• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVCOBRA1
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

AR-Comp published data

I see a few members on here have loads worked up and tested with the AR-Comp powder from Alliant. I have yet to be able to find any published data from any bullet maker for this powder. Even Alliant's web site is of no help. They have info for the 224 Valkyrie but none for the Grendel. The Grendel has been around longer than the Valkyrie. Going over all of the load "stickies" seems of no help because most are too old. I did order the manual from the Build Box guys but have my doubts any data will be in there also. Reminds me of when I bought the Sierra No. 7 two years ago and it didn't even have the 204 Ruger in it. No. 7's data wasn't much different than the No. 2 I bought forty years ago.

Is the AR-Comp so new there is no data for it? If someone has a link, please post it. I hate for you guys on here that are already using it to be guinea pigs but for now I will be going off of your postings. Thanks
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

I found a little bit at the Speer website but nowhere else. I understand that Speer load data is conservative.

Alliant really needs to get on with their AR-Comp testing and publish some Grendel data.

The old MSR Hunt website had a spreadsheet of loads with a good selection for AR-Comp, but those are all user developed and I don't see any way that some of them aren't above max pressure. The spreadsheet is now moved to the 6.5 Grendel group on the mewe.com website.
    Attached Files
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Speer finally published some data for AR-Comp for 90 gr, 120 gr, and 140 gr bullets. Their 90 gr data seems to match up reasonably well with other published sources. The 120 gr data seems to run 1 to 2 grains less than other sources for 120 gr bullets. This data is for a new 120 gr Gold Dot bullet that was just recently released. Speer's max load with AR-Comp under the 120 gr Gold Dot is 25.3 gr at 2418 fps. My guess, which I haven't tested yet, is that a max load for 120 and 123 gr SMK's or 123 gr Hornady bullets should be maybe 26 to 27 grains.

There are some user developed loads in the Grendel Handbooks for AR-Comp, that go up to 28 gr or so with 120-123 gr bullets.

I keep sending Alliant an e-mail every few months telling them I'd love to try some of their powders, but I'd really like to see some pressure data first.

Edit: I was typing while Crusty posted.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Look up Shooting Times articles on 6.5 Grrr, they had some load data published with a couple of articles a few years back. I would attach photos but I don't have them on this computer. This was data published by them, I do not know where they got their info from so take it with a grain of caution.

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

I'm running the 123grn Scenar and 27.9 grains of AR-COMP.
          About 2475 fps. Low ES and SD. pretty tight groups. COAL=2.260

*disclaimer*
          This load is for MY rifle. Please start low and work up as this MAY NOT BE SAFE in your rifle.
          Last edited by Jakal; 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM.
          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• beastep
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
            I'm running the 123grn Scenar and 27.9 grains of AR-COMP.
            About 2475 fps. Low ES and SD. pretty tight groups.

*disclaimer*
            This load is for MY rifle. Please start low and work up as this MAY NOT BE SAFE in your rifle.
            Just for comparisons Im running 26.0gr of AR Comp with 123 ELDM at just under 2500fps but Im loaded at 2.20 OAL. Just shows each barrel is way different. And I do have pressure signs at 26.0

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Rugerfan.64 View Post
              Look up Shooting Times articles on 6.5 Grrr, they had some load data published with a couple of articles a few years back. I would attach photos but I don't have them on this computer. This was data published by them, I do not know where they got their info from so take it with a grain of caution.
              Thanks Rugerfan but I would think loads from a few years back would not include ARComp.
              Crusty and Drillboss, I forgot to mention I did find that little bit of info from Speer.
              Still looking for more.
              Thanks guys.......

Comment

• Brett
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by CVCOBRA1 View Post
                Thanks Rugerfan but I would think loads from a few years back would not include ARComp.
                Precision 6.5 Grendel load data for AR-15 rifles; here's what you need to know.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

That link will allow you access to the data I was talking about. When I started researching this round the first article came out. The second after I started accumulating parts. These articles gave me a great starting point and I went from there. If you dig around and read this forum you'll find an answer or someone who can point you in the right direction. Good luck with it. I haven't tried anything else , I figured AR Comp would do everything I would ever need. Now I have a small stock pile

Comment

• Crusty
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

That article has one AR-Comp load and it's 28gr, way up past max (Speer says it's 25.3gr and they have pressure measuring instruments), and he even says in the article that a "prudent" reloader should decrease it by at least half a grain. Everything I've loaded past 27.0gr with 120gr bullets has shown over pressure signs (flat primers, extractor wipes, ejector indents, etc.) and I won't go there without using hBN coated bullets. I guess if a bore isn't tight it might be OK, but watch closely for pressure signs as you start getting past 27.0.
                    Last edited by Crusty; 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM.
                    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

My bad. That article is coming up on four years old and has AR-Comp in it. Going by the Alliant web sit I was guessing that AR Comp was a new kid on the block. That load in the chart is the second fastest of the whole bunch but if it is an overload I can see why. He also used three different kinds of brass and three different primers. I'm still trying to figure out which primer I need to use. I see some are using an AR primer (like CCI 41), or a benchrest primer, non-magnum or magnum.

Comment

• Crusty
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

The most common primer I've seen is CCI #450, Small Rifle Magnum. Probably needed with stick powders but probably not with spherical powders.

I've seen lots of "favorite" AR-Comp loads that are in what I consider the over max pressure region and I think that there's a significant number of people either shooting loose bores or ignoring pressure signs. For a spec bore, there appears to be an accuracy node around 26.8gr with 123's that doesn't show pressure signs and that's my max for uncoated bullets. My primers are no more flattened than are the primers on Hornady Black factory ammo.

Alliant could eliminate a lot of this experimentation by actually measuring and publishing some loads but I guess that's too much to ask.
                        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2018

This is the answer I got back from Alliant. I did ask about AR-Comp only even though he didn't mention it in his answer.
                          As for primers, CCI was always my choice back in the day. I do see several who also use Federal match for their loads here.

Richard,
                          At this time Alliant has no tested load data for the 6.5 Grendell.
                          I will submit your request to the engineering lab for possible future development. But, there is no timetable as to when this may be looked at for development.
                          Thanks,
                          Duane V.
                          Technical Services Rep
                          Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
                          2299 Snake River Ave
                          Lewiston, ID 83501
                          1-800-379-1732

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I sent a request to Alliant for load data for the 6.5 Grendel a month or two ago and got the exact same response. Maybe Alliant will see an opportunity for sales and do the testing and release reloading data.

Comment

• koden
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2014

Speer has ar comp data

Comment

Working...
                              X