Looking For a 16" Pencil/Ultralight Profile 6.5G Barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Looking For a 16" Pencil/Ultralight Profile 6.5G Barrel?

Any ideas?

I've checked all the usual rack grade suspects, no joy. I suppose I could "contract" one out from one of the premium shops if necessary.

Juat thought I'd ask here first.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I've used the Odin Works 16" ultralite with great success. AA makes a liteweight 16" barrel and Faxon makes a 16" gunner I believe. All would be solid choices.

BA makes a 16" Hanson as well..

All mentioned barrels could produce 1 MOA with the right loads.

Comment

• Harpoon1
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
      I've used the Odin Works 16" ultralite with great success. AA makes a liteweight 16" barrel and Faxon makes a 16" gunner I believe. All would be solid choices.

BA makes a 16" Hanson as well..

All mentioned barrels could produce 1 MOA with the right loads.
      Kilco

Appreciate the thought and effort but they're all heavier than my 16" Faxon 223 Wylde pencil barrel (19 oz) that I'm trying match with a Grendel. Which is lighter than the Grendel 12.5 BA pistol build I just finished. Bummer!

The Faxon Gunner is closer than the others but it's still 5.5 oz more at 24.5 oz. The Odin Ultralite, AA and BA Hanson (already have 2 BA's) are right around 26-27 oz.

The Faxon Gunner may indeed be the best "value", ounce for ounce though. Might be worth eating those 5.5 oz vs several hundred dollars more for a custom profile premium barrel. Of course, if they can guarantee 1/2" moa............

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Someone...anyone...correct my perception if I'm wrong about this: I THINK I read somewhere that a pencil barrel profile similar to those found on a .223 wouldn't be a good idea with a larger caliber projectile. Is my memory failing me?
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Tex Nomex
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

With an equivalent profile, the larger caliber barrel will be larger in diameter, requiring more steel and weighing more than a .223.
          A pencil barrel .223 can have a .625 gas block, but I don't recall seeing a Grendel with one.
          I think the Faxon Gunner is about as thin as they go.
          Maybe lose an oz or 2 by machining off half the Gunner's gas block journal...?
          "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
          -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
            With an equivalent profile, the larger caliber barrel will be larger in diameter, requiring more steel and weighing more than a .223.
            A pencil barrel .223 can have a .625 gas block, but I don't recall seeing a Grendel with one.
            I think the Faxon Gunner is about as thin as they go.
            Maybe lose an oz or 2 by machining off half the Gunner's gas block journal...?
            I think your right, the .750 gas block diameter may be the minimum for the 6.5.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

I'd call McGowen and talk to someone there about how thin they'd make it. They have very reasonable prices for full custom barrels.

Create and order your custom McGowen AR-10 and AR-15.  This order form allows you to fully customize and buy your perfect replacement precision rifle barrel.  This barrel will be custom made for you to your specifications.  Easy to configure and order! Choose From These Options: AR Type: AR-15 or AR-10 Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                Someone...anyone...correct my perception if I'm wrong about this: I THINK I read somewhere that a pencil barrel profile similar to those found on a .223 wouldn't be a good idea with a larger caliber projectile. Is my memory failing me?

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

LOL! I stand corrected! Still, I think Tex Nomex had it correct; I don't think I've ever seen a Grendel barrel offered with a .625 gas block diameter.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                    I'd call McGowen and talk to someone there about how thin they'd make it. They have very reasonable prices for full custom barrels.

http://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/custom-ar-barrel/
                    Thats good intel!

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Harpoon, I would not recommend a pencil thin for the Grrr. Barrel harmonics would be off. I have an AA bbl.- ultralite in SS. , 16" that shoots just fine.- also for sale-

This is too fine of a caliber not to take advantage of all the work that went into it from the start. Bill A knows this round. hoop strength, etc. come to mind . Ask him, he's still with us here.

Why do you want so thin?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Why do you want so thin?
                        For the same reason they put thin barrels on the FAL and M14, too make it easier to "hump" around!

Already have enough heavy rifles!
                        Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Wounded if this went dead or dud he find a barrel?

I'm thinking of having adco reprofile to .625 and cut barrel down too 12 inch.

Comment

Working...
                          X