• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

please school me on suppressors

at the beginning of the year i ordered a larue surge 2.0. i have little to no knowledge of suppressors. how well do they quiet the 6.5 grendel? is there sub sonic ammo for it?? anything you can share with me will be appreciated.
    i read last night that the can that comes with it will fit on the muzzle device that came on my larue uu kit in 6.5g
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Each suppressor has it's own individual amount of noise reduction for each caliber. The .mil/.gov test requires it be tested by the muzzle at x" height and y" from the muzzle.

MAC did another test with the Db meter by the shooter (right ear) and was getting radically different results from the different suppressors. Some that were louder at the muzzle were quieter than others at the shooter ear, and others were not hearing safe, even though they were in the low 130s at the muzzle.

LRRPF52 gets congical visits IIRC with his while he is waiting for it to be released from NFA jail, hopefully he will chime in.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jonny rotton
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

will the larue suppressor work well with the 6.5g?? does some ammo work better than others in 6.5g??

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
        will the larue suppressor work well with the 6.5g?? does some ammo work better than others in 6.5g??
        Yes, the LaRue suppressor works well with the SUURG. It's a flow-through design, so back-pressure on the action is kept to a minimum, so adjustable gas is not needed.

6.5 Grendel suppresses very well in my experience. Exit pressure and case volume contribute to a very well-behaved system when suppressed for noise reduction.

Most of the 6.5 Grendels I've personally listened to suppressed have been quieted with ThunderBeast Ultra 5 suppressors.

As a shooter to the left of a suppressed 6.5 Grendel with TBAC Ultra 5, it was one of the quietest supersonic rifles I've ever heard.

I have yet to hear the SUURG in person. From everything I've seen of it, I want one.

I played with one for a while at SHOT last month, and the carbine balances really well.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

thanks for your reply and your information. i am really looking forward to getting the suurg 2.0. it might become my favorite grendel.

Comment

• outbreaker
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I suppress all my rifles including 3 Grendels. I use adjustable gas blocks on all AR-15s as I feel they are all over-gassed, but that is another thread.

They are as quiet as you can make a super sonic. The bullet impacts are as loud as the gun itself is. The huge plus is recoil reduction. My ARs in Grendel have such minimal recoil suppressed that I can actually watch the bullet hit the deer and pigs in the scope with minimal crosshair movement. This allows for the engagement of multiple pigs in a sounder very easy.

You will love your new can.

Comment

• Greyling
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

Haven't heard a grendel, but a 223 suppressed is not much louder than a 22lr rifle unsuppressed. 308 is pretty similar. The loudest part is the supersonic crack of the bullet going downrange. That's where the popularity of the 300 blackout comes from. They run a 200grn bullet subsonic (under 1050fls generally) and their guns are hearing safe. No supersonic rifle I have ever heard was hearing safe (or at least wasn't' hearing comfortable) to the shooter. But it wan't deafeningly loud like a regular rifle would be.

Comment

Working...
              X