• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

IMR 4198 and hornady 95 v max?

Wondering if anyone has experience with IMR 4198 hoghdon has data on there site and 95 v max. 22.5 grains @ 2470 starting. 25.2 grains @ 2740 max. As fast as cfe 223 in hornady's manual 33.5 grains @ 2700 max cfe.

Have a pound on the bench looking for a purose. Before I buy another powder.
    Last edited by BCHunter; 02-12-2018, 12:07 AM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I've not gotten into 4198. XBR8208, H335 and TAC (over 2700 I confess, but not at max) have been doing well for me with this bullet so haven't looked elsewhere. If you find some nice loads it'll be good to hear about them.
    What length of barrel, what build will you be using?
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

I'm a big fan of using pressure tested data. If I had 4198 in my cabinet, I'd be checking it out.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Don't forget that Hodgdon data is with a 24" barrel and Hornady is with either a 14.5 or 18" depending on which manual you have.

Comment

• BCHunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

Good point joseph5. I have a virgin18" Odin works with Odin BCG. In aero lower and upper. I just finished the build yesterday after receiving the replacement AGB. Scope is vortex viper 4-16x44. La rue md2s trigger.

hoping to break and sight in tomorrow with hornady black. Have reloads worked up with 100gr ttsx and r15 already. I picked up some cfe so will work up both cfe and 4198 under the 95 v max.
          Last edited by BCHunter; 02-17-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Doon
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
            Wondering if anyone has experience with IMR 4198 hoghdon has data on there site and 95 v max. 22.5 grains @ 2470 starting. 25.2 grains @ 2740 max. As fast as cfe 223 in hornady's manual 33.5 grains @ 2700 max cfe.

Have a pound on the bench looking for a purose. Before I buy another powder.

I have been loading 25 gn of AR2207 (H4198) 95 VMAX seated to 2.250 @2743 fps,( magneto speed) in a bolt gun. 3/4 moa.
            20.5 inch barrel.

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

well finall got my out in 2 different range sessions on my ladders,

95vmax and IMR 4198 from 18" Odin barrel
              P1070057 (1280x856).jpg
              22.5gr 2311, 2394, error
              chrono stopped working after this believe didn't have sufficient light, since bench is partially covered

I also had fail to feeds until I got to 24.5 grains and 25grains then the action cycled properly.

24.5 grains was my best group at .455" ctc so I'll reload plus .2 above and below and retest,...hopefully with the chrono sorted out.

The CFE.223 grouped much better, 29grains to 33.5 in .5 increments
              P1070055 (1280x856).jpg
              P1070054 (1280x856).jpg

again chrono didn't give readings,....best group .475" at 30.5 grains but 6 other charges around .6" groups one can't complain.

My evaluation is if you have IMR 4198 it will work with the 95 vmax and because of the lower powder charge would be cheaper, or more rounds reloaded vs CFE223 per pound,...6 grains less powder in my rifle of best groups. but this is also what most likely lead to the FTF on the lower loadings.

More testing to come,....and looking for suggestions on chronograph because my beta chrony just isn't reliable.

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                well finall got my out in 2 different range sessions on my ladders,

95vmax and IMR 4198 from 18" Odin barrel
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11357[/ATTACH]
                22.5gr 2311, 2394, error
                chrono stopped working after this believe didn't have sufficient light, since bench is partially covered

I also had fail to feeds until I got to 24.5 grains and 25grains then the action cycled properly.

24.5 grains was my best group at .455" ctc so I'll reload plus .2 above and below and retest,...hopefully with the chrono sorted out.

The CFE.223 grouped much better, 29grains to 33.5 in .5 increments
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11358[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11359[/ATTACH]

again chrono didn't give readings,....best group .475" at 30.5 grains but 6 other charges around .6" groups one can't complain.

My evaluation is if you have IMR 4198 it will work with the 95 vmax and because of the lower powder charge would be cheaper, or more rounds reloaded vs CFE223 per pound,...6 grains less powder in my rifle of best groups. but this is also what most likely lead to the FTF on the lower loadings.

More testing to come,....and looking for suggestions on chronograph because my beta chrony just isn't reliable.
                My Magnetospeed is strapped onto my barrel while my Chrony sits on the shelf.

Good stuff though. Keep it coming.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

+1 for the Magnetospeed, you don't have to worry about sunlight or anything.

Comment

• Doon
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2015

I have tried 8208, AR 2207 (H4198) AND CFE 223.
                    8208 was the best for speed and accuracy for me.

Comment

• Fat Albert
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

To All: Beware that H4198 and Imr4198 are not the same! Treat them as apples and oranges. I have used both in 222Rem-223Rem-6TCU. There is a difference.

Comment

• BCHunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2018

Thank you for the reminder Fat Albert, my loads were with IMR 4198

Comment

• Fat Albert
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Doom thanks: that's how data should be listed---- weight-exact powder-exact bullet-oal-speed and barrel length. Any thing less and its just useless facts. I am running Quick Load and a load with the bullet seated at 2.10 and 2.260 can be a difference of 4 or 5 thousands of psi. There is whole pages of data listed on this forum that is missing one or more of the six items. Always start low and work up

Comment

• Fat Albert
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2017

Doom: I ran your numbers and Hodgdon numbers with almost the same numbers but also has pressure info. You should be at 2590fps. Even with less powder and a longer oal you getting almost the same speed with 3 1/2" less barrel. The only way you can do that is that you are running at a higher pressure. I ran the numbers and with the speed you are going. Your at about 55,600PSI. You might have heavier cases (less vol) than Hodgdon is useing or a tighter barrel???

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

The Hodgdon 2017 load data mag has H4198 for the 95 Vmax, 6.5 Grendel. In their barrel 25.8 gr(c), 2.230 coal, yielded 2750 and 49,800 psi, which pressure is below the list SAAMI max pressure for the Grendel. Although I have not run any QL for the Grendel, others have reported here that the Grendel is pretty difficult to model successfully in QL.

Of course, since Doon's barrel is unique the MV and pressure from it could vary from the Hodgdon data, but does not seem to be out of line from published data, noting of course the usual disclaimers for his chamber, barrel, and powder lot#, environmentals, etc....

Comment

Working...
                              X