• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaska_guy
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

My BCA Build.

Well, I am finally getting there. I decided to go with the 18" 5R fluted heavy barrel with melonite treatment due to a really good sale price.

It looks a little anemic, but couldn't resist mocking it up and taking a picture.

Need to decide on my handguard and gas block.

Thinking either UTG Slim Handguard 15" or Midwest Industries 15" MLOK. Love the midwest look, not so much the price. I like the alignment lockup on both models.

My plan is to use a toolcraft BCG, standard charging handle, thread protector for the muzzle, and I haven't decided on a gas block yet.

• BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Gettin' there. Love the ACS stock, only one I use these days.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

I thought I was the only one that mocked up my rifle while waiting for parts.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Have you gone to BCA and checked their prices? I really like my handguard and it's only $88. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/acc...-rail-anodized
        The BCG is on sale for $74 but unfortunately OOS. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bol...ndel-bcg65-15a
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• alaska_guy
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

I haven't looked into the BCA handguard. Have a picture of it mocked on your rifle?

Comment

• Randy99CL
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by alaska_guy View Post
            I haven't looked into the BCA handguard. Have a picture of it mocked on your rifle?
            Sure:AR1C.jpg

It is good and solid with 6 screws going into the barrel nut. No flex, plenty strong enough for a bipod even with my heavy barrel.

Seems to be popular, and it's a bargain. I don't see how some of those others cost 2-3x as much.
            Last edited by Randy99CL; 02-13-2018, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• alaska_guy
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

Thanks, yeah that does look good. Is the finish lighter in color like it shows on the website? Hard to tell... I know I am being picky, but I guess that's what we get to do when we build these things.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by alaska_guy View Post
                Thanks, yeah that does look good. Is the finish lighter in color like it shows on the website? Hard to tell... I know I am being picky, but I guess that's what we get to do when we build these things.
                It's as black as it can be. Their pic is lighter to show some detail.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

My first 6.5G was a complete BCA upper and I quite like the handguard that came on it. Pre and post-paint:
                  20170811_100446.jpg

20170823_075641.jpg

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                    My first 6.5G was a complete BCA upper and I quite like the handguard that came on it. Pre and post-paint.
                    I really like it, great job!
                    I'm planning on Duracoating mine, I've been watching the Montactical videos and haven't decided which scheme I want to paint yet. Kind of leaning toward RipTile or a Kryptek variant.
                    Montactical charges $500 for a paint job. I'm spending $100 on an airbrush and compressor and doing it myself.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                      I really like it, great job!
                      I'm planning on Duracoating mine, I've been watching the Montactical videos and haven't decided which scheme I want to paint yet. Kind of leaning toward RipTile or a Kryptek variant.
                      Montactical charges $500 for a paint job. I'm spending $100 on an airbrush and compressor and doing it myself.
                      Why, thank you kindly. I imagine an airbrush will produce much better results than the rattle cans I used. The biggest PITA is cutting stencils; buying a pre-made kit would save a whole lot of time.

Comment

• alaska_guy
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2018

Finally got mine assembled. Still waiting on my thread protector, but it's ready to shoot! Went with a matrix handguard and a toolcraft BCG.

grendel.pngIMG_1561.JPG

Comment

• Crracer712
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Good looking rifle, hand guard too!

Just wanted to mention for anyone running across this thread and wondering about the utg slim 15" hand guard, I built a rifle using one. I also have a Midwest as well. Both are a bit slimmer than the bca hand guard. I've got the bca hand guard on my Grendel upper. I will say the utg barrel nut and hand guard mounting setup is excellent! It's a better nut a mount setup than my Midwest imo. But I do like how the Midwest is perfectly round.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2013

Nice looking rifle. Get shooting, be safe and enjoy. Grendel is a great cartridge.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Crracer712 View Post
                              Just wanted to mention for anyone running across this thread and wondering about the utg slim 15" hand guard, I built a rifle using one. I also have a Midwest as well. Both are a bit slimmer than the bca hand guard. I've got the bca hand guard on my Grendel upper. I will say the utg barrel nut and hand guard mounting setup is excellent! It's a better nut a mount setup than my Midwest imo. But I do like how the Midwest is perfectly round.
                              I'll second this. I have been using a UTG pro slim mlok handguard for at least a couple years now and it's my favorite handguard to date. The best part is that the method used to attach the handguard to the barrel nut eliminates the need for any careful timing to line up threads and holes like some other designs (including BCA's).
                              Last edited by Dcommoncents; 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X