• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fox Fire
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Tubbs final finish bullets

I have some Tubbs final finish bullets left from another project. They are 140 gr. They appear to be Sierra FMJBT. Does anybody have a safe load for these using H BL-C2, Varget, or IMR 8208 XBR?
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Don't use em. Way too abrasive. Just break it in a few at a time- clean - same routine for 50--- Done. That's when your accuracy trys start.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 02-13-2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I put some KG-2 bore polish on some Wolf rounds in a new BCA barrel. Did I ruin it or was it already ruined?

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

End result of smooth is the idea.

If scratched by an abrasive mtl. , How can it remain smooth ? It's per application- some sanding of parts = grinding of other parts. Structural steel is a picky thing.

Grits of abrasive - range from 16--- all the way to 8000 grit . Adhesive grip is a real bugger.

Just run a patch of paste down the bore- by hand - not by shooting --- go back and forth 1-3 times then bail .

Worked well for me upon my 2008 buy of the 20" AA tube. It's a shooter...
        Last edited by sneaky one; 02-16-2018, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I wouldn't shoot them through a new barrel.

Joe Carlos has a good article on it where they proved to be useful on barrels with a lot of round count on them, smoothing things out to extend the accuracy life some, but never for a new barrel.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 98Z
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

They're useful on a rack grade barrel, something that is just been button cut and shipped (or any other method of rifling). Hammer forged barrels are pretty smooth, internally, and will see no benefit. Any match barrel that has been lapped won't see a benefit from these. They're useful, in the right conditions.

Comment

• SDet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

Any hardcoated barrel probably won't see any change.

Comment

• FOGII
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

I suggest reading some old Precision shooting articles written by some pretty technically gifted people. Check with folks such as Clint Fowler, Ken Johnson, or Boots Obermeyer or their thoughts. The last three recommended using the NECO process only.

Mr. Fowler use to offer it as an option when we was building rifles and had hard data on improvements.

Have to look through old copies of Precision Shooting but Mr. Obermeyer's opinion was that using the 800 and 1200 grit on best custom barrels with the 220 and 400 to be used on others.

I went to college Ken and Peggy's son. He is coming from an aerospace and kept data showing the improvements.

Do not use auto valve grinding compound or other cheaper kits on the market!

A few tips.
                1. Do not exceed 5 rounds between cleaning the barrel except for revolvers which goes the whole cylinder to keep things even.
                2. You need to get the barrel absolutely clean, this can be a real pain in certain cases (early
                Anacondas and Japanese made 25-06/257 Weatherby come to mind). JB bore paste is
                your friend as is the Foul out II.
                3. Borescopes are a great help in monitoring both cleanliness and progress.
                4. It is a lengthy process. Once the barrel is clean enough to initially start I plan on 4-6
                hours, most of which is spent cleaning.

Properly done I have yet to see a firearm that hasn't shown improvements in accuracy, larger round counts before required cleaning, and ease of cleaning. Accuracy improvements have ranged from small but measurable to dramatic. Round counts while maintaining accuracy have shown dramatic increases as the ease of barrel cleaning.

S/F, FOG

Comment

Working...
                X