• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • no cigar
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2015

Where has all the Wolf Steel Case gone?

Pardon me for living under a rock but over the last few months, there is absolutely no stock on the Wolf Steel Case ammo. I see today Cabela's has it for a paltry $11 a box.

What gives?
  • ToeheadAR
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

I use ammoseek.com to look...found this for $.25/round.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

SG had some earlier this week as well, just be on the notify list.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

im sure it comes in in batches and the grendel is gaining in popularity so supply can become an issue.....
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

When I got my email notification earlier this week that it was back in stock at SGAmmo.com I snatched up a case; due this coming Monday. Checked two days later and was out of stock again. Snooze you looze, bros!
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

The brown truck brought my 43.6 lb box an hour ago. Two cases of W. steel and ten boxes of H. black.
            The mail man also dropped off a brown box from John........thanks sir.....

When you get that notification-----run, don't walk to the keyboard

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Someone wake me when they start using a .264 bullet please.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Guys:

You understand that the Wolf bullet is a bit undersized? Enough to make a difference. Not sure it is such a good deal.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

For a tactical carbine course with shooting from 0 to 100y, mostly at or under 50 on a 500 round count day, then yes, worth it. COM hits is all you are looking for.

Beyond that....junk ammo unless you were bored (and regretted buying a case) and decide to make some Moscow Match.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Cheap plinking ammo for a fun day of blasting things with buddies and newbies.
                    Having cheap ammo available makes a cartridge more popular. How is that be a bad thing?
                    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

IMO it takes away from all that is great about the Grendel. Hard hitting, long range, accurate (with the right barrel) in an AR15 package. Give a newb an AR15 and a bunch of Wolf ammo, then it's just a noise maker that can't hit a Pdog target past 150. Can buy an AK for that, and much cheaper.

I would rather promote an AR15 that is spooky effective at 1k on targets, and 700ish on up to medium 4 legged critters (shot placement).
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        IMO it takes away from all that is great about the Grendel. Hard hitting, long range, accurate (with the right barrel) in an AR15 package. Give a newb an AR15 and a bunch of Wolf ammo, then it's just a noise maker that can't hit a Pdog target past 150. Can buy an AK for that, and much cheaper.

I would rather promote an AR15 that is spooky effective at 1k on targets, and 700ish on up to medium 4 legged critters (shot placement).
                        Do that. Promote it.
                        I fail to see how cheap ammo takes anything away from that at all. "It's a great round, but there's a dark side: there's cheap plinking ammo for it.." Is that the argument?
                        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

If Wolf would put a proper sized bullet in that case, then the ammo would be 1.5 MOA out of a rack grade barrel. Then we are talking. Right now out of a top end barrel (18" Barlitien), it's 1.5 moa, when the next series of shots with Factory Hornady ammo prints a .6".

Don't get me wrong, I like that there is super cheap ammo for it, just put the right sized bullet in it.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                            If Wolf would put a proper sized bullet in that case, then the ammo would be 1.5 MOA out of a rack grade barrel. Then we are talking. Right now out of a top end barrel (18" Barlitien), it's 1.5 moa, when the next series of shots with Factory Hornady ammo prints a .6".

Don't get me wrong, I like that there is super cheap ammo for it, just put the right sized bullet in it.
                            I haven't seen a Wolf bullet disassembled. The cheap price may come from the bullet's construction. What's the the metal beneath the copper coating? Steel? Probably don't want that core to be any bigger. And completely re-engineering the construction of the bullet will probably raise the price. Maybe a thicker copper coating...?
                            Last edited by Tex Nomex; 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

It the Wolf Steel case 6.5 Grendel ammo bad too shoot out of some barrels?
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X