• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackthemundy
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Another Boar Meets Mr Grendel

20180211_200359.jpg

Here's another boar that showed up last night. Nailed this one in the head but was surprised to see that he still flopped around after getting hit. The bottom photo shows the exit wound.
    - 20" Grendel
    - factory Hornady 123gr SST ammo
    - Pulsar Trail XQ38 thermal
    - hit him on the left side of the head a couple of inches below the left ear
    - 95 yards
    - guessing I'd say 200 pounds
    This boy stunk like the dog. I have no idea what the sows see in these guys. If I smelled that bad I'd be living here in the woods all by myself !
  • beastep
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Cool stuff.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Good Kill!

There is an easy way to come up with very good weight estimates without a scale. You can use a measuring tape and take a heart-girth measurement. You simply get the smallest circumference of the chest behind, but as close to the front legs as possible, making sure the tape is pulled taut. The field estimate is number of inches times 10 and you subtract 200 from that. For example, if your measurement (best to try taking more than once to find the smallest circumference) is 41" and you multiply that by 10, you get 410. Subtract 200 and your weight in lbs is 210s. I have probably double checked 30 hogs using this method and it is usually within 10 lbs and often is spot on. I think the most I have been off is 20 lbs on a boar that was 230 lbs. You can do the math real math and get a slightly more precise estimate, but the difference is tiny. 41" would be 211 lbs if you use the full math.
      By Crystal N. Groesbeck, Kansas State University - Many 4-H participants and swine producers may not have access to an accurate scalefor weighing their pigs. Heart girth measurement can be a tool for

Anyway, it is more accurate than eyeballing or lifting to assess weight. Results are repeatable.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Excellent... these videoing of kills is great.

Comment

• 6.8 klr
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2014

Good Stuff there Jack.........!

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Very nice. BTW thanks for the handy method of judging weight DNS.
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• NightFisher
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

You guys are killing me.... No hogs here in Virginia, I guess that is a good thing but I would sure like to hunt them. Looking into a Guided Hunt down in North Carolina, If anyone knows a good bunch to go with let me know.

Comment

• sierracharlie338
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2018

Nice job! Adios Porker!! I love it

Comment

• jackthemundy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2018

Thanks, guys! DNS I really appreciate the tip on how to determine weight. I drove the tractor out to porky this afternoon to haul him off. Figured I try out your procedure when I lifted him up. Bad idea, unfortunately he was too ripe to try it, I had to fight the buzzards off to get to him. I'll carry a measuring tape with me next I go out. Thanks again.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

He did the dying cockroach right after the shot.

Nice clean kill.

I miss it when you say, "Adios muchacho!"
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Yes, the 'Adios Muchachos' has a certain unique panache to it. But, there was no doubting the sincerity of the 'Adios Porky!'

Nice shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X