• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
    It the Wolf Steel case 6.5 Grendel ammo bad too shoot out of some barrels?
    In the long run, it's bad to shoot out of any barrel. Long Run = north of 5k rounds.

The whole gripe with those of us who want as near surgical precision that one can achieve with the caliber in a gas gun is that the bullet is not .264 (6.5mm) but .262. Yes that .002 makes a difference. There is also a large variance in neck tension (this I found out after processing 700+ rounds in my Moscow Match experiment). Those two features alone make for very inconsistent shooting ammo. I have not tried to shoot groups with it at range, but I would bet that you would be pushing 5 MOA out of a quality barrel past 300 yards when the velocity variance starts to show. That is into the next zip code when you are used to smacking a 4" plate at that range.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Harpoon1
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Guys:

You understand that the Wolf bullet is a bit undersized? Enough to make a difference. Not sure it is such a good deal.

LR55
      I hear you but, aren't barrels consumables? At $250 for 1000 rounds of Wolf vs what, $8-900+ for the "good stuff"? Seems like a no brainer. You could buy a new barrel every thousand rounds and still be ahead.

I'll concede it's not a completely apples to apples comparison with regard to accuracy, and getting reusable brass with one and not the other. And I probably wouldn't shove it down a "premium" grade tack driver but........just a regular, run of the mill, off the rack sewer pipe? Why not?
      Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-10-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

.....In the long run, it's bad to shoot out of any barrel. Long Run = north of 5k rounds.....
        Could you elaborate some?

Are you hanging your hat on the infamous "LuckyGunner" mag dump video?

Seriously.......if its ok below 5K? What happens "north of" that? AK's shoot 10's of thousands, upon 10's of thousands, through their barrels without any problems. Yes, they're chrome lined but nitriding/meloniting/whatever is supposed to be at least as good. If AK's can do it, why can't an AR?

Not trying to be argumentative dude, just trying to understand what Im missing?

TIA.

Comment

• Djgrendel
          Warrior
          • Feb 2016

I see it fairly often. Just don't expect it to last long. Don't worry tho, I'm not buying it up. It's not worth the 5 dollars a box to me. It shoots when I pull the trigger but is nowhere close to my zero in 3 different rifles. Unless I built a steel case specific upper I have no need for the steel case ammo. I do think it's pretty awesome tho, that the grendel public has access to cheap steel fodder.
          Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Tex Nomex
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I thought the Wolf measured out to .263"(?)
            Plink it and have fun.
            Stock it for SHTF because it's built to penetrate.
            It's just an AR. If you want totable hyper-sniper-accuracy, buy a Bergara B-14 HMT in 6.5CM. Or buy me one...
            "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
            -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
              In the long run, it's bad to shoot out of any barrel. Long Run = north of 5k rounds.

The whole gripe with those of us who want as near surgical precision that one can achieve with the caliber in a gas gun is that the bullet is not .264 (6.5mm) but .262. Yes that .002 makes a difference. There is also a large variance in neck tension (this I found out after processing 700+ rounds in my Moscow Match experiment). Those two features alone make for very inconsistent shooting ammo. I have not tried to shoot groups with it at range, but I would bet that you would be pushing 5 MOA out of a quality barrel past 300 yards when the velocity variance starts to show. That is into the next zip code when you are used to smacking a 4" plate at that range.
              Thanks with that in mind.... I think I will pass on buying it.
              I can use the $150 a case for this stuff on reloading components to build better shooting stuff.
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                I hear you but, aren't barrels consumables? At $250 for 1000 rounds of Wolf vs what, $8-900+ for the "good stuff"? Seems like a no brainer. You could buy a new barrel every thousand rounds and still be ahead.

I'll concede it's not a completely apples to apples comparison with regard to accuracy, and getting reusable brass with one and not the other. And I probably wouldn't shove it down a "premium" grade tack driver but........just a regular, run of the mill, off the rack sewer pipe? Why not?
                H1:

Never said anything about barrel life but I believe steel core and jacketed bullets wear a barrel more. A undersized bullet is not good for a barrel either but its your barrel.

You ask why not? I am not arguing with anyone here about buying it or something else.

Enough guys on the forum have been disappointed with the stuff for me. Aside from using it to destroy a AR-15 during a CQC course, its only value would be by pulling the bullet and replacing it with one that shoots decently.

To me, it is basically a lethal blank.

LR55

Comment

• murfvol
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

Wolf is lousy for precision, but terrific for introducing new shooters to the joys of hitting soft drinks and Tannerite at 100-300 yards.

I love the stuff. A couple of weeks ago some coworkers and their kids had a great time making orange soda and binary targets explode.

Having Wolf made for a cheap, fun afternoon. My average total cost is just under $0.28/round.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Here you go, I just saw this.......

Wolf MC 6.5 Grendel Ammo 100 Grain FMJ Steel Case at Target Sports USA. Enjoy free shipping on bulk 6.5 Grendel ammunition for sale online.

I shoot this crap outta my AKs but, I am not gonna mess with it out of a match grade barrel.
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Chornet44
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2017

Your barrel does know or care snag ammo you use. Steel case ammo is not going to wear out a barrel, the case is only in the chamber.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Chornet44 View Post
                        Your barrel does know or care snag ammo you use. Steel case ammo is not going to wear out a barrel, the case is only in the chamber.
                        Not exactly. Steel core wears the barrel faster, but you save enough money over time to buy multiple replacement barrels. An ammo comparison test.
                        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• murfvol
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2016

Exactly Tex. Say the delta between handloads and Wolf is $0.25. Every four rounds equals $1 in savings, so only 2,000 rounds pays for a $500 barrel.

My truck has 400,000+ miles on it, but I've replaced several alternators, water pumps, etc. Parts are made to be replaced.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Call it personal pref then.
                            I am not putting crap ammo in a rifle to have it shoot like crap just cause it is cheap.
                            Especially since the cases are not even re-loadable.
                            Again, I will pass......
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
                              Call it personal pref then.
                              I am not putting crap ammo in a rifle to have it shoot like crap just cause it is cheap.
                              Especially since the cases are not even re-loadable.
                              Again, I will pass......
                              It really is personal preference. And philosophy.
                              I generally have 2 grades of rifles/uppers. The shooters and the plinkers. Shooters get good ammo and decent glass, the plinkers get the cheap stuff and experimental parts. The Grendel is the first AR cartridge I didn't build a plinker rifle for first, but with Wolf ammo being so cheap I'll probably be building that 65G plinker soon enough.

I keep an eye out for good prices on replacement bolts and barrels etc... and buy whatever makes sense.
                              Just my personal pref/philosophy.
                              All are GTG running surplus in the unlikely SHTF scenario.

Comment

• centerfire
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2017

Call me crazy but 6.5G isn't exactly what I consider a "plinking" cartridge. If turning money into sound is your goal, you could do it for even less with the same results using a different chambering.

Where did all the Wolf ammo go? Who cares.

Comment

Working...
                                X