 280. On the odd occasion I'll break out a Savage 300 in 300 Savage, just because I can!

By trade I'm an IT geek turned manager. Other than that I'm pretty boring!

There's a ton of knowledge on this board, and I'm just trying to sponge up what I can!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Fat_46, I always wanted a 6.5 Swede but ended up with AR-15’s in 6.5 Grendel. I never found the right buy for a 6.5 Swede in my rural area but got bit hard by the AR-15 addiction. Be careful 6.5 Grendels have a way of multiplying.

Comment

• Sputnik
          Warrior
          • May 2013

Welcome to the Horde. MN members seem to be growing fast. I am a MN native from Little Falls, but retired in Jacksonville NC from the USMC. I did go hunting in the Brainerd area last Fall; great time great success. The BCA barrels and uppers are making a splash. I have two BCA uppers, one a 223 Wylde and the other a Grendel. I love them both. The Wylde upper did not like American Eagle ammo, but loved the Outback ammo. The Grendel takes my reloads in my "go to" powdered ammo nicely. Since you reload, you should be able to do well. The top three powders seems to be 8208 XBR, CFE-223, and AR Comp. There is a lot of ammo data in the Preferred Loads Thread. Good Luck, and again Welcome!

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome in F 46, We hope you enjoy your time spent upon the forum.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 02-12-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Welsome to the Clan, Fat_46, from the Great Nation of Texas! You are off to a great start, but proceed with caution! Grendels are habit forming and tend to be extremely prolific ( bet you can't have just one! ). You did not mention daughter's age, my older grandson loves to shoot mine. Now working on younger grandson.

Comment

• Eric
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2016

Welcome from MN as well!

Comment

• BR549R
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

Hello from the great state of Georgia

Hello from the great state of Georgia!!!

Thanks for taking your time to help the uninformed make better choices. Thanks to this forum and it's members,
                  I am the proud new owner of a 6.5 Grendel. Life is good! I will do my best to repay your community as my path of discovery
                  allows.

I am not always this serious
                  BR549R
                  Last edited by BR549R; 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM. Reason: wrong location.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

If you reload for all your rifles, look at the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks we put together.

You won't find a caliber-specific set of resources like them.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X