• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
    Call me crazy but 6.5G isn't exactly what I consider a "plinking" cartridge. If turning money into sound is your goal, you could do it for even less with the same results using a different chambering.

Where did all the Wolf ammo go? Who cares.
    exactly..... if I am blasting just to blast or plink I have ARs, AKS, or 22s for that.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• hill37
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Where I live 200yds is long range. The wolf upper should shoot minute of deer with good ammo. The Wolf steel will let me get needed practice time cheaply.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

There is a reason Bill A was interested enough in the Wolf steel cased ammo to be directly involved with them to help create and get it marketed in the US. The guys that shoot steel Grendel aren't stupid. Some are novice, sure, but the benefit is that the practice and experience from firing that thousand rounds of steel cased ammo at $220 bucks is the skills gained. Those skills for any shooter are worth more than 100 quality barrels in whatever world you live in.

I found myself coming to dislike my own dwindling pile of the Wolf steel after reading some of the posts in threads like this one on several boards. I've recently re-kindled the fire to load it up and go shooting with it again.

I don't honestly understand the vigor with which some chastise the steel cased ammo. It's not match grade stuff, and folks who buy it thinking it will turn out to be match grade learn quickly that doing so was an ill-informed and poorly researched buy. That's not the fault of the ammo. Nor is it much of a loss, considering the price point at which it sells.

This steel stuff has been proven, by many shooters, to function well enough to be useful for training and enjoyment at 200 yards or less in many different rifles, in every caliber it's available in. Wolf is far from crap ammo. It has a purpose, and performs it admirably.

I for one bought over a thousand rounds of the stuff, and my son and I have eaten over half of it in some of my past builds. Will I use it in my Larue? Probably not. My trunk build? Yessir!, with my own enhanced sense of vigor.

We may inadvertently do an injustice to the new shooters out there who are just starting out on the Grendel trail, and let's be honest we are legion. There is no "bad" for folks to be using their money wisely in gaining the skills that actually sitting behind a rifle and firing 1K rounds of any kind will impart, especially when they may not have the ammo budget of an ammo fulfillment contract at their disposal.

I personally have hit pop cans on fence posts at 150+ yards and had a blast doing it. I know it's capable, even if it is slightly less probable.

What I find most interesting, is that I can shoot a complete Wolf steel Grendel round for less than I can buy most .264 projectiles alone. Funny enough, it's just as much fun to shoot as any of the rounds I have reloaded, and even more so than the other factory loads - if only because I don't feel the dollar bills flying out of the muzzle, making groups that are only slightly smaller.

Why can't Grendel be a plinking caliber? At .25/per (or less) to my door, that's exactly what I'd call it.

By the way, compare the price for a thousand Wolf to the cheapest Hornady factory loading, the American Gunner. Even at $700/1000 plus shipping, that Wolf at $250/1000 to my door buys me a new $450 barrel. If you compare it to Federal 120s, or their FGMM well, I just bought myself a new Shilen barrel and built an amazing upper around it; every time I "plink" a thousand rounds.

Dismiss it if you will, as for me - SG ammo expects a "large" shipment by the end of the month. By large (they got a pallet in last week, the guy that emailed me called that a "really small batch")...
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• centerfire
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post

Why can't Grendel be a plinking caliber? At .25/per (or less) to my door, that's exactly what I'd call it.

By the way, compare the price for a thousand Wolf to the cheapest Hornady factory loading, the American Gunner. Even at $700/1000 plus shipping, that Wolf at $250/1000 to my door buys me a new $450 barrel. If you compare it to Federal 120s, or their FGMM well, I just bought myself a new Shilen barrel and built an amazing upper around it; every time I "plink" a thousand rounds.

Dismiss it if you will, as for me - SG ammo expects a "large" shipment by the end of the month. By large (they got a pallet in last week, the guy that emailed me called that a "really small batch")...
          The $700 Hornady ammo comes with $400 of brass. The Wolf ammo just comes with poor performance and accelerated wear.

The low cost Wolf draws in budget shooters and gives the cartridge staying power, that's about it.

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            There is a reason Bill A was interested enough in the Wolf steel cased ammo to be directly involved with them to help create and get it marketed in the US. The guys that shoot steel Grendel aren't stupid. Some are novice, sure, but the benefit is that the practice and experience from firing that thousand rounds of steel cased ammo at $220 bucks is the skills gained. Those skills for any shooter are worth more than 100 quality barrels in whatever world you live in.

I found myself coming to dislike my own dwindling pile of the Wolf steel after reading some of the posts in threads like this one on several boards. I've recently re-kindled the fire to load it up and go shooting with it again.

I don't honestly understand the vigor with which some chastise the steel cased ammo. It's not match grade stuff, and folks who buy it thinking it will turn out to be match grade learn quickly that doing so was an ill-informed and poorly researched buy. That's not the fault of the ammo. Nor is it much of a loss, considering the price point at which it sells.

This steel stuff has been proven, by many shooters, to function well enough to be useful for training and enjoyment at 200 yards or less in many different rifles, in every caliber it's available in. Wolf is far from crap ammo. It has a purpose, and performs it admirably.

I for one bought over a thousand rounds of the stuff, and my son and I have eaten over half of it in some of my past builds. Will I use it in my Larue? Probably not. My trunk build? Yessir!, with my own enhanced sense of vigor.

We may inadvertently do an injustice to the new shooters out there who are just starting out on the Grendel trail, and let's be honest we are legion. There is no "bad" for folks to be using their money wisely in gaining the skills that actually sitting behind a rifle and firing 1K rounds of any kind will impart, especially when they may not have the ammo budget of an ammo fulfillment contract at their disposal.

I personally have hit pop cans on fence posts at 150+ yards and had a blast doing it. I know it's capable, even if it is slightly less probable.

What I find most interesting, is that I can shoot a complete Wolf steel Grendel round for less than I can buy most .264 projectiles alone. Funny enough, it's just as much fun to shoot as any of the rounds I have reloaded, and even more so than the other factory loads - if only because I don't feel the dollar bills flying out of the muzzle, making groups that are only slightly smaller.

+1

I called Alexander Arms one day and kept asking questions until they put me on hold. Then a guy came on and said "this is Bill Alexander". The next 30 minutes or so was one of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had. I told him I had bought 500 rounds Wolf steel case, and his reply was "you're going to have fun with that". And that's what it's about, having fun. My AA barrel shoots the stuff pretty darn well, about 1.25 MOA.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
              And that's what it's about, having fun.
              Exactly. I am an inveterate and unapologetic blaster. Got a video of my kid out in the woods doing a mag dump into some water. Grin on his face after the bolt locked back is priceless.

It's like sometimes you just floor it taking off from a stop sign or something like that. Why? I don't know. Life is short. Have fun.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

If they would put the proper sized bullet in it, even if it wore the barrel out twice as fast, then I would be happy. Hard to get good practice in when you can't tell if it's you or the cartridge that can't keep the groups together. Then bad habits develop.

My intended use of the 6.5 Grendel is for target shooting out to 1k yards.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Keef
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post

It's like those $80 Bear Creek barrels. There's a market for this stuff.
                    It seems like BCA is held to a higher standard than expensive barrels. When the expensive ones shoot bad its flyers caused by the shooter, when BCA doesn't hold MOA its because its a cheap barrel.... I've always just been a hunter not a precision shooter, but I'm slowly changing....so maybe my opinion will change!

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

SG Ammo has it in stock gents..... I will pass but, wanted to see if others needed some.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• SharpD0g
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2018

I'm with you Tex, they can get me one as well. I'm more for the minute-of-deer accuracy at 75-150 yds, maybe 200 or a little more max. And on a very constrained budget so cheaper is definitely better. Maybe I will eventually get a long range shooter but that's far down the wish list after a new roof on the house.
                        Last edited by SharpD0g; 02-22-2018, 10:16 PM. Reason: kant spel

Comment

Working...
                        X