Almost MOA, chopped BCA barreled pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Almost MOA, chopped BCA barreled pistol.

5 shots 100yrds. 2-7x scope Hornady edl. No crown yet.
    Screenshot_20180208-201843-1125x2000-843x1500.png
    Shoulda stopped at three
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

nice.... show off the rig too.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

MVIMG_20180208_213944-1500x1125.jpg

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

If it's shooting that well with a bridged optic, what will it do with a one-piece base?

Your mounts are bridging the scope between the upper and the handguard, which can and usually will affect repeatability.

I recommend a one-piece base for the AR15, a good US-made one.

What's the barrel length?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Keef
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

I know its not ideal, but that was the only way to get the eye relief I needed. Its just a centerpoint scope from walmart I've had for a few years. This weekend time permitting I'll put my Leupold VX6 with a proper one piece mount on it. Not sure on exact length, cut it so I would clear the 12"handguard. I just did this quick and dirty after work yesterday. It usually wears a red dot to keep the weight down. I also shot a 10shot wolf group yesterday. 5 were touching the other 5 spread out to make it about 2.5moa. I'll load a pick up when I get home.

Comment

• Keef
            Warrior
            • Jun 2017

10 shots wolf 100g
            Screenshot_20180210-095648-843x1500.png

Comment

• alaska_guy
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

I would be VERY happy with that considering its not even crowned yet!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

What app are you using for your group analysis?
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Keef
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2017

Range Buddy. I downloaded a few and this was the only one I could get working.

Comment

• Keef
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

I tried putting the VX6 on it but couldn't get my check weld correct, so I didn't bother taking it out. On my rifle I had to build up the stock to get a reliable/comfortable weld. it sits alot higher that my cheap 2-7. I have gone back to the red dot, feels right for a pistol. Interesting note, I set it up for 50yrds POA/POI and its back on POA/POI at 100yrds. What does that mean for drop at 200? I don't know and I'm hoping I'll have the time to find out this weekend. Planing to hang some steel around a field and shoot at it from one of my tree stands.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Keef the reason your zero from 50 yards to 100 yards is close is because of the diameter of the red dot in your sight. When I used the Hornady Ballistic Calculator with the sight 2.5” over the bore with a bullet at 2225 FPS BC .460 zeroed at 100 yards the impact at 50 yards is .3” low. Many red dot sight use 2 MOA or 4 MOA Dot easly cover the point of impact at 50 yards or 100 yards. It is difficult to get percise aiming with a red dot sight compared to most magnified optics.

Using the calculator with a 100 grain bullet with BC of .40 with velocity of 2375 with a 50 yard zero (trying to approximate Wolf steel) your .8” low at 100 yards and 3.3” low at 200 yards.

Even using lower velocities or different ammunition you should be with 5”-8” low at the most at 200 yards with using a 50 or 100 yard zero. You should be able to get on target at 200 yards with your red dot, if anything you might need to hold a little high.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-21-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Keef
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2017

Makes sense.

After work I jogged to my closest field with a tree stand, .4 of a mile thru woods and set up a 8" steel at far side, 236yrds away. Climbed up in stand a little winded. At first i was aiming a little high and missing, then I decided to just aim at target(duh)and hit 4 in a row to finish up. Felt good after missing the first 6. Its a 2moa red dot and the farthest ive tried shooting without a scope. Was shooting wolf 100g. Going to set up a 4 incher and see what I can do with it, but I dont think I would have been able to see it tonight because the sun was already low and blocked by trees on shooting side. Not bad for a pistol!

I need to shoot some more at 100yrds as the might be POI might be alittle high at that distance but not really enough to matter to anything but targets.

Comment

Working...
                        X